Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Units posted to kilkenny

mgbarrett1

Hi all

I am trying to source information on units that were stationed in Kilkenny Ireland.

I have Sourced the units from 1800-1880 .

if you could help from 1914-1922 I know elements of the 2nd King Edward Horse were there in 1917. Any other info from 1880-1922 would be much appreciated.

regards

martin

• 2 weeks later...

Martin

39 Battery of 14th Brigade RFA were stationed in Kilkenny in 1902. The remaining two Batteries from the Brigade, 68 and 88, were at Limerick.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Another one done thanks

much appreciated

regards martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Re your enquiry about units stationed in Kilkenny the following is a police unit specially raised for the war of independence. "A" Company, Auxiliary Division Royal Irish Constabulary was stationed in Woodstock House, Innistioge, Co. Kilkenny for the duration of the war of independence. When they left after partition the local IRA burnt down the mansion house in case they came back. It is still a burnt out shell today. The OC was Capt C W V Webb, MC & 3 Bars MiD, formerly of K S L I.

Hope it is of use.

Erne

Thanks Erne

What i am really after are the military units that were stationed in kilkenny barracks

sorry i should have made it a little clearer

I actually have a copy of the letter on the handover of A coy at woodstock house.

regards Martin

Hello MGB,

Is there any chance that you could post the letter on the handover of "A" Company at Woodstock House. If not, do you have the date when they moved in, and the date when they moved out. I will be in Kilkenny on Monday 11th Oct. and hope to check out what is left of Woodstock House at Innistioge when I am there.

Dez

Dez, PM me with your email i will send it on

regards martin

Hello MGB,

Is there any chance that you could post the letter on the handover of "A" Company at Woodstock House. If not, do you have the date when they moved in, and the date when they moved out. I will be in Kilkenny on Monday 11th Oct. and hope to check out what is left of Woodstock House at Innistioge when I am there.

Dez

Martin,

Like Dez I would like to obtain a copy of the letter. I see Dez has been in touch with you re same. Dez and I keep in touch about the ADRIC and he his due to go back across the Atlantic shortly so hopefully he will see this reply and send me a copy.

Erne

Thanks Erne

What i am really after are the military units that were stationed in kilkenny barracks

sorry i should have made it a little clearer

I actually have a copy of the letter on the handover of A coy at woodstock house.

regards Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Erne I will send it on as soon as i can get it from the museum which is closed for a few days.

regards Martin

Martin,

Like Dez I would like to obtain a copy of the letter. I see Dez has been in touch with you re same. Dez and I keep in touch about the ADRIC and he his due to go back across the Atlantic shortly so hopefully he will see this reply and send me a copy.

Erne