Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st July 1916 Casualty

Roy Evans

Interesting point! Get them valued by a medal dealer or the like, but would all dealers be consistent in their valuations as I would presume the insurance company would like some documentation. Just a thought.

David

I mean I wasn`t aware that the monetary distinction existed. From my limited knowledge of 1/7/16 casualties, I`d guess about 20%-30% have known graves - do your figures support that?

I`ve been pondering this reported difference in value between those with and those without known graves. It might be thought that the man with NKG is the ultimate WW1 victim - denied even the mark of respect of a named grave or probably a Christian burial. But I don`t suppose one can argue with the market forces.

and it is a Lonsdale Battalion man.

Lonsdale Battalion eh, TT?

Have you seen this?

It might be of interest.

Cheers,

Nigel

Perhpas veering off the topic a little.............but, how can I tell the value of what medals I have for insurance purposes?

Whatever you do, don't take them to one of those programs on TV, especially that one where the bunch of chancers and pikeys try to buy the stuff off of you!

Yes, seen those - none of them seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to medals - even the so called "militaria" experts on the Antiques Road Show don't have a clue.

Agree with squirrel entirely.

It's laughable when you watch some so called "expert" on one of the many antique shows on TV value medals.

They are always way off the mark. I saw one recently where they valued a British War Medal & Victory Medal pair with Memorial Plaque for about £80... I even think the Memorial Scroll was included as well.