Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cornwall RGA (TF)

Hoplophile

Prior to mobilisation, the Cornwall RGA of the Territorial Force included two heavy companies. These were distinguished from the other coastal defence heavy batteries by their possession of 6" (30 cwt.) howtizers. (The others had 4.7" guns.)

Can anyone tell me if these two heavy batteries went overseas as complete units. If they did so, were they re-equipped with other weapons or converted into siege batteries?

I am no expert and so could be off track here.

From 1914-18 the Cornwall RGA manned St.Anthony Battery on St.Anthony Head which along with guns at Pendennis & St Mawes Castle defended the port of Falmouth.

Prior to the War 105 Coy RGA had manned the battery which had 2 x 6 VII Guns.

The attached is a page from a 10 page history of the battery (built 1900-04) which includes a plan of the battery camp and of the magazine.

If this of use please e-mail me off forum and I will scan the document and e-mail to you.

Dave

Many thanks for your help - and offer to help further on this.

I'm interested in these two heavy batteries because they seem to have been the only two TF heavy batteries that were armed with 6" howitzers prior to the war. Does the 10-page history mention them in this context?

Sorry - No mention of what the Cornwall RGA were armed with pre-war. The guns at St.Anthony were fixed guns as per the illustration in my previous post.

Dave