Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery


Peter Taylor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Two more men who enlisted into the Bolton Artillery Reserve Brigades in 1915.

711645 Bdr William Henry Rhodes MM. LG 30873 26/08/1918 (Bolton). MM Card RFA (TF) att HQ 66.

710720 Gnr Robert Vickers MM. LG 30873 26/08/1918 (Bolton). MM Card C/330 Bde.

William enlisted on 25/10/1915. He was pictured in the Bolton Journal 24/05/1918 and it was reported that he had been awarded the MM. He had enlisted in October 1915. The BJ 04/04/1914 pictured him and reported that he had been presented with the MM by the Mayor. The award was won at Villers Bretonneux for maintaining telephone communications under heavy artillery fire.

Robert enlisted on 07/04/1915. He was pictured in the BJ 21/06/1918. The report said that he had won the MM for gallantry on 21/03/1918.

006.JPG

011.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitter Sgt John Nuttall 844 / 710160 DCM. DCM Card 211 Brigade. LG 31370 03/06/1919 (Bolton) mention & LG 31819 09/03/1920 citation.

The Bolton Journal 06/06/1919 in Local Military Honours reported the award of the DCM to 710160 Fitter S/Sgt J Nuttall of 211 Bde . The BJ 19/09/1919 pictured him and reported that he had gone to Egypt with the Bolton Artillery in 1914 and had also served in the Dardanelles and Palestine. He had won the award at Cambrai in November 1918 for keeping a gun in action under heavy shell fire.

The citation reads that between September and December 1918 he visited guns in action and made repairs under fire.

 

010.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are the last two Bolton Artillery men mentioned in the newspapers (apart from one other who I am struggling to find - more about him tomorrow).

710584 Sgt Harry F Haslam MSM. LG 31132 17/01/1919 (Bolton 66 East Lancs Div AC)

710634 L/Bdr John Williams MSM. LG 30750 14/06/1918 and correction LG 31061 10/12/1918 (Dunscar).

Harry was pictured in the Bolton Journal 21/02/1919. The report said that he had joined the Colours in 1914 and was still in France with 66 Div RFA . He was pictured in the BJ 16/06/1916 in a group picture of 2/20 Bty at Buxted as Cpl H F Haslam. 

John was pictured in the BJ 04/04/1919. He had enlisted in January 1915. The MSM was awarded in June 1918 for meritorious service and devotion to duty. He has the same address as Sgt William Williams MM (see post 06/07/2021) 82 a Cox Green Rd. There is a family resemblance.

004.JPG

009.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the list of recruits to the Bolton Artillery Reserve Brigades from the weekly Bolton Journal 23/04/1915. The number 16 next to the names means that the names appeared in the Bolton Evening News "Rally to the Flag" on 16/04/1915. I am going through all those who enlisted in 1915 to see if I can find service numbers etc. At first glance on this list I am unable to find William D Hickman, George Howell, Albert Inman, Joseph Parnell, Herbert Peers, William Robinson, James Warburton and John Young but I am working on it. Some e g John S Bates were home service only, some e g John Britton, James England and Jacob Hulme were discharged in 1915/1916 (James England for lying about his age on enlistment. See WO 364 Eng 1229) but it is Albert Inman 72 Lyon St who I want to identify.

The 1911 Census seems to have the Inman family in two houses in Bolton.

72 Lyon St has Elizabeth Ann Inman 54 married b Hanley, John William Inman 29 son b Hanley, Mary Inman 20 dau b Hanley and Harry one month old.

1 Melville St has John William Inman 55, Albert Inman 20 son b Hanley and Florence Inman 10 dau.

Lyon St no longer exists but I know where it was and it is not close to Melville St.

The Bolton Journal 30/05/1919 reported on the home coming of the Bolton Artillery and pictured the troops marching towards the depot on Silverwell St. The report commented on the number of MCs, DCMs, MMs and Allied Awards on display and "One young man Gnr A Inman had the CDG with two Bars".

Not only can I not find a service number for Albert Inman (assuming he is the Gnr A Inman referred to) but I can not find A Inman CDG in the LG 1917 to 1919. 

001.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

As I go through my Bolton Artillery Index trying to put service numbers to names (I'm working on H at the moment) more recipients of Awards are turning up. 

1517/710644 Gnr Robert Heald MM - LG 30873 29/08/1918 (Bolton) - MM Card B/285 Bde. He is named in the 285 Bde WD in May 1918 (57 Div) with other Awards.

He is named in the Bolton Chronicle 27/11/1915 in the Roll of Honour for Mawdsley St PSA Brotherhood (Pleasant Sunday Afternoon so I was once told) as Gunner 18 Battery. His MRIC shows that he went out to Egypt on 26/07/1915. He was admitted to 139 FA (MH 106/178) on 11/10/1917 Unit shown as B/211 Bde and to 18 GH on 30/09/1918 (MH 106/1166) Unit shown as B 285. I can not find a report of his MM in the Bolton Papers.

711671 Gnr Fred Hodson MM - LG 31173 11/02/1919 (Bolton) - MM Card C/178 Bde.

The Bolton Evening News 28/04/1915 "Rally to the Flag" shows that he enlisted into the Bolton Artillery. I can not find a report of his MM in the Bolton Papers.

891/710164 Dvr Thomas (Tom) Beech Holt MM - LG 31469 23/07/1919 (Bolton). Shown as B Holt in the LG. MM Card shows 37 Bty. Named in the WD of 27 Bde RFA (5 Div) November 1918.

No trace MM in the Bolton Papers.

Another Bolton Artilleryman who was awarded the MM serving with 37 Bty 27 Brigade 2465 / 715900 Dvr Thomas Slater. LG 31173 11/02/1919 (Bolton). The Bolton Evening News "Rally to the Flag" 08/10/1915 shows T Slater 7 Union Rd enlisting into the Bolton Artillery. 1911 Census shows Thomas age 14 at that address. 

No trace MM in the Bolton papers. 

Peace Day in Bolton was celebrated on 19/07/1917. 

EDIT 14/10/2021

Another MM in the Peace Gazette 31469

710442 Sig H R Lumby (Bolton) D/250 Bde. MRICs and SMARs have him as Harry Lumby but his MM card says Henry Reesby Lumby. On the 1911 Census at 19 Fairfield St Bolton is Henry Reesly (or Reesby) Lumby age 40 head and son Henry age 11. No mention in the WD of 250 Bde which goes up to July 1919 nor in 50 Div A&QMG. No mention in the Bolton papers. 

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 14:21, brianmorris547 said:

As I go through my Bolton Artillery Index trying to put service numbers to names (I'm working on H at the moment) more recipients of Awards are turning up. 

1517/710644 Gnr Robert Heald MM - LG 30873 29/08/1918 (Bolton) - MM CArd B/285 Bde. He is named in the 285 Bde WD in May 1918 (57 Div) with other Awards.

He is named in the Bolton Chronicle 27/11/1915 in the Roll of Honour for Mawdsley St PSA Brotherhood (Pleasant Sunday Afternoon so I was once told) as Gunner 18 Battery. His MRIC shows that he went out to Egypt on 26/07/1915. He was admitted to 139 FA (MH 106/178) on 11/10/1917 Unit shown as B/211 Bde and to 18 GH on 30/09/1918 (MH 106/1166) Unit shown as B 285. I can not find a report of his MM in the Bolton Papers.

711671 Gnr Fred Hodson MM - LG 31173 11/02/1919 (Bolton) - MM Card C/178 Bde.

The Bolton Evening News 28/04/1915 "Rally to the Flag" shows that he enlisted into the Bolton Artillery. I can not find a report of his MM in the Bolton Papers.

891/710164 Dvr Thomas (Tom) Beech Holt MM - LG 31469 23/07/1919 (Bolton). Shown as B Holt in the LG. MM Card shows 37 Bty.

Again, no trace in the Bolton Papers.

Peace Day in Bolton was celebrated on 19/07/1917. 

My great uncles were both in the Bolton Artillery - all I know is that Gnr Ernest Charles Hardman (Service No 1121 / 710336) was with A battery 211 Bgde ( KIA at Ypres 26.10.1917) and my grandfather Dvr Walter Hardman (Service No 676681 / 3533) A battery 285 Bdge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harveyz said:

Gnr Ernest Charles Hardman (Service No 1121 / 710336) was with A battery 211 Bgde ( KIA at Ypres 26.10.1917

A Pre War enlistment with 3rd East Lancashire Brigade RFA TF

1 hour ago, Harveyz said:

Dvr Walter Hardman (Service No 676681 / 3533) A battery 285 Bdge

55th DAC to 275th Bde., May to October 1916 direct or via 278th Bde. - 1st West Lancashire Brigade RFA TF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Porter said:

A Pre War enlistment with 3rd East Lancashire Brigade RFA TF

55th DAC to 275th Bde., May to October 1916 direct or via 278th Bde. - 1st West Lancashire Brigade RFA TF

Hi David. - Thanks for the information. -  if you have any further details about Walter/Ernest I would love to hear more -  unfortunately my grand father Walter died when I was young so I was unable to get any information and his medals/effects end up with another family member and lost.   I managed to find Walter post war military record - we served as a Territorial  after the war for a long time but no details of his enlistment or war records - save for medal cards etc....

Walter also lost if brother Harry Hardman in the same action at Ypres. -  he was a Scots Guard KIA 10.10.1917

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bolton Journal 02/11/1917 pictured Gnr E C Hardman of 611 Halliwell Rd and reported that he had been killed on 28/09/1917. His sister lived at 73 Gibbon St. He had been mobilized on the outbreak of war, so as David says, a pre war enlistment with 3 ELB. The Bolton Chronicle 02/11/1917 reported that not only had he been killed but his brother Pte H Hardman had been killed on 10/10/1917. Ernest Charles is named on the Bolton Artillery Memorial in Nelson Sq.

I normally go to Bolton Library on Tuesday but might not get a chance today. Tomorrow or Thursday I will get copies of the newspaper articles including the picture.

Was Walter from Bolton. He may be named in Rally to the Flag if he enlisted in 1915. All names are indexed so I will find him if he is there.

Brian

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Brian -  thanks for the information that would be great  -  yes Walter was from Bolton (another member of the family has traced the Hardman's in Bolton back to 1642 )  -  611 Halliwell Road was the Hardman family home.   Harry was a strange one. -  he was a regular in the Lancashire Fusilers before the war, so not sure how he ended up in the 1st Btn the Scots Guards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Harveyz said:

Hi Brian -  thanks for the information that would be great  -  yes Walter was from Bolton (another member of the family has traced the Hardman's in Bolton back to 1642 )  -  611 Halliwell Road was the Hardman family home.   Harry was a strange one. -  he was a regular in the Lancashire Fusilers before the war, so not sure how he ended up in the 1st Btn the Scots Guards 

There are some details about Harry on FMP under 15330. His Scots Guards Attestation records that he enlisted on 11/12/1915 at Barrow. He was 22 years 11 months and a Labourer. His Scots Guards Service Record contains his original Attestation form showing that he enlisted into the LFs at Manchester on 06/06/1911. It also shows that he attested on 11/12/1915 and was put on the General Reserve. He was mobilized on 25/02/1916 and posted to 3 Bn Scots Guards (the Depot Bn). It has details of a brush with authority before he was posted to 1 Bn SG on 10/08/1917. The Register of Soldier's Effects (on Ancestry) names mother Mary as Sole Leg.

The Register of Soldier's Effects for Ernest Charles names his sisters and sister in laws in case you have not seen this.

I will get the newspaper reports for Ernest and Harry and also try and find Walter in "Rally to the Flag", which names recruits in 1915.

Watch this space on Thursday.

Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

There are some details about Harry on FMP under 15330. His Scots Guards Attestation records that he enlisted on 11/12/1915 at Barrow. He was 22 years 11 months and a Labourer. His Scots Guards Service Record contains his original Attestation form showing that he enlisted into the LFs at Manchester on 06/06/1911. It also shows that he attested on 11/12/1915 and was put on the General Reserve. He was mobilized on 25/02/1916 and posted to 3 Bn Scots Guards (the Depot Bn). It has details of a brush with authority before he was posted to 1 Bn SG on 10/08/1917. The Register of Soldier's Effects (on Ancestry) names mother Mary as Sole Leg.

The Register of Soldier's Effects for Ernest Charles names his sisters and sister in laws in case you have not seen this.

I will get the newspaper reports for Ernest and Harry and also try and find Walter in "Rally to the Flag", which names recruits in 1915.

Watch this space on Thursday.

Brian

Hi Brian. Thanks for the information on Harry  this is massively usefully. -  I trawled  ancestry and Force War Records and not unearthed anything of any use -  all I knew from my Mum was uncle Harry was a bit of a bad lad and Walter being the eldest son took Harry down to the recruitment office to put him in the army and out of harms way.   The LF had been mentioned in his entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour - does his attestation mention his service number in the LF. -  my guess he served in India before the war.   Another twist in the tale. -  Ernest, whilst he was called Hardman we was not in fact a blood relative of my Grandfather - Walter -  the story was he was my Grandfather best friend at school and when his Mother died and his Father remarried, then passed away he wasn't wanted by his step mother and came to live with Walter and Family at 611 Halliwell Road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That explains why Walter age 20 and Harry age 16 are on the 1911 Census at 29 Lumsden St Bolton with father Robert, mother Mary Agnes and five siblings and two streets away at 98 Clarendon St is Ernest Charles age 20 with Hetty age 26 (Head) and Mary Stones ? age 24. 

Harry was given number 2348 when he enlisted into the LFs on 11/06/1911. His age is shown as 18 years and 5 months (discrepancy with census - which are not always accurate). There are no details of which Bn he served in nor any details of his service. 

His age is given first as 22 years and 11 months (in the SGs enlistment register) and 21 years and 11 months (SGs Service Record) when he attested on 11/12/1915. 

You can get FMP at your local library if you do not already have it. I think Forum rules prevent me from posting the forms.

When I identify an address I always like to see if the house is still there today. Halliwell Rd and Gibbon St are still there, but not all the original terraced housing has survived. Clarendon St has been rebuilt but 29 Lumsden St still exists. Halliwell Rd is a main road out of Bolton whereas the other three addresses were among the mills.

Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

That explains why Walter age 20 and Harry age 16 are on the 1911 Census at 29 Lumsden St Bolton with father Robert, mother Mary Agnes and five siblings and two streets away at 98 Clarendon St is Ernest Charles age 20 with Hetty age 26 (Head) and Mary Stones ? age 24. 

Harry was given number 2348 when he enlisted into the LFs on 11/06/1911. His age is shown as 18 years and 5 months (discrepancy with census - which are not always accurate). There are no details of which Bn he served in nor any details of his service. 

His age is given first as 22 years and 11 months (in the SGs enlistment register) and 21 years and 11 months (SGs Service Record) when he attested on 11/12/1915. 

You can get FMP at your local library if you do not already have it. I think Forum rules prevent me from posting the forms.

When I identify an address I always like to see if the house is still there today. Halliwell Rd and Gibbon St are still there, but not all the original terraced housing has survived. Clarendon St has been rebuilt but 29 Lumsden St still exists. Halliwell Rd is a main road out of Bolton whereas the other three addresses were among the mills.

Brian

Thanks Brian  -  the census is probably right  -  my Mum mentioned that Harry was a big lad and passed himself off as 18 at the recruitment office -  my granddad signed his papers.  611 Halliwell road is still around - I been passed many times when over in Bolton.  didn't know about Lumsden st

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Folk's

 

I've been stalking the wrong Walter Hardman for the last 12 months  -  I managed to find my grandfathers territorial records on FMP - based on his DOB  -  just for the record he served in Territorial Bolton RFA from 1920 - 1935.  while checking these record I found his original service number given as Ser No 1003  3rd East Lancs RFA.  On checking the corresponding medal card - shows he transferred as a corporal to labour corp in 1917   service number 156530.   From what /I have read soldier who were not deemed A1 fit would be moved to labour corp. this may fit with what my mother told me, that her dad had been wounds in the war and returned to the front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1914-15 LC Medal Rolls for 156530 show that Walter was 1003 20 Bty RFA wth a disembarkation date 05/11/1914 Egypt. 20 Bty was 3 East Lancs Brigade (Bolton Artillery). His post war Territorial Service papers are on Ancestry Filmstrip WO 363 Har 39652. I think that Walter would also have been a pre war Bolton Artillery Territorial. I am back in the library next Tuesday but I checked the indexes yesterday with no result. I will put Walter on my Bolton Artillery Index.

Brian 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brian,

Ive just got a copy of the 1920 history of the 42nd Div.   Whilst to focus is on the Lancashire Fusilier, East Lancashire and Manchester infantry Brigades the RFA good a good mention.  

As an example it lists the 1st (Blackburn) and 3rd (Bolton) RFA E Lancs Brigades embarking for Egypt with a total of 55 officers and 1289 men.  3 RFA comprising the 18th, 19th and 20th Batteries. 

Both Brigades of course went with the Div to Gallipoli.

The  book has a roll of honour and award section at the back.  The awards section doesn't say what arty unit but there is along list of awards for arty men and officers. 

let me know if your interesting in any elements 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/10/2021 at 07:08, brianmorris547 said:

The 1914-15 LC Medal Rolls for 156530 show that Walter was 1003 20 Bty RFA wth a disembarkation date 05/11/1914 Egypt. 20 Bty was 3 East Lancs Brigade (Bolton Artillery). His post war Territorial Service papers are on Ancestry Filmstrip WO 363 Har 39652. I think that Walter would also have been a pre war Bolton Artillery Territorial. I am back in the library next Tuesday but I checked the indexes yesterday with no result. I will put Walter on my Bolton Artillery Index.

Brian 

Thanks Brian  - that would be really helpful -  all this information has really kick started by project again after being stalled for a long while. -  thanks again for all your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The library has a history of the Bolton Artillery by B Palin-Dobson which lists Awards in an appendix, however it does not include some of the men who enlisted into the Bolton Artillery Reserve Brigades but who were decorated serving with other Units. It is these that I am trying to find at the moment. The WD of the 42 Div A&QMG lists all the 42 Div Awards 1917 to January 1919 so it only misses the names in the Peace Gazette July 1919.  

Brian

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...