Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Lincolns in 1915

Graham-McAdam

I have been loaned the diary of Sgt E Goodacre for most of 1915 - Feb. 26th to the end of the year. He was at Bailleul, Dranouter, Wytschaete at the start.

When I have time (ha ha) I'll transcribe it, but if anyone would like any days described, let me know.

He calls his regiment 4th Lincolns, but, from the home site I see they were probably 1/4th territorials. he was in D Company and something that looks like I.M.M. Division. Could be 1 N. M - North Midlands, but still doesn't seem to make sense. Any ideas?

Thanks, all

Hi Graham,

The 4th Lincolns are my "pet" battalion and I would love to have a transcription of the diary-happy to pay for the associated costs.

The "4th Lincolns" would have been the title of the battalion prior to the raising of the 2nd Line, thence becoming 1/4th and the 2/4th battalions.

The 1/4th Lincolns were part of the Lincolns and Leics Brigade of the 1st North Midland Divison, before the formation was renamed the 46th (North Midland) Division. In early 1918 the 1/4th and 2/4th were combined to form the 4th Lincolns, serving in the 59th Division.

Martin Middlebrook has written a book which you might find interesting "Captain Staniland's Journey" which has a fair amount on the 4th Lincolns and their Division especially in 1915. I found it very different to Kaisers Battle, 1st Day of the Somme etc but still very useful if you have an interest in this particular unit.

I have a number of "Goodacre" men in my battalion database. Most likely candidate is L/Sgt Edward Goodacre, who had the following service numbers:

383, and after the renumbering 200014. From his initial number I would suspect he was a pre 1908 member. D Company (before the halving of companies from 8 to 4) was one of two Lincoln companies.

Jim

Yes, Jim, that's the man. the diary has his number as 383 and his rank as "La Sgt". I'd never seen the rank before, so looked it up and can see it existed, but where did Lance Sergeant come in the hierarchy - and did it disappear later?

I'm afraid it will be well into August before I can do much work on it - especially as the writing is jolly tricky - but let me know if you'd like a day or two sooner.

I've already come across the first of the inevitable mysteries - on April 21st "Lieut. Hurst is killed" then buried at Dranouter on April 24th. This doesn't seem to match CWGC data, though I've only had a quick look.

Thanks for all your information. I'll certainly order the Middlebrook. Always good to have an excuse to buy a new MM

Graham,

I've a funny feeling that a certain person in Colorado is doing cartwheels! A great find.

I am researching the 5th Lincolnshire battalion who were in the same (46th North Midland) division as the 4th. I like Jim would be extremely interested in a transcription of L/Sgt Goodacres' diary.

Jim, earlier this year, pointed me in the direction of a published diary of a 1/5th officer which covered the same period. I understand the timescale involved in typing up the diary but it would be interesting to perhaps swop and compare them. especially as both battalions shared the same trenches.

The 1/4th alternated trench tours with the 1/5th Leicesters and the 1/5th Lincolns alternated with the 1/4th Leicesters.

I would second Jim's recommendation regarding M.Middlebrooks book you would find it most interesting.

Best regards,

Steve.

Hi Graham and Steve,

Graham-sure one of the experts will be able to give you chapter and verse regarding the Lance-Sgt designation. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue...

Lt Hirst (Wilfred Bertram) died during one evening by a stray German shot some 300 yds to the rear. Maybe it was the night of 21/22 April 1915, which could accounts for the differences. Interestly in Middlebrook's book there is a small extract of a letter sent by a fellow officer concerning his death. Officers Died shows him as DoW.

Thanks again for the making this resource available, please feel free to post any more questions or mysteries, I'm sure we'd all love to try to figure them out!

Steve-not sure about the cartwheels-still a little sore from that race...but couldn't believe my luck! Also finally making headway on H.T. Springthorpe-must be my week.

Jim

Yes - W B Hirst is the man. Easy enough to get from Hirst to Hurst in spoken English!