Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills Bomb Grenade Boxes

GWRCo

Hi all!

Can any member help please! I'm after info on the wooden internal fittings of the No: 5, No: 23 & No: 36 grenade boxes.

I'm in the middle of making up said boxes for a museum here in N.Ireland, and i'm after the layouts & sizes of the wood fitments within them. I know the 23 & 36 boxes were very similiar inside (the 36 had a small gap either side for the gas check plates to be slotted behind), but i have only seen a couple of photies showing the insides of the No:5 grenade box complete with grenades from contempory photos.

It also seems that the 23 & 36 boxes were also a bit longer and wider than the No:5 box.

Further, does anyone know where i can get detonator tins (or lookalikes) for the said boxes, plus det tin labels etc. I can get repro 'u' shape spanners for the base plugs no problem.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated!

tim

Tim,

I cannot help with the box internals etc but tommys pack fillers have listed a complete Mills crate label set in their past catalogue. Includes outer explosive labels, internal lid labels, det tin lid labels etc.

However, I cannot find it on the current website above. I am sure det tins could be reproduced from similar current commercial tins.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Conductor

I think tins from current military demolition accessories would be fine for det tins.

The current tins hold rubber sleeves and metal clips for use with det cord. The wooden insert would have to be made by yourself though.

:D

Hi C!

I know what you mean about the det tins, i'm in a T.A unit and we are assault troopers, and we can't even get the det-tins! Even when i went on my demolitions course a few years back (near Blackbushe airport), even the regular instructors didn't have them!!

It seems to be a common piece of kit, but is also a bit of a rarity - just have to keep searching!!

tim

I have an example of a WW1 No.5 grenade box ... what info/size measurements do you require for the internals?

regards, Steve