Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gambia Company in German Kamerun

bushfighter

• 2 weeks later...

Well I enjoyed finding out about the exploits of the Gambia Company. Another fascinating and well researched account of a little known unit and their modest but valuable contribution to the Campaign in West Africa. The memorial in Banjul must rank as one the least visited and most tucked away in the former British Empire. Definitely worth chasing up as is the article on the Magadi Defence Force (see post of 06/08/10).

thanks Harry

james w

• 1 month later...

Very interesting Harry. I am currently analyzing and contrasting Farwell and Strachan's accounts of the Kamerun campaign. It was enligtening to read up on the Gambian Company. I particularly enjoyed reading about the action with Haywood on the road to Jaunde. Thanks.

As we are in Kamerun , perhaps this site might be of interest

http://www.mandaras....ownloading.html

includes the following accounts

The Cameroon Diary of Lt. Arthur Lees 1914-1915

Hauptmann von Raben's Letter (with reproduction)

Damis, F., Auf dem Moraberge: Erinnerungen an die Kämpfe der 3. Kompanie der ehemaligen Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe für Kamerun.

Steve & Olav

Many thanks for the images and information.

I hope that the Cameroons Campaign starts to attract more attention.

Harry

Steve thanks for the pic of the Memorial. Things like this really help me in my research.

Olav thanks for the link to the Lees, von Raben, Damis Christmas connection. That was fascinating. I am sure I will be able to use that in my report ,specifically in contrast to Farwell's brief account of Gorges denial for a German requested Christmas truce prior to his taking Deschang.

• 4 years later...

Many thanks for this information; I have many good friends in The Gambia and we have been discussing WW1 together. Apart from family stories they are not really aware of the contributions of their soldiers. I found the article really interesting and will share it with them when I visit again next year.