Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a Croix de Guerre

Guest bookemdano

Hello Peter.

Sounds like a fascinating piece of research.

One question though. Does the remit of this cover those that are awarded the Croix de Guerre in basically an honours list or for services provided during the Great War period?

Best wishes and good luck in your research.

Chris.

Hi Andy

I have a data base I have been working on for approx 10 years,that has over 37.000 names that are gazetted for foreign awards for the WW1 period. I do not claim that it is 100% but must be very close.

I have checked & I do not have J V CODMAN listed.

As I tell every one, there were cases especially with the French & Serbs, where medals were given to Commonwealth service men & women, & no permission was given by the commonwealth for them to be accepted( I have a few in my collection). These were not gazetted but are usually mentioned in unit War Diaries as awarded. I have a 14 star trio with Russian medal to a Red Cross nurse that is not gazetted but authority was given in the British Nursing Journal that she was awarded the medal.

So you have to do a lot of research to prove or disprove the award.

If you do prove the award could I ask that you let me know the details so I can add them to my data base.

Peter

Peter

Many thanks for your time. I guess I had better get to work!!

I originally purchased the medals because Codman is a family name and being fairly unusual I thought he may be related. Havn't made the connection yet though.

Again thanks and if I do find out I will let you know.

Andy

Hi Peter.

A fascinating project, and, no doubt will be added to as research continues.

I have one man in my family awarded the Croix de Guerre who very little is known about, and, to be honest, that i have conducted very little if any research on. No mention in awards to the regiment that makes me think it is post 1919.

All i can quote is The National Roll Of Honour, Leeds:

Holliday, H., Sergt., 10th (Prince of Wales' Own Royal) Hussars.

He volunteered in October 1914, and after a period of training proceeded to the Western Front, where he was wounded in action in 1915. He took part in the Battles of Albert,Amiens, and Bapaume, and other important engagements, and was also attached to the French Army as an interpreter for two years. He was demobilised on the cessation of hostilities, but re-enlisted in the R.E., and in 1920 was still serving in France. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre for conspicuous bravery in the Field, and holds also the 1914-15 Star, and the General Sevice and Victory Medals.

8, Isles Lane, Holbeck, Leeds.

Best wishes.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only suggest that you look up local news papers & the Units War Diary, as no citations were given in the LG.

He would have been entitled to wear both.

Peter

Under British Military regulations concerning the wear of Foreign awards

then would not the C dG with the Silver Star (his second award)

supersede the first award?

And if the the second awarded C dG were dated to a specific year of the war, then that would be the one in wear on ceremonial / post WW1 occasion on a medal bar, for example his first award was 1915, the second award 1916, 17, 18, if you get my drift :D

Connaught Ranger

Hello Peter,

I would be most grateful if you could please check your database for Thomas Bernard Haley, RAMC . Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron

Sorry NOT on my list for any foreign awards. Nice to see he was MM & Bar.

I have always loved RAMC groups, they go out under such horrific conditions to help the wounded, & unarmed.. That takes a special kind of courage, knowing you can not fight back when fired on.

All of the WW1 soldiers I spoke to, all said the same thing, that they could not do the job of the RAMC. They all said they would rather stay in a relatively safe trench.

Once again, if you do find he was awarded any foreign awards, please let me know.

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter

Thanks very much for checking him out. I have been researching him for many years. Although a local Leeds man, apart from a Newspaper article, with photo, stating he had been awarded the MM, he remains something of a mystery. If I do find anything further I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

• 11 months later...
Guest Henryvictor

Peter: do you have in your list Henry Victor Fincham, RFA, my father, who had a 1914-18 Croix de Guerre (French) and any details of the citation?

Stewart

Hi Stewart

I have a data base I have been working on for approx 11 years,that has over 37.000 names that are gazetted for foreign awards for the WW1 period. I do not claim that it is 100% but must be very close.

I have checked & I do not have Henry Victor Fincham listed, but do have a Charles Fincham who came from Bolton

As I tell every one, there were cases, especially with the French & Serbs, where medals were given to Commonwealth service men & women, & no permission was given by the commonwealth for them to be accepted( I have a few in my collection). These were not gazetted but are usually mentioned in unit War Diaries as awarded.

If you do get confirmtion of his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Peter