Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1888 Bayonets

shippingsteel

The throat of the scabbard with some interesting markings ... anyone seen anything marked like this before.?

I keep thinking that the state of South Australia was also known as the 4th Military District - maybe just a coincidence ...

Skennerton makes mention of the large number of P'88s that came to Australia in his "British & Commonwealth Bayonets" book.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-86639000-1332471608.jpg

Very, very nice P 88, S>S! Did it come in exactly this condition or have you done a spot of oil and elbow grease on the metal parts?

BTW - I hope that the monsson has passed you by... We've had sun and blue skies 3 days running and its already 7 degrees! :w00t: So, finally time for me to get on the balcony and get going with the oil and elbow grease on some of my finds.B)

Trajan

Did it come in exactly this condition or have you done a spot of oil and elbow grease on the metal parts?

I have given it the 'once over' but like I said it didn't need much work, thats for sure. The blade just got a rub with some oil and a good wipe down with a cloth.

The pommel and crossguard has a little fine pitting so that got some attention with some wire wool, and a couple of active rust spots got 'scraped' off with oil.

The scabbard needed a bit of work with some light surface rust on the topmount and chape, but the leather was in very fine condition and remained untouched.

The timber grips are in excellent condition as well, but they still got a wipe with some furniture polish solution which ensures the timber doesn't get too dried out.

Overall the set was in remarkable condition - not the sort of thing you regularly find at a Gun Show, where everything usually gets pawed and handled to death.

Anyway I was glad to be able to pick it up, and while its not the best that I have ever seen, its certainly going to find a good home in one of my 'keeper' drawers.!

Cheers, S>S

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of an extremely scarce 'commercial variety' of P1888 bayonet that was made by the Braendlin Armoury Co. of Birmingham.

I was very fortunate to meet the owner of this nice example just last year, when he was good enough to let me check out his seldom seen types.

These were produced alongside some versions of the Martini-Henry rifle sold on the commercial market, with many ending up in colonial hands.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-89728700-1333978059.jpgpost-52604-0-66498700-1333977788.jpg

Now that is also impressive! Don't have Skennerton to hand, is that company listed there? Would this be a Volunteer issue? Amazing, either way. Please pass on thanks to the owner for letting us see this one!

Trajan

Please pass on thanks to the owner for letting us see this one!

Well actually I came across these pictures whilst searching for more of your Peabody bayonets on Google Images.! Don't ask me how ...

Anyways I immediately recognised the bayonet, and then when I checked the source of the images, yes they were from the same chap.

He had posted them up on another forum in regard to his M-H rifle collection ... it really is starting to become a very small world indeed.!

Cheers, S>S

Just thought I'd put this one up for all to see.........a MKI,a rare bayonet...

post-88155-0-44570200-1333995831.jpg

Just thought I'd put this one up for all to see.........a MKI,a rare bayonet...

Thanks for that Dickie ... just to let you know - you already posted that pic in this thread (over the page in post #94) :blush:

Cheers, S>S

A new (to me) example:

post-14525-0-73116400-1334070501.jpg

post-14525-0-64978800-1334070508.jpg

Looks like a 97 date but possibly overstamped on top of something

post-14525-0-00244500-1334070516.jpgpost-14525-0-89877900-1334070524.jpg

interestingly it appears to be marked with a Naval stamp.

post-14525-0-05080800-1334070536.jpg

More interesting is what it came with but I haven't photographed that yet.

Chris

Thanks for that Dickie ... just to let you know - you already posted that pic in this thread (over the page in post #94) :blush:

Cheers, S>S

Cheers S>S

Trouble is, I can get a littleexcited when it comes to showing off this bayonet, or it’s just a senior momentI’m having and forgot I’d already posted it.....:blush:

A new (to me) example ... looks like a 97 date but possibly overstamped on top of something ... interestingly it appears to be marked with a Naval stamp.

Another nice find, you've been doing well. I'd agree with the '97 date, no WD with the Broad Arrow, so post 1896 manufacture at least (they changed in 1897)

Does look to have the Naval marking, stamped in exactly the same place as on my Mk.II Patt.88 but with fractionally different font. C'mon lets see the scabbard.! :D

Cheers, S>S

Real nice looking bayonet there, nice clear N stamp :thumbsup:

Wish the N on my 96 dated wilkinson/london P88 was as clear :(

What is the other piece that came with it?

What is the other piece that came with it?

post-14525-0-57494400-1334106458.jpg

Bloody hell, that looks like it could be an extremely nice MLE on the other end, when do we get more pics? :thumbsup:

How many do you have now Chris?

Bloody hell, that looks like it could be an extremely nice MLE on the other end, when do we get more pics? :thumbsup:

How many do you have now Chris?

I'll start a new thread with a couple of pics.

My standard answer (to spouse etc) is "many more than is sensible, but always one fewer than I need"

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Well done 4th G on both accounts! And I am now going to learn the Turkish for "many more than is sensible, but always one fewer than I need" - yes, OH does know English, but a reply in Turkish to this effect will surely bamboozle her!

Trajan

Chris,

will try out the "many more than is sensible, but always one fewer than I need" on the dragon when another P1888 drops through the letter box this week (along with a few others) & send post the pic of the shiner that she will probably give me :unsure:

Love that answer mate :thumbsup:

Cheers (for not giving me a headache),

Aleck

• 3 months later...

Hi

I promised I would post some pictures of my somewhat ordinary and slightly sad 1888 pattern, but coming from the armoury of Harrow School who knows who might have 'fixed' and 'un-fixed' it.

Gareth

post-890-0-82462700-1344535474_thumb.jpg

post-890-0-22942000-1344535496_thumb.jpg

post-890-0-93564900-1344535514_thumb.jpg

post-890-0-32712300-1344535702_thumb.jpg

I promised I would post some pictures of my somewhat ordinary and slightly sad 1888 pattern ...

The condition might be a little average but the history certainly is not - excellent photos and another fascinating set of markings shown there Gareth. :thumbsup:

Its quite an early one being made in 1891, showing the early pre 1897 WD Broad Arrow marking, over the Wilkinson inspection and the Bend Test X.

My attention is drawn to the wartime reissue markings which I have indicated in the colour - which show that this particular example saw service in GW.

The Red circle shows the reissue date of '15 while in the Blue we have an interesting inspection mark, which is thought to be RE - 'Repaired at Enfield'.?

It is one of those that no-one is quite sure about. It has something to do with wartime repairs, so perhaps RE for Royal Engineer repair work in the field.?

Another interesting thing is that the OTC markings are cancelled out. This is unusual as normally the Cadets are the last port of call for these old bayonets.

Which makes me think this might have been in the OTC at Harrow prior to the war, and then was 'called up' for regular service in an early war time of need.

Anyway it is another very interesting bayonet Gareth so thanks again for sharing it with us. And it's the clearest set of those reissue markings that I've seen.!

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-68971400-1344549337_thumb.j

Thanks S>S I only spotted the 1915 date myself when I sorted out the photos, and did wonder if that was a date stamp. I think it is in the history of the London Rifle Brigade, that one of the Battalions was given several hundred "Boer War" rifles from one of the Schools OTC's armouries. I will have to find my copy and see if mentions who donated the weapons, but I suspect that if there were unused rifles available they would have gone to the needy, along with their accompanying "Swords" to use Rifles terminology.

Gareth

This particular inspection mark (Crown/RE/35) is one that has been bugging me for quite some time - there is no reference for it that I can find.

It is peculiar in that it seems to be a specific wartime marking and is related to repairs and/or reissues (well it's always found with a GW reissue)

I believe it must be involved with an Enfield operation in some way, given the number 35 which seems to be very common with Enfield inspections.

The inspection mark Crown/35/E is often found on Enfield production (somewhat like a 'house' number) and I have 1915 examples with this mark.

While RSAF Enfield was always involved with the production and basic repair of all weaponry, when the war started it created a logistical nightmare.

The sheer numbers of damaged rifles and equipment that were sent back from the front in France & Flanders required a concerted effort to handle.

I understand that it was decided that Enfield should be the centralised repair and refurbishment centre, for everything other than very minor repairs.

In the case of Gareths bayonet it would make sense that any old MLE rifles and bayonets being returned from an OTC armoury would require checks.

So they would go through the "Repair House" at RSAF Enfield and be given the 'once over' (with any rectification required) then stamped and reissued.

That is my theory on how these wartime markings came about - they are fairly common but still unexplained - any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-15055600-1344640562_thumb.j