Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sutler's Store

Guest GeauxTigers

I've has dealings with them, and I wouldn't personally deal with them again.

I have to say, what I've has from them has been well made, accurate, and (whilst possibly priced a little on the high side) not too highly priced (but some of their prices are ludicrously high, such as their WW1 pattern rough-out leather boots).

But I changed last year, when I ordered a WW1 pattern mess tin. I was told they were currently out of stock, but were expecting resupplies within the next week or so. I heard nothing for ages, and when I eventually contacted them again after about four months, was told they were currently out of stock, but were expecting resupplies within the next week or so! :angry:

I cancelled the order, and got my money back, but I wont deal with them again. A few other reenactors I know have has similar experiences - apperently their service went downhill after they had more dealings with films and TV companies, and concentrated less on the reenactors who they had started their business for in the first place!

Rant over.

I've also had not too good experiences with them. A couple of years ago I bought a complete SD uniform from them. The trousers were pretty faithful repros and arrived in about 4 weeks. However, the jacket arrived seperately after about 6 months (and several phone calls) and, to be honest, when comparing it with an original, it's crap!

Dave.

As member from a living history group i should not recommend him.

Bad quality for big prices.

Check out WPG or Schipperfabrik or contact the GWS for nice repro and fair prices.

:lol:

Hi all!

I totally agree with the above - as far as i'm concerned they should stick to 'cowboy' products (if u know what i mean!)

I know of a lot of 1stww period re-enactors who have had so many problems with their kit being supplied by the Sutlers Stores, it's ridiculous! Trench caps being made that looked like S.D caps gone wrong, S.D jackets with everything out by inches (mainly pockets), and as for greatcoats, well, even though a mate of mine loaned them his original 1914 and 1915ptn infanry ones, Sutlers still managed to cock them up.

Even when errors are pointed out to them, they either ignore you, or cock it up even further! I also shall be getting my products from elsewhere, and i only use the Sutlers Stores to buy my small cap size eyelets from to make up repro chiphats. These can't be cocked up by them as they are made by someone else who supplies them to the Sutlers Stores - nuff said!

As for shipperfabrik, you are better buying off repro badges elsewhere!

tim w

(gwrco)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Conductor

Not just me then.

Placed an order twice for the same thing. Never arrived after 2 months, guess what.......................out of stock but due soon.

Emailed them to complain, never got an answer.

If you have a problem with Sutlers, or any queries if you want to buy something, PHONE them. Its the only way to pretty much guarentee a reply. Even if you use the excuse for them that they must get a lot of emails, some sort of reply (even automated) would be better than the "none at all" which they seem to do!

Guest Conductor

Phoned twice to order the said item. Phoned to enquire where it was. Answer was "Out of stock. We'll get back to you". Never got back to me so I emailed. Never got reply. Not impressed.

If they class themselves as a proffesional company should I need to chase up my order?

"BUY WITH CONFIDENCE FROM THE SUTLERS STORE" as it says on the front page of the website. Indeed.

Ordered a pair of B5 Ammo Boots in March 03. No reply. Apr 03. Rang "in the post"- Nothing. May 03. Rang again - problem with supplier should be ready soon. Jun 03 rang again "he's taken a lot of extra work on and there will be a delay". "Wrong size in stock" on email Jul 03. Rang Aug 03 "within 6 weeks". Oct 03 "dispatched" - apparently. Dec03 - rang "parcelforce have lost them" Jan 04 - rang - order cancelled - "are you sure(???) sorry refund on way". Mar 04 still nothing. Apr 04 - 12 months on, no goods, no refund, no apology. Issued email threatening legal action - finally returned phone call and cheque in the post. Arrived next day. Sutler's Store had 167 pounds of my hard earned cash for a year. After 4 emails and over a dozen phone calls I finally got a result - my money back.

Moral of this story - rearrange these words in to a well known sentence: " Touch, barge, don't, pole, with, them, a !!!!"

You have been warned! :angry: