Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharged under King's Regulations

chrislotr

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, looking at some of the posts I wondered if anyone could help me. I have been researching my Grandfather and have I have a copy of his MIC. On it states Forfeit, Discharged, Para 392 (x1) Kings Regulations.What I would like to know is what this paragraph states. I know my grandfather was a regular soldier before the war and was in the Rifle Brigade, transfered into the Machine Gun Corps late 1915. In 1919 went to Russia and Discharged in 1919. Can anyone help or know if a copy of this regulation can be obtained.

Regards Chris.

Forfeit, Discharged, Para 392 (x1) Kings Regulations.

Hi Chris

Seems like he was a naughty boy :ph34r:

Steve

Thankyou Jock, that explains alot now all I have to do is try to find out what he did. It seems strange, he enlisted in the army around 1912, went right through the war (Ypres) and was seriously wounded in the German Spring offencive at St Quentin 1918. Then to get dischaged in 1919, perhaps he got fedup, Steve. Anyway I shall try to keep you posted if I find out anymore.

Regards Chris. :)

Hi Chris

Let us have his name rank number etc and we may be able to find out more for you.

Steve

Hi Steve,

my grandfather was a member of the Machine Gun Corps, this I know because I have his Discharge certificate from Grantham 1919. Through this I found the MGC Association and Jim Parker, he has given a good few details that he has found. I used Mark Offard to get the Medal Role and MIC, if you could add anything else (even to the events) I would appreciate it as I am new to this research.

Details I know of so far:

Name, James Robert Horncastle

Enlisted as number 8602 in The Rifle Brigade.

Jim has told me that the medal documents indicate he served overseas, but not before 1916.

Early 1916 transfered into the Machine Gun Corps, number 6382.

Jim believes he was in either the 53rd, 54th or 55th MG Company from its formation in 1916, which later formed into the 18th Battalion MGC in early 1918.

He was recorded as missing in action in the Red Cross Enquiries on the 21-03-1918, spent rest of war as POW.

I believe through family he served in Russia 1919, I have also learned that he was at Epres.

Regards Chris.

Hi Chris

Where did he come from? It would be interesting to see if he is on his local Absent Voters Lists as a POW or if it gives his MGC Coy/Battalion details.

Steve.

Hi Steve, he came from Shoreditch, London. Question: where do you find the absent voters list then, as you can see I have only just started out on this quest to find my ancesters.

Regards Chris.

Hi Chris

I am not sure of the locations of the various London Absent Voters Lists but I know a man who can tell you. Ask Ian Bowbrick from this Forum, he is well informed on these lists etc.

Steve

I am not sure of the locations of the various London Absent Voters Lists

Chris, Steve

try this thread - quite a lot are listed here. I havent found the Shoreditch one yet, if it survives, but it may be in the local studies library for that area.

regards

Charles

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi Chris

I am not sure of the locations of the various London Absent Voters Lists but I know a man who can tell you. Ask Ian Bowbrick from this Forum, he is well informed on these lists etc.

Steve

OK - to be honest I have no idea where the AVL for Shoreditch is or if it survived. Perhaps the Local Studies Centre?

I have done quite a bit of reserach on the 51 - 59 Coys MGC and will track back on my notes to see if this soldier is mentioned.

Odd an ex-POW going on to serve in Russia in 1919 <_<

Most were repatriated in Dec 1918/Jan 1919 and amongst the first to be demobbed.

Ian

Hello Ian, thanks for the reply.

I have sent a e-mail to Hackney Archives to see if they know of the AVL, now all I have to do is wait to see if they reply. My father has told me that my grandfather joined the army as a professional soldier around 1912, he thought that he served in India with the Rifle Brigade before the war. I know he then went right through the war and I would have thought he would have been demobbed as you say, but if that was the case how would he be discharged for misconduct straight from POW camp. Would being a soldier before the war have anything to do with it, ie signing up for a fixed term. I read somewhere recently that quite a number of POW's where sent on the Russian campaign. I will try to find out where I read it, a lot of these things I would like to verify if possible. Some bits Jim Parker (MGC Association) has for me, he beleived he was in the either the 53rd, 54th or 55th MGC. If you have any details on where these Coys went to I would be interested as it may give an incite to where my granfather may have served.

Regards Chris.