Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS/RAF flashes

PhilB

The photo below shows both sides of a pair of flashes. These were given to me by ex-A.Mech J.Hustings, RNAS & RAF. He said they were the flashes he was issued on 1/4/18 when the RNAS became the RAF. The problem is, they look identical to those issued much later. Is there anything that would indicate that they are of 1918 vintage? Phil B

;)

Phil,

the flashes may be a variant of those for the newly formed RAF after 1918. If they are K.D thin cotton (embroidered & silk screen printed), then they are probably early 20's/30's. The silk screen printed ones were typical WW2.

However, getting back to the main point, the Army Air Corps museum has a nice setup of dummys with period uniforms on, and one shows the following photie. The photie shows the eagle, which is embroidered onto khaki cloth. I can't remember wether it was onto cotton or wool type material, but the badge itself was a 'v' shape. a friend of mine emailed me a load of photies, but when my old hard-drive went 'tits up', i lost most of the images!

You can always write to their archives department but you'll have to wait for a reply as it is done by one gentleman on a part time basis, or you can always visit them. What about the RAF museum at Hendon?

Hope this helps a bit!

tim w

(gwrco)

post-25-1086514141.jpg

Thanks, Tim. I`m no expert on screen printing or embroidery, but mine look to be just embroidered. Where does that place them? The material looks to me like khaki drill. Phil B

Phil,

the only thing i can suggest is that you put a question mark beside them!!!!

If you are going to display them on a 1902ptn S.D jacket, then u probably wouldn't be too far out, as there were lots of contractors making the new kit up for the new service, including insiginia.

A oblong patch would have been easier and quicker to produce than the 'v' shaped one, so saying it's a manufacturers variant would fit the description.

However, if it's a sand coloured (one of the many variants of Khaki) cotton 'drill' or smooth thin and plain cotton, then it's probably the K.D issue one for overseas use.

tim

GWRCo,

your photograph was taken at the Fleet Air Arm Museum - unless the Army Air Corps Museum also has a replica of Rochford's Nasval 3 camel (which they haven't).

Mike

:D

Hi guys!

just found some images from the part 2 Men at Arms book 'British Air Forces 1914 - 1918 (2) by the Cormack brothers.

It shows off the images of the RAF eagle a lot better! The eagles were also worn only by ranks below WO1.

Hope this helps a bit more, and my apologies over the confusion of the museums! It's been one of those weekends!!

tim w

post-25-1086524007.jpg

Another RAF eagle image

tim w

post-25-1086524073.jpg

Last one - i promise!!

tim w

post-25-1086524120.jpg