Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbots lane -- Fleurbaix

Keith Sloane

Can anyone point me to a trench called Abbots lane in the Fleurbaix vicinity? I've looked on McMaster but it's not obvious

or may be a less significant trench. I think Devon Ave is nearby.

It's mentioned in the NZ Artillery in the field. NZETC site.

Any clues appreciated

Keith

Keith,

From 'Rat's Alley', it's on map 36SW2 Radinghem, co-ordinates N6 a, b. (which is by La Boutillerie)

SteveJ.

Stevej, thanks for the help. However I'm not convinced that's the correct place. will go back over the NZ Artillery book and follow a

soldiers diary as well. I thought they were right in Fleurbaix. There was board inquiry into an accidental death there in Jan 1917, chap blew himself up.

Keith,

From 'Rat's Alley', it's on map 36SW2 Radinghem, co-ordinates N6 a, b. (which is by La Boutillerie)

I concur with Steve, there is a ruined Abbey to the south east of Fleurbaix, during the fighting the British had a cemetery under its ruined walls, the occupants were later transfered to Rue David Military CWGC cemetery, Fleurbaix after the war. Being a Ruined Abbey, Abbots lane trench has obviously taken its name from its earlier occupants.

The chances of there being two trenches of the same name in the Fleurbaix area is remote to say the least, I've attached a map to show the relationship to the Abbey, Abbots lane and Fleurbaix below.....Map created using the "Linesman" package, map dated Dec 1917

regards

Tom

post-5284-038404800 1281169693.jpg

Tom and Steve, how dare I argue. I'm now very convinced. I was put off by the diary notes. The diarist implied the trenches were a short distance away to where he made his daily visit,

but then a couple of klms was the nothing.

Thanks gentlemen, oh to have Lineman.

Keith

Steve, My apologies. If I had looked on the correct map I would I seen it! I've been back to McMaster to see why I missed it.

Thanks again, next time I'll read the replies more carefully. Don't give up on me.

Keith

Tom and Steve, how dare I argue. I'm now very convinced. I was put off by the diary notes. The diarist implied the trenches were a short distance away to where he made his daily visit,

but then a couple of klms was the nothing.

Thanks gentlemen, oh to have Lineman.

Keith

Ok Keith glad to be of help...

Linesman has turned out to be well worth the money, if a regular traveller to the battlefields, or one who does a lot of research using trench maps, I would now consider it a "must have"......

I have a little netbook with an sd slot in it, it also has the Linesman software installed on-board, if I need a particular map it's only a couple of minutes to download it onto the sd card and slot it into the Acer PDA I use to view the maps in the field...

regards

Tom

Tom, we're not long back to NZ from a couple of months in UK and Europe and spent 3 nights at Varlet Farm and another 3 at Butterworth Farm at Pozieres. (10 out 10 for both).

We crammed in as much as possible in those few days and were reasonanly well organised but there's always something you wish you had seen or done.

We had 20 cemeteries to visit and spent a few hours travelling the roads and tracks around Flers and High Wood, and also Passchendaele as well.

Went to Le Quesnoy as well.

I just snapped away with the camera and suprisingly have some very appropriate shots where the NZers fought.

As to Abbey Lane, we were at Y Farm I estimate only 800 metres from there. Harris the chap killed was blown up by a premature Stokes shell, he was seen briefly for about 1 second until the a pile of shells next to the Gun went off . How the witnesses survived I'm not sure. No remains found at the time, just blood and clothing, but surprisingly he has a Head Stone at Y Farm.

Always appreciate the great help I receive from your side of the planet.

Keith

Glad you enjoyed your holiday over here in Europe Keith, especially your battlefield trip.

I'm hoping to return to Bailleul (where I was staying a couple of months ago)sometime in the future. This is just up the road from Abbots lane, I'll take a few photo's and e-mail them to you if you have a need for them.

I'm in Paris in October, but time restraints won't allow me to divert from my route passing to the south of Lille, I am cutting through the Somme battlefields on my way down, and need a couple of hours there to get my 6 monthly Somme "fix"......

regards for now

Tom

Tom, thanks for that, ONLY if you're driving right past. I'l probably forget in the meantime anyway. Harris is not a relative, but I am sending a grave photo to his elderly niece whose ever so appreciative of the little bits of info I've been able to provide.

He is 1 of 50 men killed in the 1NZLTMB, who I'm trying to put together a History during the war.

The Somme, only to have week there at least!

thanks again

Keith

Steve, My apologies. If I had looked on the correct map I would I seen it! I've been back to McMaster to see why I missed it.

Thanks again, next time I'll read the replies more carefully. Don't give up on me.

Keith

No problems Keith- it's always safer to double check! I've just got back (six hours ago) froma week on the Somme, and I had a drive around the Fleurbaix/ Fromelles sector again, as my Great Grandfather fought there with the 4th Battalion, AIF.

SteveJ.