Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regulars not called to the front

manxman

Does anyone know whether there were any regular infantry battalions or cavalry regiments (not recruit finding/training units) which did not find themselves in any of the war zones at some stage during the duration of WWI. If there were any am I right to assume that troops on their strrength would not have received war medals?

As a supplementory question does anyone know of a regular who had been in this position (including those in training roles), did their subsequent career prospects suffer post war due to their lack of ribbons/war experience?

This is more idle curiosity than anything else, but any contributions would be appreciated

ta

If any troops went overseas during the War they would have received the British War Medal, irrepective of destination; but for regulars who went o/s prior to declaration and remained there I do not know.

I suppose there must have been contingents of embassy guards in the more remote areas of the World who could have remained there. I know most of the Empire's 1914 garrison found their way to the Front at some stage, but there must have been the odd company of battalion (especially Indian Army) that was just too troublesome to recall and replace.

Richard

Does anyone know whether there were any regular infantry battalions or cavalry regiments (not recruit finding/training units) which did not find themselves in any of the war zones at some stage during the duration of WWI. If there were any am I right to assume that troops on their strrength would not have received war medals?

As a supplementory question does anyone know of a regular who had been in this position (including those in training roles), did their subsequent career prospects suffer post war due to their lack of ribbons/war experience?

This is more idle curiosity than anything else, but any contributions would be appreciated

ta

A few units remained where they had been when the war started. For example 1st Royal Sussex remained in India for the whole of the war, which is not to say that the soldiers in the unit in 1918 were the same soldiers who were in it in 1914.

One cavalry regiment (21st Lancers) and eight Regular infantry battalions remained in India throughout the war. However, they provided drafts for Mesopotamia, as well as seeing service on the NW Frontier.

Charles M