Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Question re Theatres of War

Terry

We know about the various theatres of war, and the numbers employed to indicate them, but I have a minor question connected with a hypothetical case.

In mid-1915,Pte.Bloggins of the 5th Blankshires is sent with his unit from the UK to Gallipoli. His brigade first lands in Egypt for training before proceeding to the Dardanelles. Is his MIC marked 2b Balkans (the b indicating Gallipoli) or 3 Egypt?

HarryBettsMCDCM
We know about the various theatres of war, and the numbers employed to indicate them, but I have a minor question connected with a hypothetical case.

In mid-1915,Pte.Bloggins of the 5th Blankshires is sent with his unit from the UK to Gallipoli. His brigade first lands in Egypt for training before proceeding to the Dardanelles. Is his MIC marked 2b Balkans (the b indicating Gallipoli) or 3 Egypt?

<_< His first "Theatre" would have been Balkans so generally it should be {2b}but I wouldnt put Money on it!!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lets take a real example:

200395 Pte Albert Green 1/4th Bn Essex Regt

21 Jul 1915 Departed Devonport

04 Aug 1915 Arrived Alexandria and stayed for 2 days

12 Aug 1915 Arrived Dardanelles

Albert's medal index card is marked 2b Balkans with date of entry 12 Aug 1915.

Albert was killed on 27 March 1917 and is the grandfather of a friend of my wife. I am privelidged to have a copy of his diary.

Terry

Thanks, Ian. As always, you have been of great help.

Guest lidzy

Hello All!

On my great Uncle Thomas Huffer's MIC (2/3rd Battalion London Regiment), it states "Theatre of War first served in: (3) Egypt"

"Date of Entry therein : 19. 4. 15"

According to H.C. O'Neil's "The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" the 2/3rd Londons were sent from Malta to the Sudan in April 1915, obviously passing through Egypt. Was only part of Egypt a theatre of war, (for example near the Suez Canal, which Turkish forces attempted to cross in early 1915?) or did a unit have to be in a theatre of war for a certain amount of days before it counted? Apologies if I'm being thick here and missing something really obvious!!

All the best,

Tony