Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1913 color footage of Victoria Luises marriage

robert_sfl

A colorful parade assembled from the documentation "Majestät brauchen Sonne" by Peter Schamoni. The footage was produced in 1913 during the wedding of emperor Wilhelm´s daughter using an experimantal process. Are any other pre-WWI moving pictures of this sort known?

vluise.jpg

fascinating colour! The only films from the turn of the century I have previously heard of in colour are the hand coloured type before colour film became commercially viable to produce. Teams of girls would colour wash or highlite hundreds of frames of black & white film. My dad used some Agfa 35mm colour transparancy film during the 1930s but said it cost a great deal of money so only used it sparingly until the cheaper Kodak film was available in the 50's.

Yes hand coloring was very expensive and the colors did not have much graduation. According to the documentation I took the scenes from, this color material was just recently found and restored. Actually the film itself evidently was normal black-and-white material, although orthocromatic. Three synchronous recordings with color filters were used and then I assume that the three films were projected on a screen using correspondingly colored light. Is is understandable that this process did not see wider use. Quality is also bad because the early orthocromatic film material was no match to the normally used panchromatic films.

Yes i can imagine the problems for the projectionist if it required 3 projectors synchronised. If one failed or the film broke then the effect would be poor. I think I prefer the modern way of adding colour to B&W movies digitaly. (eg WW1 In Colour)but still fascinating to see the original restored version.