Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Body Density Maps

andrew pugh

Good Evening All.

Could anyone please tell me how many versions of Body Density Maps there are for map reference 57c.I.32.c.8.0.At this spot between July and October 1919, 22 bodies of British soldiers were recovered by the 182nd Labour Company after being buried by the Germans in March 1918 after they had cleared the area.Surely this grave site would have been recorded owing to the number found at this location.Your help and suggestions would be most welcome.

Best Regars Andy

Andy

For clarity the body density maps were made about March/April 1919 and noted the number of registered burial thought to be in each square. The maps do not record the number of bodies found by the Labour Companies.

There are 3 possible reasons why the burials by the Germans were not noted on the maps

1 the notification by the Germans had not reached the GRU at the time the maps were made.

2 The GRU considered the spot as a registered cemetery and the number of bodies in registered cemeteries was not included on the map

3 If the GRU were being pedantic they only listed registered burials and by their regulations a grave was not registered until it had been visited by a GRU officer or NCO and marked.

Peter

Good Evening Peter.

Third time lucky I hope, my computer is on the blink.I have a list of all 22 British soldiers found at the location mentioned,they were all reinterned in Bancourt British Cemetery most unknown.I was trying to find out if the location would have been entered on to one of these maps after the burial returns form had been completed to record where they were found and how many.Its a very intresting list and is quite possible to put names to the unknown ones through thier units at the time, and the area in which they operated, but proving it is another thing such a shame.I have just sent off a case to the C.W.G.C with strong evidence to try and prove the identity of one of them.It would be intresting to see if you came up with the same names as I have.They were all killed on the 24th March 1918.If you give me your email address ( PM ) I will send you the list. I look forward to your reply

Regards Andy.