Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who were the "3rd Ss.H."

Michael Pegum

This name appears on a Great War roll of honour in St. John's Cathedral, Sligo:

"Lyons, H. H. Lieut. 3rd Ss.H., M.C."

Lt. Lyons survived, so the CWGC list doesn't help, and I haven't been able to find the citation for his M.C.

The unit wasn't 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. Any ideas?

post-3328-075724800 1280746422.jpg

Almost certainly a Colonial unit.

My guess at the minute would be (Lord) Strathcona's Horse, but I'm not sure they carried a numbered prefix.

I'll keep looking but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was an Indian Cavalry regiment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Here is a LG entry which shows HH Lyons MC was previously an officer with Connaught Rangers, and won the MC with them. Perhaps this might make tracing the LG entry for that a little easier.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ancestry has an MIC for a Mention in Despatches.

And also for a pair, which confirms Skinner's Horse.

Don't have Ancestry?

PM me and I'll email the images to you.

Now, where's that MC notification?

;)

Cheers,

Nigel

Wow! That's impressive research!

That's all I need. When I put someone on the 'Names' database on my website (see below) I include the regiment/service. All the Indian Army units are lumped together, so I can put him down as 'Indian Army'.

Many thanks. Michael

Glad to have helped, Michael.

I'm a great admirer of your website and have been for the last few years.

Keep up the great work you do.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hello Michael and Nigel

There were two cavalry regiments in the Indian Army with the Skinner's title: 1st Skinner's Horse and 3rd Skinner's Horse. They were both founded by (John?) Skinner but were otherwise separate regiments. IIRC there was also 2nd Gardner's Horse, and these three were the senior Indian cavalry regiments.

Ron

Now, where's that MC notification?

MC was listed in the London Gazette of 14th January 1916...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29438/supplements/588.

I could be wrong but I don't believe a citation was published in the Gazette as this issue was an extension of the "New Year's Honours".

Regards

Steve

Steve

Citations for MC awards for specific acts of gallantry were often published in the ondon Gazette later than the entry making the actual award but you are right - the awards in the New Year and King's Birthday Honours, which were for generally good service over a period, rather than for specific acts, do not have detailed citations.

Ron

Ron

Thanks for the clarification. Although I knew what I meant, in hindsight, my post wasn't particularly clear.

Regards

Steve

Hi,

Some references to H H Lyons in the Connaught Rangers

Cooke Richard Fitzgerald Lloyd, Henry Harvey Lyons, Frank Harry Bethell, and Eric Basil Francis Faithfull Cadets from OTC to be 2nd Lieutenants on probation with 3rd Special Reserve Battalion The Connaught Rangers 15 August 1914

2nd Lieutenant H H Lyons arrived at the 3rd Battalion The Connaught Rangers 25 Sept 1914

2nd Lieutenants Greeves, Bethell and H H Lyons attended an Officers Course of Instruction at Cork 1 Jan 1915

2nd Lieutenant H H Lyons, 2825 Sergeant John Grannell and Sergeant Little proceeded to Waterville to relieve 2nd Lieutenant Latham, 3008 Sergeant Patrick McDermott and 4037 Sergeant Francis Silke 1 Feb 1915

Notified in Fortress Orders that 2nd Lieutenant H H Lyons qualified at a Course of Instruction at Cork 6 Feb 1915

Lieutenant P Lambert proceeded to Waterville to take over command of the Detachment vice 2nd Lieutenant H H Lyons 17 March 1915

Lieutenant L N Aveling, 2nd Lieutenants W A Buchanan, J D’Arcy, E Faithfull, H H Lyons and F H Bethell left the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion Connaught Rangers and proceeded to join the Expeditionary Force 17 March 1915

Lieutenant H H Lyons was attached to the Royal Irish Regiment

2nd Lieutenants E D Greeves, H H Lyons, and Francis Robert S De La Cour to be Lieutenants 6 April 1915

Lieutenant H H Lyons attached Royal Irish Regiment. Awarded Military Cross

2nd Lieutenants Henry Harvey Lyons, Frank Harry Bethell and E B F Fathfull confirmed in their rank 30 May 1915

Lieutenant H H Lyons Awarded Regular commission as Lieutenant 17 March 1916

Lieutenant H H Lyons seconded for service with Indian Army 1 Jan 1918

These pictures are from 'The Connaught Rangers' by Jourdain & Fraser, I am not sure if they are the same man.

The first is for Regular Battalions and the second for Reserve Battalions

Regards Mark

post-14045-063543400 1280883860.jpg

post-14045-045305300 1280942963.jpg

Henry Harvey Lyons

Born 17th December 1883

Educated at Radley College

From OTC to be 2nd Lieutenants on probation with 3rd Special Reserve Battalion The Connaught Rangers 15 August 1914

2nd Lieutenant H H Lyons left the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion Connaught Rangers and proceeded to join the Expeditionary Force 17 March 1915.

Lieutenant H H Lyons was attached to the Royal Irish Regiment.

Promoted Lieutenant 6 April 1915

2nd Lieutenants confirmed in their rank 30 May 1915

Lieutenant H H Lyons attached Royal Irish Regiment.

Awarded Military Cross LG 14th January 1916

Lieutenant H H Lyons Awarded Regular commission as Lieutenant 17 March 1916

Lieutenant H H Lyons seconded for service with Indian Army (on probation) 17th Jan 1918

Attached to 3rd Skinners Horse 27th January 1918

A/Captain 16th April 1918 (whilst commanding a squardon) attached to 3rd Skinners Horse

Confirmed Indian Army 5th November 1918 as a Lieutenant with senority from 1st September 1915

T/Captain 8th March 1919

Captain 15th May 1919

Mentioned in Despatches for 3rd Afghan war – LG 3rd October 1920.

(The Skinners Horse history confuses this MID as a bar to his MC)

In the January & April 1922 Indian Army Lists he was attached to the Cavalry School at Saugor but had returned to the regiment by the July 1922 IAL.

Retired 10th October 1922

He has no surviving Officers Record of Service in the India Office files at the British Library.

A lot of officers left the Indian Army with the 1922 reforms which roughly halfed the number of Indian cavalry regiments.

I don’t know what happened after that, however in my April 1947 Army List, under General List – Regular Army Emergency Comissions – African Colonial Forces section we have an entry for a H. H. Lyons, M.C., comissioned 2/Lt 15th May 1940, appointed War Substantive Captain 1st February 1942.