Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.P.O.R.N

Dave_59

Stoker Petty Officer Royal Navy is it on a medal?

David.

Dave

SPO RN = Stoker Petty Officer, Royal Navy.

WO I & II = Warrant Officer 1st and 2nd class

ERA = Engine Room Artificer (Classes 1-5)

CPO = Chief Petty Officer

PO = Petty Officer

LS = Leading Seaman (killick)

AB = Able Seaman

STO 1 & 2 = Stoker 1st and 2nd class

OS = Ordinary Seaman

Boy 1 and Boy 2 = Boy Sailor (under 18) 1st and 2nd Class

For those enlisted after 1907:

Seaman branches have J prefix to serial numbers; Stokers K; M for artificers; O for stewards; L(?) for writers; SS for Short Service (signed on for <12(?) years' service.) Prior to this just a numerical serial number.

e.g. J.1000. T. Smith. A.B. R.N. would be Able Seaman T Smith, Royal Navy.

Richard

Dave

Re above: you could find out that he was in an 'exciting' branch of the Navy like a major battle (Jutland); been in the Royal Naval Division (sailors fighting as Infantrymen) or, my own favourite, been a submariner.

Whilst a large Army service papers were destroyed or disfigured in WW2, the Royal Naval records exist untouched; you can virtually guarantee being able to research him from these. (The Brigade of Guards' service papers are also nearly always available since copies were and are held by their adjutants.)

Richard

well i suppose thats tru. My interest is in the Guards division (as my gt gt uncle was a grenadier). I am interested in this medal to start a collection because he shares the same surname (wood). I will look into it a little more.

thanks for your suggestion

dave

If their records aren't at the PRO/NA, you can always write to the Guards' Museum for a copy of their papers. The address can be found on-line and it is possible to email the relevant adjutant, but I don't know what they will charge for this service.

Generally, medals to a guardsman will be a few quid more than those of any other commonplace county infantry regiment, but are not hideously expensive given that they only had about five battalions a piece (whereas the Hampshires and West Riding Regiment had about 22).

Richard

Dave.

At that price buy them, and they will be going to a good home, perhaps if you do not really want them you could swap them at some point in the future, and both enthusiasts would benifit.

David.