Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

54th (East Anglian) Divisional Artillery

jim_davies

Wondered if anyone knows of the embarkation dates for the different brigades of the above Division.

I know that it was sometime in Nov 1915, but hoped someone might know the exact dates especially for the 273rd (4th East Anglian Brigade).

Thanks,

Jim

Wondered if anyone knows of the embarkation dates for the different brigades of the above Division.

I know that it was sometime in Nov 1915, but hoped someone might know the exact dates especially for the 273rd (4th East Anglian Brigade).

In 1915 when the 54th Division went to Gallipoli the Divisional Artillery, which consisted of the I, II, III, and IV East Anglican Brigades, RFA, and the 54th (E. Anglican) Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA, remained behind at Brandon and Thetford.

After the division left, the 54th Divisional Artillery on 12 November 1915 began to move to France. It embarked at Southampton on 17 Nov 15 for Havre and on 21 Nov 15 it was attached to the 33rd Division and concentrated around Blaringhem. Officers and men of the DA were attached to the 2nd, 7th, and 12th DAs on the front line.

On 30 Nov 1915 the 54th DA was warned for movement to Egypt and on 11 Jan 16 it began to move towards Marseille. It embarked there on 30 Jan 16 and disembarked at Alexandria between 11 and 15 Feb 16. By 15 Feb 16 all of the DA ad rejoined the 54th Division at Mena Camp in Cairo. On 2 May 16, the 1st and 2nd Brigades were redesignated as the CCLXX, and CCLXXI Brigades, RFA, on 28 May 16 the 3rd Brigade was redesignated as the CClXXII (H.) Brigade, RFA and the 4th Brigade was redesignated as the CCLXXIII Brigade, RFA on 29 May 15.

Source: Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2A.

Regards. Dick Flory

Feel free to ask at any time. Dick

Thanks Dick,

Mainly interested in the Northants Battery of the above mentioned brigade. Trying to a little background research myself (not getting too far!) before hitting you up for additional info.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Dick,

Have a couple of quick questions concerning the dispersal of the officers and men of the 54th Division in France before they went to Egypt.

Would the attachment to the 2nd, 7th & 12th Divisions been for frontline acclimatization purposes?

And would have the brigades and batteries remained intact as separate formations?

I think the answer to the second is "yes" but not sure.

Thanks.

Jim