Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles

Guest diane kendall

Guest diane kendall

Hello All

I am new to this site so - hope I get this right!!

I have managed to get all the details from the CWGC on a great uncle who was killed in 1915, however his brother was also killed during the war and yet I can find no information about him at all. Is this unusual?

Unfortunately I do not know who he was serving with and wonder can anyone offer any suggestions please? I have sent an e-mail to City Hall to see if they can help but they require details that I do not have at present.

Regards

Di

Hello Diane, welcome to the forum, and good luck.

I'm sure we can help. Can you tell us his name, and where he came from?

Hello Diane and welcome to the Forum,

As you may have seen from other posts, there are some of us who "follow" the RIRifs. Do you know your man's battalion? Any snippet of information would help.

Good luck with the search.

Regards,

Liam.

Guest diane kendall

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry to say I couldn't find my way back to this site!!!!

At last, success.

The only info I have (not sure how reliable it is) is that his name was Albert Hunter Morgan (brother to George Morgan, RIR 2nd Bn. died in 1915) parents were Albert and Elizabeth Morgan of Belfast. I know about George from the CWGC and about the memorial site - Menin Gate - but they could find nothing on Albert. Sorry but I haven't any other info at present.

Hope you can advise

regards

Di

There were 3 Morgans who were living in or resided in belafst but none of the was an Albert

Hi Diane,

Welcome back!

Your man may not be necessarily be a Royal Irish Rifles soldier. Although his brother was, it doesn't follow that they would have signed up for the same regiment. Even if he did, he may well have been transferred to a different regiment at some point.

I'm no expert on the CWGC, but he may be there as A. Morgan. Are you sure he was killed in action?

There was a J. Morgan (1st RIRifs) who recieved a D.C.M. in 11/3/1919.

Perhaps your best bet is the MIC. There are details of how to search on the site.

Any extra information would help.

Regards,

Liam.

Di,

I have fornd George as being born Shankhill, Co Antrim. Son of the late Albert and Elizabeth Morgan; husband of Jane Morgan, of 13, Chamberlain St., Belfast.

The other Morgan from Shankhill is Private Malachy Morgan 13746 7th Bn. Royal Inniskillin Fusiliers. Died 10/03/16. PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE I. B. 11. No other details I'm afraid.

Hope it's of use.

Mandy

Guest Desmond6

Dianne - You could try a 'browse' for the Somme Heritage Centre in Northern Ireland. They hold a large number of records of soldiers from here who served in WW1. I believe they have a search facility but you may have to pay. :(

I, too have tried a variety of combinations of the name on CWGC with no matches so far.

George Morgan would have been either a regular soldier or a reservist serving with the 2nd Btn.

If Albert was a wartime volunteer he would have most likely have joined a 'service' battalion.

But I agree with Liam that there is no guarantee that he joined the RIR.

Des

Guest diane kendall

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies. I shall try and search the sites and places mentioned. I realise that Albert may not have been RIR and indeed I may not even have the correct christian name, I'm hoping to link up a 'Morgan' with the same parents and location and hopefully match that way. I have been in the Somme Centre but not to look at records.

Mandy, how did you find the info - it's the first time that area (Shankhill) has been mentioned to me in connection with the Morgans?

I do not know for sure but have been told that - 2 great uncles were killed during the war, George and another but maybe Albert is the wrong name. My grandad named 2 of his sons after his brothers and there were 7 sons. So there are plenty of other names to look for if Albert is wrong. Hope that makes sense! Many thanks to all once again.

Di

ALBERT

HERBERT STANLEY

VICTOR HAROLD

WILLIAM

EVELYN

MINNIE

were all Morgans that lived in 32 Lothair Avenue in the Antrim Road area in 1912, a mile from the Shankill area....any of these names seem familiar?

They would all be Protestants if this helps.