Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff Nurse Caroline Amelia Robinette RRC

johnny_doyle

came across Staff Nurse Caroline Robinette whilst researching a Dublin Robinette who served with the Royal Irish Regt and would like to find out some more info about her service if at all possible.

She was award the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) in July 1916 at Buckingham Palace with 2 other nurses Miss Florence Price and Miss Jessie Burns.

Died 1917 and buried in Herne Bay Cemetery in Kent.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3056320

Ancestry has a death record which states age 41.

The 1901 Irish census has her in Dublin as a 23year old nurse but says Co Kilkenny as birth county

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Upper_Baggot_Street/1287012/

Can't find her in the 1911 census for Ireland.

LDS has a birth record which potentially ties in with the age 41 :

Name: Caroline Robinette

Registration District: Carrick-On-Suir

Event Type: BIRTHS

Registration Quarter and Year: 1876

I believe that she may have been awarded the RRC as a result of looking after patients in the water after the ship she was in was sunk (but the dates don't match up). Believe this may have been HMHS Britannic based on this entry :

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME058-1917/INDEX.pdf

Would like to find out more if anyone has any information.

She has a service file at The National Archives (ref: WO399/7120)which should shed light on her family ties, and I suspect that as she died during the Great War others here may also have more information on her. Her ARRC was in the London Gazette dated 3rd June 1916, so nothing at all to do with the Britannic. Most RRC/ARRC awards were not for single incidents, but a cumulative honour for good work/devotion to duty/loyalty/competence over a prolonged period of time. June 1916 was soon after the 2nd Class award was introduced, and there were quite a few of them around that time.

Sue

I have her as having been born in Kilmainham, Dublin and aged 35 at her death - probably a mistake on my part. You are correct in stating that she had been aboard the HS Britannic. She died from influenza complicated by pleurisy in Kent. I haven't looked but she was probably in the UK at the time of the 1911 Irish census although I haven't looked for her yet. She had a brother living in Oxford.

I have her as having been born in Kilmainham, Dublin and aged 35 at her death. You are correct in stating that she had been aboard the HS Britannic. She died from influenza complicated by pleurisy in Kent. I haven't looked but she was probably in the UK at the time of the 1911 Irish census although I haven't looked for her yet. She had a brother living in Oxford.

She has a service file at The National Archives (ref: WO399/7120)which should shed light on her family ties, and I suspect that as she died during the Great War others here may also have more information on her. Her ARRC was in the London Gazette dated 3rd June 1916, so nothing at all to do with the Britannic. Most RRC/ARRC awards were not for single incidents, but a cumulative honour for good work/devotion to duty/loyalty/competence over a prolonged period of time. June 1916 was soon after the 2nd Class award was introduced, and there were quite a few of them around that time.

Sue

thanks for the info re the award. It's not one I'm familiar with.

I realised after posting that it couldn't have been related to Britannic as this went down in Nov 1916 rather than 1915 which is the date I had in mind.

I have her as having been born in Kilmainham, Dublin and aged 35 at her death - probably a mistake on my part. You are correct in stating that she had been aboard the HS Britannic. She died from influenza complicated by pleurisy in Kent. I haven't looked but she was probably in the UK at the time of the 1911 Irish census although I haven't looked for her yet. She had a brother living in Oxford.

I have her as having been born in Kilmainham, Dublin and aged 35 at her death. You are correct in stating that she had been aboard the HS Britannic. She died from influenza complicated by pleurisy in Kent. I haven't looked but she was probably in the UK at the time of the 1911 Irish census although I haven't looked for her yet. She had a brother living in Oxford.

thanks for the info Jim.

I don't have access to the UK 1911 census so haven't been able to check if she was in the UK at the time. The Irish 1911 census had quite a few errors and it's still possible she is there somewhere.

Would you know the name of the brother?

Hi

Use this link & put Robinette ih the search you get 3 or 4 hits for her plus a photo

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

Peter

had a go with the link Peter but didn't get any matches.

I've just had a check of the 1911 Census and she's at 161 Lauderdale Mansions, Paddington, London. It's really badly written, but she seems to be working as a trained nurse in a private household, caring for one young-ish woman. She's given as born 1882, aged 29 years, and born in Piltdown, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland.

Sue

thanks for the extra info. Much appreciated.

Found the brother in the 1901 census in Oxford and he his puts place of birth as Piltown, Ireland. Piltown is in Co Kilkenny, which is in the registration district Carrick-on-Suir.

thanks for the info Jim.

I don't have access to the UK 1911 census so haven't been able to check if she was in the UK at the time. The Irish 1911 census had quite a few errors and it's still possible she is there somewhere.

Would you know the name of the brother?

had a go with the link Peter but didn't get any matches.

You click on the Keyword search then type in surname I got 3 or 4 hits

Peter

You click on the Keyword search then type in surname I got 3 or 4 hits

Peter

thanks for that Peter. Have now downloaded the articles.

Archived