Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Yorkshire Regiment

SteveE

Having forgotten to look at the battalion war diary last time I was at the NA, please can anybody tell me the whereabouts of the 8th Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) during this time period.

I know from the mother site that they were part of the 69th Infantry Brigade 23rd Division and were present at the Battle of Menin Road at the end of September and was wondering if this was where my GGUncle received his wound.

As always any and all help gratefully received.

Steve

Many thanks Bob, I look forward to your findings.

Steve

Steve,

After the June Battle of Messines the 8th bn moved in early July to Steenvoorde.

July 26th entrained for St Omer and had billets in Acquin where they spent a month in training in "pleasant weather".

August 24th entrained for Abeele and preparing for an attack planned for Sept 20th.

September 19th, evening of the attack the bn were at Dickesbusche and left camp in "heavy rain".

September 20th platoons were split up and some attached to other units.

Attack went in at 5-45am with part of the bn attacking towards Invernes Copse and others attached to the West Rdg Regt attacking Clapham Junction and Stirling Castle. That evening they consolidated and dug in.

September 21st 07-00am heavy German bombardment and large infantry counter attack launched, this was repelled by artillery and Lewis Gun fire. Fighting throughout that day and digging in and consolidating the line again at night.

September 22nd the bn were relieved and went to Sanctuary Wood Craters and on the morning of September 24th to Alberta Camp near Reninghelst.

Hope this info is of some use to you, let me know if you need anything else.

Who was your relative by the way?

Bob.

Bob

Excellent, thanks very much for the information, it all helps to pad out my GGUncle's service history.

July 26th entrained for St Omer and had billets in Acquin where they spent a month in training in "pleasant weather".

Do you happen to know if they received a draft of recruits on 30th July?

Who was your relative by the way?

GGUncle, 42319 Pte. Robert Eeles. According to medal rolls he served with 2nd Bn. Yorkshire Regt. 10.1.17 to 11.2.17 and 8th Bn. Yorkshire Regt. 30.7.17 to 23.9.17 before transfer to Royal Defence Corps. I know he was wounded and was trying to ascertain when this was, 11.2.17 looked like the prime suspect with the five month period between attachments but 2nd Bn. diary for that time says 'nothing to report' hence the reason for this request. 23.9.17 has interesting potential in as much as the battalion was in action immediately prior to this date.

Thanks again.

Steve

Bob

Thanks very much for taking the time to look, I guess the next thing to do is to trawl through the 'local' papers to see if there's anything about him, his service and his wounding.

Steve