Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps Bullion Badges

Guest COrnwall

Guest COrnwall

Hello,

I am curious to know whether an RFC (not RAF) bullion badge was ever actually an official item and if so, could it have been worn on a cape as I don't remember blazers being part of a gentleman's outfit unitl the 1920's - civvy or otherwise....

Many thanks,

Jan Coles :unsure:

:D

Hi Jan!

yes - a bullion capbadge was issued and used, but you rarely see it in photographs!

The bullion capbadge is virtually identical to the modern issue 'bullion' raf capbadge that is currently worn on the No:1 dress cap. This badge replaced the earlier issue anodised ones - we hated the new issue bullion one, as it looks so c**p!

The only real difference between the modern bullion capbadge and the old RFC one is the initials themselves, as well as the crown! The badge was worn on the RFC busby cap. You do occasionally see them up for sale on the likes of ebay.

Generally, the only time this badge was seen was on state occasions, funerals, royal visits, and of course at officers weddings!

On the outbreak of war, ceremonial kit normally got packed away somewhere safe n sound, so it is unlikely that it would have gone 'overseas'.

Hope this helps a bit.

tim w

I agree with the sentiment about the new bullion badges-not nice look really cheap