Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Units of Austro-Hungary

Landsturm

Best I can offer is from With The German Guns by Herbert Sulzbach...

..."14 Sept 1918...for the first time in the German military communique, Austro-Hungarian troops have been named as being present on the Western Front."

The Austro-Hungarian 1st and 35th Infantry Divisions served on the Western Front from July 1918. The 37th (Honved) and 106th (Landsturm) Infantry Divisions were there from September 1918.

In October 1918 the 1st A-H Division, and parts of the 106th, were in the German V Reserve Corps, and the 37th Division, plus the remainder of the 106th, was in the XVIII (A-H) Corps; both Corps were in the German 5th Army. The 35th Infantry Division was part of V Corps in German Army Detachment C.

I hope this helps.

The 1st Austro-Hungarian Division fought against the US 29th Division during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. If you need details I will check the 29th's History for you, just ask.

Take care,

Neil

Very good Neil, Paul Braim mentions there were AH troops there in his fine book on the battle The Test of Battle. 4th rate division I think.

Not an answer but another question:

Were the Austrian 305mm howitzers at Liege crewed by AH personnel, or had they been used to equip German units?

Not an answer but another question:

Were the Austrian 305mm howitzers at Liege crewed by AH personnel, or had they been used to equip German units?

In accounts I have read no AH men are mentioned so must be German.

• 3 weeks later...

The Austrian siege mortars that were employed on the Western Front in 1914 had been sent there as part of complete units.