Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The History Of The Great European war

Guest mavesyn

Guest mavesyn

I inherited all ten volumes of the above book many years ago, from my grandad.

I have only recently become interested in the Great War, through doing family research, and was wondering wether to read it. Or should i stick to something a bit more modern by the like's of Lyn Macdonald or Richard Holmes.

Any advice?.

Thanks

Mike..

Mike, I this book is well worth reading, for two reasons, at least.

1/ It is untainted by modern ( politically correct ?) versions of the sequence of events.

2/ The book contains very many quotations from documents which are long lost or have been ignored by some modern historians.

The book also gives a good insight into the attitude and language used (in England)at the time of the commencement of hostilities.

I have found it useful to reread chapters, to remind myself how the events were seen at that time. It does help to understand why governments acted as they did.

Enjoy your reading,

johng

Guest mavesyn

johng

Thank's for the reply. I'll give it a go, like you say it may be useful in comparing thought's on the war from different era's. I'm currently reading Henry Williamson's, The Patriots Progress. Not strictly a history book, but a very good read about, the life of a ordinary Tommie. Which was first published in 1930.

Cheers

Mike