Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking the Somme

phil cowling

Walking the Somme tour,went for the first time last May could not resist going again.

Phil

Sorry to ask the question, but how much walking do you actually do?

I have a reason for asking; some time ago I went on a battlefield 'walk' with a reputable company, and frankly the use of the term 'walking' was very misleading.

Now, I ignore these people and do-it-myself. There are many books you could use, including Paul Reed's, but this is essentially a solitary or semi-solitary activity and not everyone's cup of tea.

Anyway, enjoy!

Martin

...to add to my previous posting.

I am learning so much more by a DIY approach. Indeed last month I was on the Somme using the IGN 1:25,000 series maps to give me a better topographical 'feel'. I now understand and appreciate so much more. I am no way an expert nor will ever be, BUT I am learning more by having to find out by myself than I probably ever would by being carted around the area with a guide.

Still, enjoy!

Regards

Martin

Normally I wouldn't comment on what is a very negative view of battlefield tours and battlefield guiding that certainly comes across strongly in all your postings on this subject. You are entitled to your views, no doubt gained by experience, but please do not tar all companies with the same brush.

The Walking The Somme tour is my own tour, drawn up by me in my role as Senior Battlefield Guide and based on aspects of my book. Over the course of the walking days, five walks, you walk about 20 miles total. The point of it isn't just the walking, but to see the battlefields in greater depth.

That you are happily doing this yourself, and under your own steam is pleasing to read, and indeed in the eight years I've organised tours, we have seen many, many people come with us who are now regular battlefield visitors on their own. We very much encourage this, to be honest. Indeed, some are even members of this forum.

For many people, however, time and energy do not allow them to prepare in the way you and others do; they therefore look to having a guided visit, with hopefully people who know what they are talking about.

Battlefield tours are not for everyone, and there are companies that are better than others, as with any market place, but for many people they are the starting place that leads them onto other journies of discovery along the Old Front Line, whether alone or with another group...

I can only say from my previous experience with this company that they do excellent tours to the battlefields,On my last trip there was plenty of time and information given in all the areas visited and the guide who was very knowledgeable on the subject was only two willing to go out of his way to help people with personal enquieries, even to the extent of making slight deviations to the itinery which made it a very interesting Tour.It was certainly worth while for anyone making a first trip with little expertise on the subject and as a place to start.

Phil

Organising your own tour is great if you know what you are doing and are reasonably well read on the subject. Obviously then you can tailor the walk to your own areas of interest and can do as much or as little walking as you want. If you don't know what you are looking at I think that all you see are a few lumpy fields which don't really mean anything.

With the organised tours the quality of the holiday is directly in relation to the quality of the guide/s taking you round, the descriptions they can give of particular actions and the personal stories they can add in. Of necessity these will be more limited in scope and will concentrate on the main battle areas - they have to be commercial after all.

I personally think that Leger do very good value holidays of this type with good guides and always a friendly crowd of people.

Neil

Paul

I did not mean to offend and it was interesting to read what you said. I do agree that not everyone has the time etc and inclination to organise their own visit.

Perhaps the problem for me is that I felt very let down after an Ieper trip and as an 'independent traveller' when I go on holiday, I have translated this to my WW1 trips.

Martin

The Walking The Somme tour is my own tour, drawn up by me in my role as Senior Battlefield Guide and based on aspects of my book. Over the course of the walking days, five walks, you walk about 20 miles total. The point of it isn't just the walking, but to see the battlefields in greater depth.

Martin

With regard to Paul's quote above, I can safely say that after "Walking the Somme" last year I lost at least 6 inches in height :lol:

Seriously, I think it is an excellent walk and I would like to go back and do the Ypres Salient one, but I think I will wait until I am a little fitter ;)

I have walked with Paul Reed on 3 days and Tony Noyes , Flanders TOurs many times. Few if any will match their knowledge in a lifetime + one meets so many fine folks this way. Yes I do it on my own but walking the battlefields with experts is great.

• 1 month later...

As a guide, I take several coach tours a year - always military units. Without doubt, walking the ground is far superior to simply moving from location to location by bus; the walk focuses the mind on specifics, brings 'ground' to life and helps the walker to have a better appreciation of the events being highlighted. Moving round by coach on a pre-arranged itinerary tends to follow the 'celebrity' route of events and people.

Nevertheless, this latter is often a good way to orientate onself to the battlefield in space and time and to lay down markers for future visits. Personally, I'd advise use of the Holts books and maps for early, independent car trips, as 'get you in' guides, followed by the relevent Battleground Europe Books on subsequent visits (Paul Reed's Walking the Somme and Walking the Salient are particularly good) for vivid detail on the ground. Specific areas of interest are then followed up through formation and regimental histories, trench maps and visits to Regimental Museums and the National Archive. Now you're into serious money; but, slowly, the TNA's bringing war diaries on line and Naval & Military Press offer outstanding facsimiles at reasonable prices (and remarkable terms (interest free purchase options, single postage charge on an order regardless of its size, and an excellent catalogue and review by Colonel Terry Cave)).

I have to confess, it's the recces I most enjoy, but these generall tend to be undertaken in own time and at own expense. Perhaps, one day, I'll have to write a book to help defray costs. Any advice, Paul Reed?

I back up what Paul G says: I went in 2002 with Tony and Teddy Noyes (Flanders Tours) and, boy, do you walk! It was first class and I cannot believe that I would have seen a tenth of what I did without the expert guidance. They may not be the cheapest but they must be among the best. Once budget permits it'll be the Ypres salient - my hopes for this year cruelly dashed by a troublesome (and costly) central heating system problem at home!

Bernard

I have to confess, it's the recces I most enjoy, but these generall tend to be undertaken in own time and at own expense. Perhaps, one day, I'll have to write a book to help defray costs. Any advice, Paul Reed?

Despite what I am sure many members of this forum believe, there is no money in writing Battleground Europe books, nor do your royalties ever cover the costs involved in researching them.

They are, I hope, written for other reasons.

I hope you follow and produce something yourself one day, for these very same reasons.