Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pocket New Testaments

Jim Gordon

Aggie Weston's was founded by Agnes Weston! who set up hostles in all the main dockyard towns.

The problem was that when men were paid off from one ship or were on long leave they often had nowhere to go; they could be orphans, have no remaining family, etc. No package holidays in the 19th century. The only places were rip off joints, brothels and smelly hotels.

She set up these hostels that were reasonable priced, clean and had decent facilities for eating, for sleeping, quiet rooms, etc.

They were enormously popular. Today, the charity and the hostels still exist, albeit on a much reduced scale.

I have a book on the Royal Navy of 1937, which includes a "sailors slang" chapter. Weston-super-Mare was known as "Aggie on 'orseback", although the compiler suspects "wardroom humour" for the origin.

Another memorable one was HMS Vengeance which was nicknamed "The Lord's Own" - "Vengeance is mine said the Lord"

• 14 years later...

I have been shown a small (3cms x 2.5cms) metal case as shown in the photo containing a miniature New Testament.

The inscription surrounding the glass centre says: 'Midget Book with Magnifying Glass'.

The New Testament book really is midget sized but amazingly the glass magnifier works quite well!

I was told that this was supplied to WW1 soldiers and was meant to be pinned inside the tunic 'in order to stop a bullet'!

Comments anyone?  

bible.jpg

They'd have to be extremely sure of where the bullet was going to hit them!! 

That said, I can see that it might be sold to the superstitious or extra-faithful as a protection against death by gunshot generally. I have come across some miniature Korans as well.

Edited by seaJane

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2004 at 22:08, Will O'Brien said:

Can't confirm whether there was a similar practice for distribution amongst English troops, but the National Bible Society of Scotland New Testament given to my Great Uncle who served with the Royal Scots Fusiliers (although he was born & bred in Leicester) is still in my family’s possession.

Good Afternoon all,

I also possess a New Testament which I believe was one of those issued by the NBSoS which belonged to my Great Grandad, and although not Scottish, ended up serving with the 16th Royal Scots and was wounded in the spring of 1918. (thanks to J Alexander for that info). My late Grandad told me he thought his Dad was in a hospital in Dundee during his recovery and so I assume he picked this bible up then.

The front page/insert is missing, but he has his name and Royal Scots written in pencil. The only other marks are several passages marked in "The Gospel according to St. Luke."

DSC_0267.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG