Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Ties-who can wear them?

Mr Sifter

Taking that to the nth conclusion would mean one standard tie for everybody regardless of which organisation, club, school, university they belonged to or went to.................certainly would save making a choice when buying a tie tough.

Well, I wonder how many people wearing "Los Angeles University" T shirts have actually been to the university. In the days of my youth girls used to wear T shirts marked St Tropez. I never knew whether they had been there. What's the difference?

I can imagine some genius dreaming up licensing ties and T shirts and you will have to produce a permit to buy one. It will, of course, be to protect us from frauds, terrorists (does Al Qaeda have a club tie?)and anything else à la mode at the time.

My father in law gave me a present of a Black Watch tie which was his WW2 regiment. I wore it on certain occassions until it got the inevitable food stains on it! I would always tell an inquirer why I was wearing it and about him. A good topic of conversation and kept his memory alive.

Beware the American tie company cited above. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin with the tale od the £100 tie. When I joined B (Staffordshire Yeomanry) Sqn, The Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry, I was prevailed upon to buy a Sqn tie from the PRI (a cardboard box behind the Troop Bar in the drill hall). So I did. Many baby polyesters died to make that tie, and its width can only have been described as 'kipper'. My Dad, bless him, whenever he went out on trips to market towns around the Midlands would pop into the old fashioned gents' outfitters who usually said 'we can get any regimental tie'. "Staffordshire Yeomanry?" Certainly sir! Oh... it's not in production... (and some of these shops in STAFFORDSHIRE...) He noted that you could still buy Royal Flying Corps ties, both North and South Staffordshire Regiments (20-odd years defunct by this stage) and so on. Yet the Staffordshire Yeomanry, defunct as an entire unit for lessfor less than a decade then.. no.

I seek high and low for a Staffs Yeo tie - and huurah, there it is. Oooch. Not cheap. So the better half says 'I'll buy you one as part of your Christmas present". And that's where it started. It wasn't a cheap tie to start with, over £30 when the dollar was weaker than it is now. They utterly insisted in sending it the most expensive from of FedEx they could. Then it was impounded and she had to pay import duty and VAT.

The irony? Did they tell her they had a London shop, and offer to send it there at minimal, or their expoense? No. Never again.

Perhaps Dave Heal could use his contacts in the European Union to promote the idea of forming an Old Boys Tie Police that would have international jurisdiction. According to the Daily Telegraph, some years ago the Swiss and Italians got into a dispute about what size the standard EU condom should be (the Swiss said the size favored by the Italians was too small), so a tie police would be just the sort of project the EU would excel at. :hypocrite:

Perhaps Dave Heal could use his contacts in the European Union to promote the idea of forming an Old Boys Tie Police that would have international jurisdiction.

Obvioulsy they will need their own Tie !!!!

A gentleman would never wear polyester.

One of the well known London tailors has a cunning marketing ploy. They recommend the silk for formal occasions and polyester for curry night in the mess!

Genius,

Nigel

The search icon is in the middle at the bottom, no London Scottish tie though.

There's a blessing. At least Pete isn't going to turn up one night claiming to be one of 'Ours'.

Anyway, as any fule kno, Yanks always put the stripes on ties the wrong way.

I believe the Old Comrades Association for the MGC do a very nice tie.......

Would it be 'acceptable' to wear this 'out in public' do we think?

I think I would probably be 'eligible' .........if that's the correct word

Regards,

Ronnyson

Broomers, if I recall correctly the website of the London Scottish offers its ties for sale, and they don't even check a person's bona fides when they are ordered!

Edit: I did recall correctly--click here to see how the regimental association sells London Scottish ties to anyone who wants one, even those who never served in it.

Perhaps Dave Heal could use his contacts in the European Union to promote the idea of forming an Old Boys Tie Police that would have international jurisdiction. According to the Daily Telegraph, some years ago the Swiss and Italians got into a dispute about what size the standard EU condom should be (the Swiss said the size favored by the Italians was too small), so a tie police would be just the sort of project the EU would excel at. :hypocrite:

If the condom story was actually true, then there might be some point.

As Switzerland isn't in the EU, it was and is a bit difficult to believe. In fact, if I remember rightly this was a discussion between condom manufacturers that Britain decided was the daft EU (remember the Christmas tree standard? That was in fact, a code of conduct produced by the Christmas Tree Growers Association, and nothing to do with the EU). As only Britain gets worked up about wearing ties to demonstrate the wearers superiority to other beings, the EU is likely to burst out laughing.

No, if you want a tie police, contact David Cameron (who will no doubt want a licence for an Old Etonian tie).

>><<

No, if you want a tie police, contact David Cameron (who will no doubt want a licence for an Old Etonian tie).

That would not fit with the view of "effortless superiority"; I suspect he would rather that the tie was only sold by one shop on Eton High Street (nice free market!), manned by an old retainer of the college, who would recognise you as you came in and who would thereby ensure than no bounders (at least of the non Old Etonian type) were able to obtain such an article.

David

... remember the Christmas tree standard?

I remember the 'Directive' on the erection of Christmas trees and decorations in Commission offices (in German). I used to have a copy of it, but cannot now find it. I don't suppose you happen to have a copy?

There is a British regimental tie where the stripes go 'the wrong way' but I can't remember which one.

I remember the 'Directive' on the erection of Christmas trees and decorations in Commission offices (in German). I used to have a copy of it, but cannot now find it. I don't suppose you happen to have a copy?

No, I don't. I meant the furore in Britain about the standards laid down for the sale of Christmas trees - branches should be covered in needles right the way around, and so on. In fact, this was a standard set by the European Christmas Tree Growers Association (no, the Commission didn't either) and nothing to do with the EU. We had the same trouble with standards for playground toys. That was the Toy Manufacturers Association. Didn't stop the British papers fulminating about EU interference.

Gents

As a person who served in the RE as a boy soldier at Beachley (BOBA) and then as RE and then as RE Commando, only to leave the regulars and join the TA as a member of 67 (Queens Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry) Signals Squadron (V) , yes a signals squadron who wore a Royal Signals badge in the beret and the collar dogs of the Warwickshire Yeomanry and the NCO Pear Blossom of the Worcestershire Yeomanry. and only for years later to be the membership secretary of the QOWWY Comrades Association.

I am sure I could strangle myself easily on all those ties. Surely if you served in it then you can wear it.

The only one part I buck at is when people wear the jacket & badge of one, the tie of another, and the beret of another at the same time.

As a Royal Engineer it is Commando beret with RE Badge and Cdo RE Tie.

When it is QOWWY. It is blue beret Signals Badge, QOWWYCA Tie, and I do allow myself Warwickshire Buttons, Mainly because I was born and raised and still live there.

The question I raise is am I entitled to wear the Warwickshire Yeomanry Tie or the Worcestershire Yeomanry Tie?

The two Regiments were amalgamated together in 1956 to be the QOWWY. The units went forward to the Q.O.Mercian & Lancastrian Yeomanry eventually and I agree I would not wear the tie.

Is it ok to wear Back Regiments but not Forward?

What are your views please?

Yeomanterry

My view Terry? No, you can't/shouldn't wear either a Warwickshire or a Worcestershire Yeomanry tie, as you were never in either; it sits as a QOWWY tie. Some (not me) might even quibble at a QOWWY tie with an R Sigs badge.

By the same yardstick, if you joined, for sake of argument, the King's Own Royal Border Regiment in the 1960s - or later, for that matter, that wouldn't entitle you to a King's Own or Border Regiment tie.

One of the aspects of Territorial Service is many units bore honour titles of former Yeomanry, Gunner and Infantry Regiments. Consequently these often end up as Squadron, Battery or Company ties. As individuals have served in that sub-unit it seems appropriate they wear that tie with Corps blazer (RA, Signals, Sappers, RLC etc etc). And in many cases the Regiment decides it wants a tie. So you end up with sub unit, unit and Corps ties. Hence enough ties to hang ones self.

This also leads to wearing of different ties / blazers - Corps blazer / unit / sub unit ties.

I think the observing "if you served in it then you can wear it" is sound advice.

Crikey! I'd better take a look at some of those stripey ties I've got, who knows who I might be walting as?

If you're a civvie and it's a civvie affair and it's your tie, wear it. Definitely not on Remembrance day though.

If you're going to a regimental dinner, probably best not to unless you want to find yourself going home after, shall we say, a 'boisterous' evening with just half a tie. :devilgrin: Wear that flowery kipper tie instead, with a loose knot and the short end sticking out at an angle. Sure to impress.

..don't forget to add the SAS beret and enough medals to make a Ugandan Field Marshal blush, Andy :thumbsup:

No, we're not going there again...

But seriously - a couple of years ago a gent's outfitters in Covent Garden in London (whose style I mightdeclare as 'fashionable fogey-ish', but won't name) had a tie on sale which was extremely close to the Royal Regient of Artillery, which is hardly indistinctive. Bad boys.

I think the American company which makes the obscure and long-gone unit ties mentioned afore in this thread does them not for retired Colonels in the Shires as much as the "preppie" market there. After all, who is going to recognise a Clacutta Home Guard tie in Oshkosh?

I apologise for my appalling typing - it's because (another bug, I suppose) the Smiley drop down is permanently open and I can't seem to close it.

I've seen a chap a couple of times in Durham walking about with a beret with a Tyneside Scottish badge on it. My maths worked out that if he served and was 16 when they disbanded (1918) he is 108 yrs old !

I think not

Mick

Is he possibly a member of the Regimental Association? There are quite a few Associations for disbanded regiments.

There is a British regimental tie where the stripes go 'the wrong way' but I can't remember which one.

10th Royal Hussars, I believe, for one. But they were always a bit special (known as The Shiners because of their shiny finish).

The RAFA, too, I believe, is back to front, but then what would you expect of the boys in powder blue?

Incidentally, did the Tyneside Scottish not exist in WW2, too? I think (though I'm not sure) they were a battalion of the DLI for some reason, transferring to the Black Watch later. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure, for once.

Incidentally, did the Tyneside Scottish not exist in WW2, too? I think (though I'm not sure) they were a battalion of the DLI for some reason, transferring to the Black Watch later. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure, for once.

The honour title Tyneside Scottish was adopted by 12th Battalion Durham Light Infantry (TA) when it was formed on the 31st March 1939 as a duplicate battalion of 9 DLI.

On the 1st February 1940 it became the 1st Battalion Tyneside Scottish, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment). The battalion was reduced to cadre strength after the Normandy battles and was disbanded 14th November 1944.

The honour title passed to the Royal Artillery on the reforming of the TA in 1947, and is currently held by 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery RA (v)

Tyneside Scottish tie

post-46676-031236900 1280411000.jpg

I've seen a chap a couple of times in Durham walking about with a beret with a Tyneside Scottish badge on it. My maths worked out that if he served and was 16 when they disbanded (1918) he is 108 yrs old !

I think not

Mick

Mick

The Tyneside Scottish badge is still worn today by 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery Royal Artillery (V), and has been worn on recent operations (Iraq in the soft hat phase). I believe this is the only Pals Battalion where the cap bade is still worn today.

However.....it should be worn with either a Tam O Shanter or Glengarry . So the guy still sounds an odd ball !!

Is he possibly a member of the Regimental Association? There are quite a few Associations for disbanded regiments.

Squirell

The Tyneside Scottish Association is actually a flourishing branch of the RAA. The Tyneside Scottish is still an active operational unit with many of the battery having served or currently serving in Afgahnistan (and Cyprus !).

Unless he is one of the ex 1 TS Black Watch (not sure why he would wear a beret), I still go with the odd ball theory.