Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Ties-who can wear them?

Mr Sifter

I do wear the RAA tie, but am loath to wear the full Regimental tie, even though I have been "instructed" to.

Phil

If you don't feel comfortable, don't wear it. It will do senior military officers some good to remind them that they can't order civilians about.

Ron

I am also a member of the Royal Artillery Historical Society and am therefore also allowed to wear their tie, although my wife refuses to go out with me when I do wear it! It is Bright blue with black and yellow stripes!

Phil

:wacko:

How did they come up with that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It provides a simple way to recognize and recover their members from the local constabulary after a highly spirited regimental function.

"I think it is inappropriate to wear it on occasions when the regiment is officially represented, either by modern members (of a successor regiment, perhaps) or their Old Comrades Association as an official delegation. Nor should you wear it if you happened to be the guest of the regiment at a dinner or other function."

A contary view if I may - A Regiment (on the Association of which I serve) presented a Regimental tie to the father of a soldier killed in action and asked that he wear it at the Regimental Remembrance Parade, which he did proudly and to the pleasure of all assembled.

Nick

Apparently the colours represent the constituent parts of Gunpowder, they are also the colours of the old Royal Military Academy, but in different proportions!

Phil

So do we assume Mr Jenkins and Mr Clifton attended the same school? Was it Approved?

I wear my Gunner tie (entitled); I wear my father's Royal Warwickshire Regiment association tie (I would argue entkltled through associate membership and connections to the RRF through Cadet service.

I wear a Staffordshire Yeomanry tie as I served in the successor unit (B (Staffs Yeo) Sqn, Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry - whose tie it was also; strangely we never had a QOMY 'regimental' tie, but equally I could not/would not ewear a Rioyal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry tie, which is where the QOMY ended up). My uncle, a member of the Normandy Veterans Association, bought a blazer for me from an effects sale 'because it's got Warwicks buttons on it' - actually they're staybrite, so probably more likely RRF (entitled) but I asked the local seamstress(mother!) to remove the NVA badge, I cannot wear that.

I was awarded a Regimental tie of 14(Trg)Regiment RA - never served in it, but my unit was affiliated to it with every intention I should wear it, and I have.

The MGC OCA produced and sold a modern version of the MGC tie for association use; no problems accrued to people who had never been in the MGC, especially since they are all gone now.

I have quite a collection of regimental ties. A few I can make a plausible claim to wearing, such as the 17th London, my grandfather's unit; the Royal Green Jackets (actually Rifle Brigade), which had an affiliation with the 17th London; and the Royal Artillery, which presumably the U.S. Army Field Artillery in which I served could trace its origin. The Old Boy Tie Police aren't very active on this side of the pond so I figure I can get away with wearing them here with impunity.

Phil

If you don't feel comfortable, don't wear it. It will do senior military officers some good to remind them that they can't order civilians about.

Ron

Ron

Not so much an order, more of a complement as it was tempered with the phrase, "you do enough for the Regiment, so you are entitled to wear it". I'm, still not comfortable with that though.

Phil

Mr Sifter,

Provided that you are confident enough to explain the reasoning behind wearing the regimental tie, I see no issue. This is an act of remembrance rather than an attempt to convince anyone that you were a member - were your relative's tie with pride.

Roxy

Perhaps Broomers will give me permission to wear the tie of his regiment, the London Scottish. I have given him many an opportunity to defend the honour of his unit when I've been in a trolling mood and said rude things about it.

In my case I was granted honorary membership to my local branch of the RAA, and presented with the RAA tie, but quite rightly I cannot wear the Regimental tie.

As Secretary and Standard Bearer of my local branch of the Royal Hampshire Regiment Association, it is part of the rig to wear the tie. This has been approved by the High Command, despite my only link being as local Battalion historian, and three years ACF under the cap badge, which entitles me to associate membership.

In the long run it comes down to what you feel comfortable with, even if you have been granted permission, but I would view such permission as an honour.

Gareth

There is a difference between association ties and regimental and corps ties, I would hope. But then maybe in my previous posts I'm being unfair, this afternoon while out on a walk I saw a man wearing a football shirt with No7 Beckham on the back, so either Beckham has gained about 5 stone and let himself really go and drinks Carling from a can or it was an imposter.

At my local RA Association there are a number different Regimental ties.

Interestingly the ex Military Police member never wears his Corps tie !!!!!

There is a difference between association ties and regimental and corps ties, I would hope. But then maybe in my previous posts I'm being unfair, this afternoon while out on a walk I saw a man wearing a football shirt with No7 Beckham on the back, so either Beckham has gained about 5 stone and let himself really go and drinks Carling from a can or it was an imposter.

An imposter I think Mick. That sounds like a dead ringer for Rooney.

Cheers,

Nigel

There is a difference between association ties and regimental and corps ties, I would hope.

My regimental association tie is the same that of the regiment but with the addition of a woven association badge.

As Phil (post 32) knows, I have my grandfather's MGC tie - actually it turns out to be his MGCOCA tie (probably one of the first). I occasionally wear it - particularly after joining the MGCOCA myself - and with pride.

It is patently obvious - despite the odd grey hair - that I never served in the MGC myself !

Click here for what is probably the world's most comprehensive source of regimental ties available for sale. It wouldn't surprise me if this American vendor muscling into the regimental tie market is cited as yet another example of "Yankee Imperialism." :o

Click here for what is probably the world's most comprehensive source of regimental ties available for sale. It wouldn't surprise me if this American vendor muscling into the regimental tie market is cited as yet another example of "Yankee Imperialism." :o

The Royal Military Academy tie shown has the wrong proportions, and is closer to the RA Historical Society tie mentioned above, otherwise a very comprehensive listing

Phil

Some of the names of the regiments are not entirely accurate - the East Anglian regiment for instance.

The London Irish Rifles (not regiment!) has a black stripe not a blue one.

Why do people connected to the army get so worked up about this? My old school tie is identical to that of Glasgow Grammar School. Does this mean I should (or should not) wear my school tie when I go to Glasgow?

There are only so many designs of ties. No doubt there are people wearing all sorts of designs of ties without having the slightest idea what the 'officer corps' think they represent. Frankly, if some old ........... confronted me about the tie I was wearing I would, to put it politely, tell him to grow up and go away.

This is the sort of thing that brings the armed forces into disrepute. The word blimp springs to mind.

Taking that to the nth conclusion would mean one standard tie for everybody regardless of which organisation, club, school, university they belonged to or went to.................certainly would save making a choice when buying a tie tough.

I used to think that my father's striped tie was something to do with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, but, from the website quoted above, it appears that it may be a Yorkshire Hussars tie!

Unless I missed it, the London Jock tie was not present; it would help if there were a search function. Also, what are they made of? A gentleman would never wear polyester.