Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Ties-who can wear them?

Mr Sifter

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:41, IPT said:

Here's a picture of me, wearing my tie with pride today.

tie.jpg

Are there bonus points for knowing this young man goes by the name of 6ix 9ine?  He sings the hippin' and the hoppin'.

No bonus points. In fact you should be ashamed for knowing that and embarrassed about admitting the fact.

Do we assume he got dressed in the dark?

I can only assume he does, or that he dresses that way for a bet. 

One should never be ashamed of knowledge, however eclectic. 

My one is from a disbanded regiment and was given as a gift when I attended a meeting long distance.

On 21/07/2018 at 20:58, gordon92 said:

I was gifted a regimental tie by my late dear friend Lt. Col. David Murray, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.  I wear the tie from time-to-time in memory of David.

Gosh Lt Col David Murray, now that is a name from the past. I remember as a very young RHF subaltern sitting listening to him and the last CO of the Cameronians swing the lamps it was memorable and quite expensive!

Having recently moved my father to new accommodation I have inherited his collection (over 15) accrued between 1946 and 84. They include the RMAS and Alamein Company ties, his Sapper tie and numerous course ones including Shrivenham and some rather nice eclectic ones like the Arab Dhow for the Dhala Road (Aden 1966).

In my 8 years I have a modest collection mostly unwearable (I believe most are designed by committee with little respect for those who have to wear them).  My regimental one for the RHF  although special is not as nice as its successor the Royal Regiment of Scotland in silk - can I wear that instead?

Interesting Rob. I wear my  RE tie and also have a RMCS Shrivenham tie from my time as an instructor with Ammunition Branch, Weapons and Vehicles Division. Interesting days.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:23, daggers said:

That master of name-dropping of products, I. Fleming, included in a Bond book an uncharacteristic howler.  One of his villains was described as wearing the unmistakable zigzag tie of the Royal Engineers. Possibly From Russia with Love?

My copy is long gone.

D

Yes, it is 'from Russia With Love' … Red Grant is described as wearing 'A dark blue and red zig-zagged tie of the Royal Engineers, tied with a Windsor knot'. I'm not sure whether this is in the book, though, or whether it's just in the film.

The RE tie is not a zig-zag pattern, but a diagonal one although  the colours are the same.  What is described is the tie of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 30/07/2018 at 13:04, Rob B said:

Gosh Lt Col David Murray, now that is a name from the past. I remember as a very young RHF subaltern sitting listening to him and the last CO of the Cameronians swing the lamps it was memorable and quite expensive!

Interesting.  By last CO of the Cameronians, do you mean Lt. Col. Leslie Dow?  If so, I am sure the stories were colorful since I do do not think that the two of them were mutual admirers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2018 at 21:32, gordon92 said:

Interesting.  By last CO of the Cameronians, do you mean Lt. Col. Leslie Dow?  If so, I am sure the stories were colorful since I do do not think that the two of them were mutual admirers.

I do, both were on the Tattoo committee in 78 when I was trying to look after the admin party at Milton Bridge.

Never saw any tension between them, but as a very impressionable 2/Lt I wasn't aware of the history between them. 

4 hours ago, Rob B said:

I do, both were on the Tattoo committee in 78 when I was trying to look after the admin party at Milton Bridge.

Never saw any tension between them, but as a very impressionable 2/Lt I wasn't aware of the history between them. 

David Murray was a friend of mine, and he did not elaborate on the point except to say that there were difficulties between them.

• 3 months later...

Regimental number plate anyone? 

I was stuck behind one that one or two members that have links to a certain Welsh regiment. 

** 23 RWF for a number plate?

My husband has a yearning for RN** YEO :)