Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Ties-who can wear them?

Mr Sifter

A little further description might help, his jacket has an ecclectic mix of badges & medals.

I'll look a bit closer next time I see him, I might be doing him an injustice, I thought his regimental association was over 90 years old.

Mick

..don't forget to add the SAS beret and enough medals to make a Ugandan Field Marshal blush, Andy :thumbsup:

Oi!

That's my Dada you're talking about!

:lol:

Nigel

Remember that character Kenny Everett used to do, the American with huge shoulders, now that was a taly of medals.

Mick

Oi!

That's my Dada you're talking about!

:lol:

Nigel

Someone get Mr Marshall's coat (or should I offer a quick Amin to that prayer?)

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor, Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular". What tie would he be he wearing?

He'd be entitled to wear a King's African Rifles tie, but the one he's wear looks like a REME one!

He wasn't at Arborfield when I was there I know that much.

Personally, I'd let him wear whatever tie he wanted to.

Cheers,

Nigel

Michael Jackson wore a Royal Engineers blazer badge during his trial, I've just googled him and found what looks like an RCT badge and Northumberland Fusliers also.

Mick

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor, Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular". What tie would he be he wearing?

Are those Israeli para's wings he's wearing?

If you want a laugh - though it ain't PC - check out John Bird's "The Collected Broadcasts of Idi Amin." There's a few of these on Youtube. I especially recommend "Amazin' Man." :)

I think anything in one-inch hemp would look good around his neck... :innocent:

Michael Jackson wore a Royal Engineers blazer badge during his trial, I've just googled him and found what looks like an RCT badge and Northumberland Fusliers also.

Mick

Even worse, the jacket he favoured in the 90s was that of an officer in the KGB protection service for the members of the Politburo. With an RE blazer badge on it. Proved he didn't have a scooby do, but it looked smart and pretty...

My Uncle, badly wounded in the Italian Campaign, was alway struck at how well tailored the SS officers' unifroms were...

Actually, I think Idi Amin's para wings were Israeli. But there is so much copying and derivation, it needs an expert (such as Bragg and Turner 'Parachute Wings of the World' - very small print run, if you have one, pass it to your grandchildren as an investment)

Are those Israeli para's wings he's wearing?

If you want a laugh - though it ain't PC - check out John Bird's "The Collected Broadcasts of Idi Amin." There's a few of these on Youtube. I especially recommend "Amazin' Man." :)

Ahh yess.... the Idi Amin letters in (the late lamented) Punch, written by Alan Coren (late and very lamented). My favourite was one of Idi being a second hand car salesman... 'Buy dis car... Used only by old lady to drive from house to drive to collect post.. Got all de new, including de modern vinyl seats, dead good, but pessonally I find it stick to de b*m"

• 7 years later...
On 20/07/2010 at 12:09, ianjonesncl said:

At least a Royal Artilley tie can not be confused with other Regiments.

Well apart from the HAC, or if lunch was particularly good the RSDG or FAA??

9 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

Well apart from the HAC, or if lunch was particularly good the RSDG or FAA??

Eight years that took :lol:

I was gifted a regimental tie by my late dear friend Lt. Col. David Murray, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.  I wear the tie from time-to-time in memory of David.

I was once approached at he RAC Club at a meeting by a very snooty and pompous ex RAF 'Winco" and asked which 'hisse' I had been in. When I responded that I didn't understand him he said, "Well you're wearing an Eton Tie". I replied by saying - in deepest souf London, "Not me mate, Queens Road Seconary Modern me"

Reddening he asked, "Then why are you wearing an Eton tie"? To which I showed him the NEXT lablel and smiled. After, I also made a point of wearing the tie at every meeting at which I though he might be present. He never annoyed me, or acknowledged my presence, again.

That said, I personally would not wear any 'club,  tie to which I was not personally entitled. Actually I'd rather not wear a tie at all except for key posh events, weddings and funerals.

funerals

I once challenged a dilapidated creature and said to him, "Why are you wearing an Old Etonian tie ?"

He replied, " Because, Sir, I can't afford a new one !"

Wasn't you, by any chance ?

17 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

I once challenged a dilapidated creature and said to him, "Why are you wearing an Old Etonian tie ?"

He replied, " Because, Sir, I can't afford a new one !"

Wasn't you, by any chance ?

Or the alternative answer:(Preferably in a Manc. accent)

"Why are you wearing an Old Etonian tie?"

"Gotta keep me kecks up somehow"

Edited by Guest

That master of name-dropping of products, I. Fleming, included in a Bond book an uncharacteristic howler.  One of his villains was described as wearing the unmistakable zigzag tie of the Royal Engineers. Possibly From Russia with Love?

My copy is long gone.

D

was VIP protection to Princess Annie during her visit to winter Olympics, as a gesture of thanks they gave me a Royal Protection Tie, am I  eligible to wear it????

Bluebottle: I like your tie, Eccles. Where's it from?
Eccles: Cambridge.
B: I didn't know you went to Cambridge, Eccles.
E: Yes. I went to Cambridge, Bluebottle.
B: What were you doing in Cambridge, Eccles?
E: Buying a tie!

SAS, obviously. A special commemorative tie for those who drove the Pink Panthers in Radfan or wherever it was.

On 21/07/2018 at 07:14, Steven Broomfield said:

Eight years that took :lol:

Time spent in silent marking is seldom wasted?

honestly I was poised, like a coiled spring.

On 22/07/2018 at 21:23, daggers said:

That master of name-dropping of products, I. Fleming, included in a Bond book an uncharacteristic howler.  One of his villains was described as wearing the unmistakable zigzag tie of the Royal Engineers. Possibly From Russia with Love?

My copy is long gone.

D

Good riddance to it!  I'm surprised Ian Fleming didn't go the whole hog and start one of those dull Gunner lanyard name-calling things!