Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Ties-who can wear them?

Mr Sifter

I am entitled to wear the Regimental tie of a relative who served in the Great War at a commemoratve ceremony such as Remembrance day etc?

Mr Sifter,

I dont see a problem wearing a regimental tie that is connected to a regiment that one of you relatives served in. You are in effect keeping that link alive in my view. If someone was to ask why you are wearing the tie, you would tell them the reasons behind it. I'm nearly sure that Arthur Halestrap, ex WW1 RE, and one of the last Tommies with us from the Great War used to wear an RAF tie in memory of his son who was lost in WW2 in RAF service.

Regards

Iain

Some purists wouldn't like it, but as you'd be wearing the tie as an act of Remembrance as opposed to trying to pass yourself off as a former member of that particular regment, I have no problem with it either.

It's a nice idea.

Cheers,

Nigel

Some purists wouldn't like it, but as you'd be wearing the tie as an act of Remembrance as opposed to trying to pass yourself off as a former member of that particular regment, I have no problem with it either.

It's a nice idea.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thank you both for your comments, much appreciated.

No I don't think its a good idea, obviously there is no law against wearing the tie unless of course you are using it to pass yourself off as somebody else or something you're not, but in effect you are deceiving by default. If anyone disagrees with that, tell me if ypu think some regimental ties are ok but others aren't, for example uncle Ben served in the SAS he is long gone but left you his tie and lapel pin badge, should you wear it to a remembrance service? Should you wear it to the office or Tesco's, when is it ok to wear it? Is it ok to wear a Army Catering Corp tie but not a Parachute Regiment tie?

I wouldn't do it, either. It can also confuse people: some years ago I was at the funeral of a fellow WFA member; I was wearing my regimental tie (to which I am entitled) - the London Scottish. I was approached by a very senior WFA chap who asked me if my father or another relative had been in the RFC (I suppose at least he didn't ask if I'd been in the RFC ;) ). Apparently the RFC tie was no dissimilar to the London Jock one.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable about wearing a tie to which I wasn't entitled, in the same way I'd feel dubious about wearing medals to which I wasn't entitled. To me, it just doesn't seem 'right' somehow.

But each to his own, so don't let me stop you. I'm a right old curmudgeon, me :thumbsup:

Problematic, I think, especially as, unlike medals worn on the right breast, there's no obvious way of indicating that a tie is being worn 'in memory of', particularly if it is the tie of a current regiment. If I happened to have an example of the tie of a regiment that a relative served in during the Great War and that is now defunct, I might wear it, but I don't think I would wear the tie of a current regiment that is the successor of one a relative served in, or even a tie that is the same today as it was in 1914-18.

Hello Mr Sifter, and welcome to the Forum!

Personally I would not, but if you want to wear it as an act of remembrance at your local church or war memorial, then I'd say go ahead.

I think it is inappropriate to wear it on occasions when the regiment is officially represented, either by modern members (of a successor regiment, perhaps) or their Old Comrades Association as an official delegation. Nor should you wear it if you happened to be the guest of the regiment at a dinner or other function.

It is really a matter of courtesy rather than "rights".

Ron

As a woman, and not knowledgeable in regimental ties, I would presume it was yours and that you renmain proud to wear it, I would ask what regiment it was cos I am nosey and if you chose to tell me why you were wearing it I would not have a problem with it,

I myself have a Poppy tattoo on my right shoulder it saves me from explaining why I wore a Poppy when it 'wasnt time for remembrance!'

We all have our own ways of remembering, none are wrong in my eyes,

Mandy x

I think with ties (and blazer badges etc.) you have to ask who was entitled to buy them and what was the intention at time of sale?

You can for instance go into a National Trust shop and buy (no questions asked) a tie with an oak leaf symbol on it. I believe the National Trust welcome the idea of "supporters" almost as much as "members". So no problem.

I was until recently (when I rationalised my professional memberships) a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and they had a tie available either at their headquarters or via their "members only" mailings; I would now no more wear that tie than I would use the post-nominal letters. The IMechE made it very clear that I should cease to use the post-nominals, but did not bother saying anything about the tie. I suspect that this is because they recognise that they can more easily enforce the improper use of post-nominals, than they can police the wearing of "insignia".

My late father worked for the Royal Aircraft Establishment and had an RAE tie (which was not on general sale), I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it - it's as if I was "holding out" that I had worked for the RAE. (See for instance Bar Council guidance in respect of professionals "holding out")

It would be convenient if there was some way of defacing (in the heraldic sense) a tie - possibly by means of a tie-clip or similar to indicate that it was being worn "in memoriam".

David

I myself have a Poppy tattoo on my right shoulder

Mandy x

I say ...ding dong ... :wub:

Personally I would be inclined to steer clear of possible confusion or even perhaps embarrassment where one might be mistaken for actually having served in the regiment concerned.

The exceptions are those regiments which were disbanded after the Great War. I am particularly thinking of the Irish regiments which disappeared in the early 1920s. As a member of the RDFA, I am proud to wear their tie which I believe is the same as that originally worn by members of the regiment.

The best person to provide this advice would be the Regimental Secretary of the Regiment (or successor Regiment) concerned.

Which Regiment is it ?

Quite a few regimental associations would allow you to join as an associate member. This might entitle you to wear the tie, depending upon their constitution.

As has been suggested contact the secretary of the regimental association to find out.

G

Would you really want to wear it.

The initial impression given to people would be that you had served in that regiment. Whether the intention was deliberately to give this impression or not, it is a false impression. No exceptions. I would not dream of wearing my fore-fathers service ties for support or rememberance, I can wear my own and just attend. I was presented with a tie from a University, simply for attending a short course there about 30 years ago, I still have not drummed up the courage to wear it.

Alan

I wouldn't do it, either. It can also confuse people: some years ago I was at the funeral of a fellow WFA member; I was wearing my regimental tie (to which I am entitled) - the London Scottish. I was approached by a very senior WFA chap who asked me if my father or another relative had been in the RFC (I suppose at least he didn't ask if I'd been in the RFC ;) ). Apparently the RFC tie was no dissimilar to the London Jock one.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable about wearing a tie to which I wasn't entitled, in the same way I'd feel dubious about wearing medals to which I wasn't entitled. To me, it just doesn't seem 'right' somehow.

But each to his own, so don't let me stop you. I'm a right old curmudgeon, me :thumbsup:

Takes me back to when I knew a Doctor who transferred to the RAMC from the Sri Lanken Medical Corps, he asked his London tailor to order him a Sri Lankan Medical Corps tie, when it arrived several weeks later and at some considerable cost it turned out to be the exact same pattern and colours as an RAMC tie, in fact it was an RAMC tie.

I'm surprised that some old regimental ties get recognised, there are so many different organisational ties that are so similar these days. My Father's old school tie was very similar to my university tie, the colours being identical and the only difference being a minute variance in the thickness of a stripe. In turn both ties were very similar to a regimental tie from one of the old county regiments.

For myself I'd be uneasy wearing someone elses regimental tie. This may be because I was once harangued by a very choleric old gent for wearing a tie to which he thought I was not entitled (I was in fact wearing my university tie) and he wouldn't let me get a word in to explain.

I was asked at the Menin Gate if my tie "was a mistake !"

post-46676-056332400 1279624043.jpg

At least a Royal Artilley tie can not be confused with other Regiments.

There is also a problem insofar as some organisations have very similar - if not indentical - ties; my old school tie was similar to that of the 1st (City of London) Royal Fusiliers and identical to that of the Brigade of Guards.

I was recently "pulled" by a Royal Artillery Colonel for NOT wearing the Regimental Tie at a funeral. I have never served in the RA but have very close connections, (Secretary of an RAA Branch, Chair South London District RAA, Secretary South East Region RAA, Secretary of the National Artillery Association and Secretary of teh Friends of Firepower (The RA Museum). I do not consider that I should wear the Regimental Tie, but it appears that some of the powers that be think I should due to my Regimental committments.

Phil

... my old school tie was similar to that of the 1st (City of London) Royal Fusiliers and identical to that of the Brigade of Guards.

Mine too!

Ron

I was recently "pulled" by a Royal Artillery Colonel for NOT wearing the Regimental Tie at a funeral. I have never served in the RA but have very close connections, (Secretary of an RAA Branch, Chair South London District RAA, Secretary South East Region RAA, Secretary of the National Artillery Association and Secretary of teh Friends of Firepower (The RA Museum). I do not consider that I should wear the Regimental Tie, but it appears that some of the powers that be think I should due to my Regimental committments.

Phil

Phil

I thought you would be able to wear the RA tie as an associate member of the RAA.

This is the point T8Hants was making reference Regimental Associations.

Ian

I do wear the RAA tie, but am loath to wear the full Regimental tie, even though I have been "instructed" to. It just doesn't seem quite right to me. Having said that, I would consider it an honour, as I do consider myself to be somewhat of an "honourary

" Gunner.

Phil

Many years o I spent a considerable time on an HM ship. During that time the wardroom produced a ship's tie for sale to anyone in the ship.

I bought one and, considering the time I was on board I thought I was entitled. A few days later took on a group of boffins for a few days, and lo and behold they bought them as well. I asked the wardroom treasurer about entitlement and his reply was succinct. "The profit goes to the ship's funds". I still have the tie over 40 years later (despite my wife's efforts to get rid of it).

I also still have my POLARIS tie - and to get that you had to have a signed statement that you had spent at least 12 months working full time on the project.

I am also a member of the Royal Artillery Historical Society and am therefore also allowed to wear their tie, although my wife refuses to go out with me when I do wear it! It is Bright blue with black and yellow stripes!

Phil