Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
widwick

MIC & Medal Roll error?

widwick

The MIC shows OR service 19/R Fus, then RE Lieut but under that: 2/Lieut*

The * indicates Commissioned in DLI and gives DLI roll references for the BWM and VM. (No mention of any other Regiment)

The DLI Medal Roll says the medals were authorised and issued 11.2.21.

But his service papers say he was commissioned into the Glosters, served with them until transferred to the RE. (This is confirmed by London Gazette entries)

Question for the PALS is : Was it possible for officers (who I understand had to claim their medals) to get medals erroneously from another regiment.

Tony

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Does his service records say he was commissioned in to the Gloucestershire Regt and then attached DLI?

Check the Army Lists, they should clear this one up.

Ian

widwick

Ian

Thanks for the reply - no, no mention of him ever being near the DLI in his service papers.

There was no-one commissioned into the DLI of his surname on the date given (4.9.16) in the MIC - I have checked this in the ALs and LG. BUT there was one who was commissioned later in the month (26.9.16) but he never served abroad (kept in the Reserve Bn all the time (WO 374) - I have his service papers) and didnt have an MIC.

Regards

Tony