Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Sydney Urwin, 5 Yorkshire Regiment

bigronhartley

Hello,

William Sydney Urwin, 3046/240997, 5 Yorkshire Regiment, and later 203933, 1 Garrison Bn Notts and Derby Regiment. On his return to England,William died on the 16.3.1919 from Pneumonia (contracted on his return from Egypt) at his home in Scarborough. His service papers indicate that his service counted up to the date of his death ie he died whilst still serving. I can't find any mention of him on SDGW or CWGC. Is he a possible candidate for a Non-Commemoration ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Ron

As the service papers confirm his death as in service you have a cast iron case here. Do you wish to submit this case yourself or would you like IFCP to do the case for you with you as the submitting volunteer.

Have you been able to find his grave?

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that William Sydney Urwin appears to be 'a cast iron case' of a non-commemoration, it would be nice to have this oversight rectified and his sacrifice properly recorded. As you and your volunteers have vast experience, and I have no idea of what is involved, I would like IFCP to do the case for me please.

I have only just started to look at W S Urwin so have not yet found his grave. As he died in Scarborough, I assume it will be somewhere close.

I will contact Scarborough Library to see if there is a Newspaper report of his death.

Regards

Ron

Ron

I have e mailed you. If you would like to send the docs through to me I will get the case submitted. I will also contact the council to see if they have a record of his grave. A newspaper report would be very handy.

Chris

This case is not entirely straightforward upon reading the service record but it is likely that Ron is correct.

The records are clearly stamped that Urwin had been discharged from the army and a demobilisation Protection Certificate was issued on 11.03.19. His date of discharge is given as 07.04.19. However, this looks like a case where the paperwork has trundled on oblivious of actual events.

Despite supposedly being discharged on 07.04.19, his period of service is stated to have ended on 16.03.19 - the date given in a letter from his family upon which he is said to have died at home from pneumonia. This is an obvious contradiction.

As Ron wishes IFCP to handle the case and it looks like an in-service death, IFCP will get the death certificate to provide the final proof of death on 16.03.19 and I shall then submit the name for commemoration. Watch this space.

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your reply. His service record does include two letters from his father relating to his death, the first indicates that the Death Certificate is in the hands of his Solicitor but the second clearly states the date and cause of death. Is further proof ie Death Certificate necessary ?

The records are certainly confusing, his demobilisation Protection Certificate was issued on 11.03.19 and yet his date of discharge is given as 07.04.19. Presumably he died whilst on demobilisation leave ?

Thanks to IFCP for taking up the case, hope it's successful.

Regards

Ron

Ron

A statement by relatives is not certain proof as they could be mistaken (though probably not). As there is no actual mention of a date of death in the military papers, it is better to be safe than sorry.

DC is already ordered.

Hello Chris,

Haven't received your email yet, so I assume that Terry is dealing with it. If you contact the council to see if they have a record of his grave I would be most grateful if you could let me know. I will see if there is a newspaper report. Thanks very much for your help, and Terry.

Regards

Ron

Ron

I will carry out a grave search. E mailed you through the forum system which appears to be at fault

Chris

A fast response from Scarborough Council; sadly not the one we wanted through. Unfortunately no trace of his grave in any of the council cemeteries

Hello Chris and Terry,

I had better luck with Scarborough Library, they have located his Obituary and an article about his death in the local Newspaper. It may well reveal where he was buried. I'll keep you informed.

Regards

Ron

Death Certificate received. It confirms his death on 16.03.19 from (1) Epidemic influenza (2) Pneumonia (3) Cardiac Arrest.

Interestingly, it makes no mention of any army connections and gives his occupation as Confectioner (Master).

His case is in the system.

Hello Chris and Terry,

I received details of the Funeral and an Article about William Sydney Urwin's death, which appeared in the local Newspapers, from Scarborough Library today. He was buried in Scarborough New Cemetary on Wednesday, the 19.3.1919. It states that he was demobilised at Clipston Camp on Wednesday last (12.3.1919), it was apparent on his arrival home that he was suffering from illness contracted during the journey home. The effects of cold and exposure, following upon the hot climate from which he came, quickly developed into pneumonia and he passed away on Sunday (16.3.1919). Thanks for your help.

Regards

Ron

Hello Terry,

Unfortunately the article doesn't give any further information, other than the name of the Cemetary and that the service was conducted by the Rev Thomas Heppell.

He was an old scholar of the Municipal School, he was honorary secretary and treasurer of the Scarborough Casuals Hockey XI, and a member of the Scarborough Master Bakers' Association. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Ron

I will still need a copy please so I will need something to get the council to go back & check their records. Please PM me

Chris

Ron

got the e mail ta; will have a look later

Chris

Grave found at Manor Road/Dean Road Cemetery Grave No M Border 14

Chris

• 4 years later...

URWIN, WILLIAM SYDNEY

Rank:CorporalService No:203933Date of Death:16/03/1919Age:28Regiment/Service:Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st Garrison Bn. Grave Reference:M Border 14Cemetery:SCARBOROUGH (MANOR ROAD) CEMETERYAdditional Information:Son of Arthur Urwin of Scarborough, Yorks.

N.B.

This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

• 3 years later...

Dear Ron and Chris

I've just seen this old exchange.  William Sidney Urwin (Sid) was my Granny's oldest brother.  We are very grateful you put the effort into this.  We understand he is also now commemorated on the War Memorial in Scarborough.  You mention in your exchange that one of you had a newspaper clipping giving details of his death and burial.  I'd be really grateful if you could possibly send me a scan of this so that I can pass it on to the rest of the family. 

Best wishes

Penny Taylor