Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military History in the North West (Bibliography)

shred

Hi Pals,

I have recently bought a book "Military History in the North West" which gives details of where certain documents, books and published works can be found. References start from the 1750's till the 1990's. There is a section covering regiments primarily associated with the old counties of Lancashire and Cheshire covering the following regiments;

Cheshire Regiment

East Lancashire Regiment

King's Liverpool Regiment

The Liverpool Scottish, The Queen's own Cameron Highlanders

King's own Royal Border Regiment

King's own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)

Lancashire Fusiliers

Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire)

Manchester Regiment

Queen's Lancashire Regiment

South Lancashire Regiment

Another section covers Militia, Volunteers, Yeomanry, Rifle Volunteers and Territorials and another for World War 1.

The book only gives brief details of where the documents are held i.e. (1131) Taylor, James. My Experience as a Prisoner of War with the Germans, 1919. Locations: 7 Location 7 = Bolton

If anyone would like me to look anything up please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Garry

• 5 weeks later...
Guest robert orford

Hi Garry

Is there any documentation listed for South Lancashire Regiment? My Grandad was in the South Lancs throughout the war.

Robert

Hi Robert,

May I ask what it is you are looking for, as I stated in my post the book only gives information of where documents are held. The South Lancashire Regiment museum holds lots of records and may well prove a worth while visit see here.

If there is something more specific you are looking for please post.

Regards,

Garry

• 4 years later...

Garry,

Just found this old thread searching for 'east lancashire'. I am looking for a copy of 'The History of the East Lancashire Regiment in the Great War 1914-1919.' I know the Lancashire Regiments museum in Preston have a copy but wondered if there is a copy nearer to home, I live south Manchester so thinkng local libraries. A search on Manchester Central Library drew a blank.