Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Hussars

joee86

Any unit histories on the the 10th Hussars from 1906 to 1919? Looking for a Stanley Ecker or Stanley Eckers.

Thanks.

Joe Eckers.

The 10th Hussars and the Essex Yeomanry in the Great War (I forget the author) is the regimental history. Available (I think) from Naval and Military Press as a reprint; like rocking horse po as an original.

• 1 month later...

Joe - thanks for the e-mail: I thought I'd post a reply here in case anyone else saw it and could add more.

Whitmore's history has lists of all casualties - dead, wounded, missing, POW of all ranks - and a Corporal S Eckers (number 2809) is listed as being wounded in the action on 13th May, 1915, at Verlorenhoek.

In the action, the 10th Royal Hussars (XRH for short) were part of the 8th Cavalry Brogade in 3rd Cavalry Division. The two regiments of Life Guards (7th Cav Bde) had been driven out of some trenches and the XRH were ordered, with other units, to counter attack.

The attack wasn't a success, and 4 officers (including the CO and a squadron commander) were killed, along with 27 men. 6 officers and 101 men were wounded. The actin was part of the Battles of Ypres, 1915, and was the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge.

I know from your e-mail that your Eckers had a different number, but it's a coincidence that two men with the same (unusual) name and initial were in the regiment. Might be worth checking the medla cards to see if numbers were changed or something.

I couldn't find any more about him, I'm afraid, but I am hoping to acquire a copy of the history in due course so will have a bit more time to look. Probably in the dog house if Mrs B finds out.

There's also a 977 Cpl.S.Eckers listed in the history as wounded on 4th April 1918.

Dave

Didn't see that one!

Joe... free (PDF or other format) version of Whitmore's history available HERE

Dave

• 4 months later...

The 10th Hussars and the Essex Yeomanry in the Great War (I forget the author) is the regimental history. Available (I think) from Naval and Military Press as a reprint; like rocking horse po as an original.

This book (by Lt Col Whitmore, incidentally) is available to read on-line or as a free download from www.archive.org/details/10thpworoyalhuss00whit -it's out of copyright so no issues there. It contains an enormous amount of detail on the 10th Hussars (& Essex Yeomanry) in WW1, full officers' roll, dates of coming and going, when wounded etc.

There are many other interesting documents to be found on www.archive.org, including for example the 1911 Delhi Durbar directory which lists all the regiments attending, the names of the officers and their guests. The 10th Hussars were there.