Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Some badges and medals

post-42730-028728600 1282949576.jpg

WW1 pattern chalice, WW1 bible belonging to a Sgt in Yorks Rgt who's son was KIA in 1917, quotation and autograph of the Chaplain-General Bishop Taylor Smith who was CG right through the Great War and hidden at the back some buttons from pre WW1 to 1950s.

post-42730-033891500 1282949991.jpg

I love photos but worry about displaying too many in the light, hence the room using lower watt energy bulbs [sorry about the flash in photos]. WW1 Naval chaplain and pre WW1 photo of methodist chaplain wearing his Boer war medals in the cabinet plus WW1 patriotic pin badges, and a WW1 RC chaplain photo by radio. I tend to buy fairly cheap photo frames on our local market where one chap sells ready made ones in what always appears to be 2 sizes, too small or too big!

post-42730-053099400 1282950294.jpg

I acquired a large frame some time ago. It was very tatty when I bought it. This is it after the wood had been restored and a new backing fitted.

Hi Ken,

Beautiful frame, well presented display, looks like you have some great groups there, can you give us some details on regt's etc?

regards

khaki

IMG_0111a.jpg

IMG_0115a.jpg

Hi Matt,

Great to see your collection relating to an area of collecting I have always thought of as difficult to obtain. I have always tried to pick up similar material, mainly pocket new testaments, in fact I bought an American Bible Society New Testament last week, it has the black triangle in the lower right corner of the cover which is made of canvas? I don't know if that is the symbol of the bible society or the YMCA I always thought the latter symbol was red. Maybe you can let me know.

It pays to be careful with photographic and written material I don't know what to suggest other than to speak to museum curators about exposing material to light, I am sure that other members can offer some suggestions.

regards

khaki

I acquired a large frame some time ago. It was very tatty when I bought it. This is it after the wood had been restored and a new backing fitted.

great display and a wonderful collection

question

Bottom right 2nd set DCM & MM with bar?? do they belong to same person? would be interested in hearing how they were won

Regards

Bob R.

Thanks for the comments.

Khaki,

All of the medals are to officers and men of the 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt., with a few Vol. LSGC from the 3rd & 6th Volunteer Battalions which became the 9th when the Territorial force was formed in 1908.

Bob,

The DCM, MM & Bar were all awarded to Sgt. William Griffiths, of the 9th King's. His story can be found on my website at www.9thkings.co.uk in the 'Biographies' section. Coincidentally, today is the anniversary of his death in action in 1918.

Ken

thank you will read with great interest

once again excellent display & collection

Regards

Bob R.

A few shots of my 'Dugout'

regards

Mark

post-11424-043965600 1283626749.jpg

another view

last one

post-11424-030098100 1283627040.jpg

post-11424-086483000 1283627098.jpg

What an impressive dug out it is!!!

TT

another view

last one

very nice, I see quite a few frames with medals/plaques, are they from relatives or general collection

Regards

Bob R.

What a thread. Many thanks to those who posted there collections. I know there's more out there.

Thanks all

Another great collection and well displayed........wish I had a bespoke room for my collection. It is scattered throughout the house much to my wifes annoyance! Oh well.

Here is a small corner and smaal part of the collection.

post-15846-045889900 1283686905.jpg

a part of my library ......... all Great War or Military Manuals, most of these are relevant to 1914 1918, and mostly collected for peanuts 30 to 20 years ago.

The Aviation, and the Naval, are shelved in other rooms.

The very valuable early Victorian stuff is kept off-site, with the family medals.

Library is being re-catalogued, shelf by shelf, at the moment.

The photos exclude the "in frequent use" items, on a shelf over the PC.

post-894-074022500 1283697419.jpg

post-894-039396500 1283697516.jpg

post-894-013485600 1283697612.jpg

Ahh Grumpy,

I think you have it...the best collection one could have is a library. The last thing I would surrender would be my books. The store of knowledge. Hitler knew the power of a book when he burnt them.

Excellant library you have sir!

Regards

TT

Another picture

P.B.

very impressive, a lot of hard work obviously put into such a collection, well done

regards

Bob R.

Hi guys,

Have to agree with all the comments without reservation, I am constantly staggered by the quality of displayed material, limitations of space is always a problem for most of us, but again its what you do with what you have that's just as important. It never occurred to me about the book resource as part of the collection, and Grumpy is absolutely correct in so doing. I would be interested in knowing the cataloging style if Grumpy would care to share it with us. Is it by author, campaign, bio etc ? I have often thought of doing something similar, but it never seems to happen.

regards

khaki

The cataloguing is only the Manuals in the first place, the rest can wait!

I rip about ten off the shelf "where they lie" and allocate numbers x to x plus 9 as a "Temporary location". This is so that in the second wave of catting I know where to find them.

I then allocate a category number: 01=infantry drill and training, 02=musketry, rifles, MGs, revolvers, bayonets training etc etc etc.

This is all in a tabulation so that I can pull all the "Signalling" stuff together on paper, regardless of the size of the book and its position on the shelf.

Every 10 or so numbers I leave a couple unallocated, to deal with cockups in retrospect.

Approx. money values also tabulated: I get these from Abebooks, and go for the middle price if there is such a thing. This is for my heirs and successors when they sell up!

When this is finished I intend to decide categories for the non-manual books.

Essentially it will have to be: RWF including my big collection of books by RWF soldiers/ officers; Badges; Uniforms; the Great War phase by phase ie. run up to war, Mons, Marne ....... Armistice; Occupation; and so forth.

Definitely not by authors.

Happy days.

Thats what winters are for.

best bet is a small batch as a trial run, intending always to scrap it after lessons have been learned.

As for organised, not as I look at the shambles around me ..............