Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Hi Clive, nice display of Manchester material,I did a virtual tour of the Museum, looks like a great place, I wish you could access all museum collections without leaving home, maybe one day it will be possible. Thanks for the opportunity to see part of their material.

Regards

khaki

After the war of 1866 the Kingdom of Hannover was annexed by Prussia. Allready in 1870 hannovrian troops fought with the prussians in the franco-prussian war. In recognation of their assistace and to form an esprit de corps, some of the newly raised hannovrian troops received in 1901 the Gibraltar cufftitle, to commemorate the participance of hann. during the Peninsula war and the defence with the british of Gibraltar against the french. The title was worn by FR73, JR79 and JB10.

thank you for that, learn something new every day

regards

Bob r.

Due to a lack of space, I change my mannequins regularly and I try to compose an outfit that fits a particlar event or period. This one I called 'Nach Paris!', and shows a Füsilier of the 73 hannovrian fusilier regiment in august 14, when they left Hannover 'to Paris' for a short, glorious and victorious war, their helmets and uniforms adorned with flowers....

Superb display Eparges, thank you for sharing it with us. Well photographed, too.

those are excellent displays, if you are running out of room I have lots of space in my basement???

Regards

Bob R.

Llew

Great tip about Tesco for framesthumbsup.png..... plenty in Telford store on Saturday & in 3 frame colour finishes......2 largest £8 & £12 respectively......ask for discount if slight marks on fames or perspex & you get an extra 10% off! whistle.png

Clive

I thought some members might be interested in this particular mannequin I've finally got round to buying. I've never been sure on how best to display kit which otherwise seems to live in boxes, so have finally taken the plunge. I felt that this figure had a youthful face, but at the same time a suitably 'soulful' expression. Whatever; this has just cost £83 delivered from Germany in four days (one being Sunday). Its brand new, very well made and wears a uniform (tailored for me), rather well. I only wish I still had the same youthful figure.

PM me if anyone wants more pictures or details on where they can be bought etc.

Dave Upton

manniquinshirttrouser.th.jpg

Thanks Clive, I'll make a note on asking for the extra discount on not quite perfect frames, it all helps.

Regards. Llew.

'The Range' stocks a <cough> range of deep frames, certainly the Hull store does, I don't know if it is a country-wide chain though.

Cheers,

Neil.

Llew

Great tip about Tesco for framesthumbsup.png..... plenty in Telford store on Saturday & in 3 frame colour finishes......2 largest £8 & £12 respectively......ask for discount if slight marks on fames or perspex & you get an extra 10% off! whistle.png

Clive

just have to show my latest addition, custom framed for my B.D.post-55705-014448400 1282274099.jpg

Looks great robins2 ..........please can you tell me a bit about what has been actually framed for you please? thumbsup.png

Thanks.

Clive

Looks great robins2 ..........please can you tell me a bit about what has been actually framed for you please? thumbsup.png

Thanks.

Clive

Hello Clive

Framed is a miniture replica of my former regiment( Lord Starthcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) Guidon or Battle Honors Flag, we had a Regimental reunion a couple of months ago & I picked it up through a silent auction. I'm afraid the frame cost more than the item, but well worth it.

Regards

Bob R.

Hello Clive

Framed is a miniture replica of my former regiment( Lord Starthcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) Guidon or Battle Honors Flag, we had a Regimental reunion a couple of months ago & I picked it up through a silent auction. I'm afraid the frame cost more than the item, but well worth it.

Regards

Bob R.

Hi Bob

Very nice to have such a Regiment replica.........particularly as you were attached to it. Thanks for explaining what it was.

I'm lucky that my framer of personal items doesn't charge the earth!

Clive

Hi Grumpy, thanks for sharing your 'heavy metal' display, quite exciting possibilities for your permanent arrangement. May I suggest that the bed plates form the corners and border for the rest of the material and perhaps raise the smaller badges by about 1/2" using small backing squares slightly larger than the other badges, by doing that the larger items won't "overpower" the smaller ones. Please excuse me sticking my nose in too far, but I get excited when I see good material. Please let us see the final display. You have some great items to work with.

regards

khaki

Cheers all.

Some nice collections and well displayed. Very jealous! Lets keep them coming.

Cheers all.

Some nice collections and well displayed. Very jealous! Lets keep them coming.

a couple of more frames fo medals with some questions attached, hopefully a member will be able to provide some informationpost-55705-089206200 1282531032.jpg

1st frame: QSA & KSA issued to 78224 Bomb J Whitecroft

14-18 Star,14-18 Med. & Victory Med issued to 94272 Cpl. J. Whitecroft RA

would this group belong to same person

2nd frame :

India Gen Serv., medal issued to 5390 Pte. S. Andrews 2 High L.I

QSA issued to 5390 Pte J. Andrews 2 High L.I.

KSA issued to 5390 Pte. S Andrews 2 High L.I.

Mons Star Issued to CMT 1426 Pte. S.H. Andrews ASC

14-18 Issued to 1426 Pte. S.H Andrews ASC

Victory issued to 1426 Pte. S.H. Andrews ASC

I obtained this group sometime ago & was lead to believe that all belonged to the same person, I am somewhat puzzled that the 1st three, 2 to Pte S. and one to Pte J., all bearing the same regimental #

a couple of more frames fo medals with some questions attached, hopefully a member will be able to provide some informationpost-55705-089206200 1282531032.jpg

1st frame: QSA & KSA issued to 78224 Bomb J Whitecroft

14-18 Star,14-18 Med. & Victory Med issued to 94272 Cpl. J. Whitecroft RA

would this group belong to same person

2nd frame :

India Gen Serv., medal issued to 5390 Pte. S. Andrews 2 High L.I

QSA issued to 5390 Pte J. Andrews 2 High L.I.

KSA issued to 5390 Pte. S Andrews 2 High L.I.

Mons Star Issued to CMT 1426 Pte. S.H. Andrews ASC

14-18 Issued to 1426 Pte. S.H Andrews ASC

Victory issued to 1426 Pte. S.H. Andrews ASC

I obtained this group sometime ago & was lead to believe that all belonged to the same person, I am somewhat puzzled that the 1st three, 2 to Pte S. and one to Pte J., all bearing the same regimental #

post-55705-073233400 1282534135.jpg

Sorry, just bumping the thread in the hope of more postings of pic's. Enjoyed them all, more than once!

Thanks all.

I acquired a large frame some time ago. It was very tatty when I bought it. This is it after the wood had been restored and a new backing fitted.

IMG_0111a.jpg

IMG_0115a.jpg

My main interest is in the Army Chaplain's Department, but also other non combatant roles, and with a limited amount of space I have to rotate things around every now and again.

I like the idea shown earlier of changing uniforms on mannequins and I am going to have a go at that, so watch out for future photos.

My chaplains display contains items from the Boer War up to the Post WW2 era. I suppose one of the 'problems' with a collection focusing on one unit is in segregating the various eras. I haven't managed that, partly because I know what everything is. Perhaps one day I shall have to change things around by era. Perhaps a project over the winter when I sort out the communion sets which are in store elsewhere just now.

Do many of you collect paperwork and how, I wonder, do you offer it for display? With an eye on conservation I have been unsure about this. I have some things in flip over display booklets which you can get in a lot of main stationary stores, usually in A4 size with 20 or so pages. I have to keep them in the bookcase to stop my 2 daughters getting their hands on 'em though! I happen to think a lot of that sort of small item can have a lot of period charm but its hard to know how to display it properly.

I have a couple of the upright square Ikea display cabinets, one of which is temporarily annexed by my wife - see photo of caps.

Regards

Matt

post-42730-072881400 1282948708.jpg