Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Some of the finest displays of military are never seen by the public, not because they area hidden away on military bases ( of which some are) ,but because they are in private collections. On this site we get occasional glimpses of displays that show enormous talent and taste. What I would love to see on this forum is a sub/forum of how collectors present their items that are displayed for personal pleasure. The 'tricks of the trade' ' in showing off items to their best advantage I find fascinating, I would rather see one medal, badge photo, etc displayed well than a box full that are just stored.

Sorry I am rambling a bit, trying to recover from surgery, what I am trying to say is, without compromising personal security would members be prepared to share their talent with the rest of us?

How does everone else feel??

khaki

There is a US-based forum, called appropriately enough the US Militaria Forum, that does precisely this.

US Militaria Forum

Maybe this site needs a spot specifcally for displays, etc.? I would love to see that here for all Great War Militaria.

-Daniel

Thank you my friend for pointing out that forum, I had a quick look and that's the sort of thing I had in mind, I hope that the 'spark' may catch with other G/W forum members, I know I am attracted to any post that has photographs in support, particuarly if they show privately owned and displayed items.

khaki

Khaki.

Your so right on starting this thread! There must be many forum members with collections tucked away. I really hope some are posted up for viewing. As mine is just started, i'll leave to others to start the ball rolling.

Regards Gary.

I think, in principle that is a good idea, but unless you are a multi millionaire where can you amass a comprehensive display these days ? Just about every item costs an arm and a leg.

Luckily for me, I have the Australian War Museum 10 minutes away and that display is unsurpassed.

David

Thanks David, if you look at my original post I think I said that I would rather see one medal, badge photo etc displayed well, than a box lot stored. Something like that anyway, I think its what you do with what you have thats more important. You don't need a lot of money to do something that looks good. Some years ago I worked as a picture framer and had a lot of fun helping families of deceased servicemen displaying their bits and pieces in shadow boxes. Some of the items were valuable and some weren't (except to the family). I remember in one WW1 case there was a photo, buttons a (us )campaign hat cord and a diary but with a little bit of imagination and including an artificial poppy the result was very pleasing to me and to the customer, in fact the veterans daughter wept when she saw it all together. The Great War was often about the mundane things so don't be put off, you can still have a lot of fun.

Best Wishes

khaki

Daniel, you have done very well with your research in support of the family and related phot'os, fascinating story about the ramming of the submarine. The small badge with the two loops looks like a 'son in service' badge worn with pride by parents. These were very popular in WW1 and WW2 and continue to be seen today. I cannot say for sure what the two loops held but they have the same purpose as those on the marksman badge, namely a supporting qualification. In the case of the son in service badge, I would guess that the suspended bar may have had a year or a branch of service ie., army, navy. a badge collector could confirm this for you.

kind regards, keep up the good work.

khaki

There is a US-based forum, called appropriately enough the US Militaria Forum, that does precisely this.

US Militaria Forum

Maybe this site needs a spot specifcally for displays, etc.? I would love to see that here for all Great War Militaria.

-Daniel

What a great idea. Just had a look at the link Daniel provided. Some of those blokes have very understanding wives. I have a study with all my stuff in it, nowhere else in the house. Some of them have their own buildings. Just incredible.

Cheers Andy.

Some of those blokes have very understanding wives.

Cheers Andy.

You've got that right! Especially they guy who built a life-sized, fully kitted trench in his basement!

:blink:

-Daniel

Some of the finest displays of military are never seen by the public, not because they area hidden away on military bases ( of which some are) ,but because they are in private collections. On this site we get occasional glimpses of displays that show enormous talent and taste. What I would love to see on this forum is a sub/forum of how collectors present their items that are displayed for personal pleasure. The 'tricks of the trade' ' in showing off items to their best advantage I find fascinating, I would rather see one medal, badge photo, etc displayed well than a box full that are just stored.

Sorry I am rambling a bit, trying to recover from surgery, what I am trying to say is, without compromising personal security would members be prepared to share their talent with the rest of us?

How does everone else feel??

khaki

great idea, attaching a few of my collection

post-55705-034211100 1279347416.jpgpost-55705-014306500 1279347426.jpgpost-55705-071881900 1279347442.jpg more to follow

post-55705-072020800 1279347607.jpgpost-55705-082665300 1279347616.jpgpost-55705-004041100 1279347626.jpg

having trouble compressing, a few more to follow

Bob R.

post-55705-034439400 1279347717.jpgpost-55705-034959500 1279347729.jpgpost-55705-024209600 1279347748.jpg

nothing ventured nothing gained

I'm sure your collection was appreciated by others

regards

Bob R.

Great display Bob, enjoyed the structured use of display cases and lighting, showing everything to its best advantage, I have to agree with your comments about the Guards display I hope its stll available to be seen, if not, I hope it can be posted again, how about it 'grumpy' , come on guy's what about those that have framed G'dad and his medals or some relic cartridge cases. My son recently gave me a set of coins and a postage stamp of the G,W. I could hardly wait to get it into a frame and on the wall. Have to get him to teach me how to post photgraphs.

Remember if your display gives you pleasure, it probably will for others to.

khaki

Khaki,

A number of members here are also members of the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum where there is an Albums feature showing members collections ( although obviously covering a large time period and not just WW1 )

It might of interest to you if you like looking at others collections

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php

P.B.

when I put my Guards collection up it met with scant response.

The idea will never catch on.

Perhaps I should have said so at the time but I thought it was well done.

-Daniel

is there a link to view your previous posting of your collection?? would be interested to see it

Regards

Bob R.

I am grateful to all those who have taken the time to share there collections of what ever size or subject. So come on, let's see them.

Cheers and thanks

I am grateful to all those who have taken the time to share there collections of what ever size or subject. So come on, let's see them.

Cheers and thanks

picked up these frames from stamp dealer(in Calgary Canada) who took them for trade

George Brodie Cranston died 9 Apr. 1917 and is buried in 9 Elms Cemetery, Thelus France, I believe the other frame may be brother?? have not researched the name. I paid a visit to his grave site & took the attached grave photo.

Bob R.

post-55705-092223600 1279593304.jpgpost-55705-026603500 1279593322.jpg

post-55705-000759200 1279593451.jpgpost-55705-032861000 1279593460.jpg

picked up these frames from stamp dealer(in Calgary Canada) who took them for trade

George Brodie Cranston died 9 Apr. 1917 and is buried in 9 Elms Cemetery, Thelus France, I believe the other frame may be brother?? have not researched the name. I paid a visit to his grave site & took the attached grave photo.

Bob R.

post-55705-092223600 1279593304.jpgpost-55705-026603500 1279593322.jpg

post-55705-003909100 1279593532.jpg

would appreciate if someone could confirm if the two were related & how

Thanks

Bob R.