Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yser tower, Talbot House, Zonnebeke Museum

gem22

On my latest visit to the Salient I made a point of visiting the Yser Tower, Talbot House, Zonnebeke Museum and Kroonard Woods (Bayerwald).

Though few of the people who were involved in setting up the exhibitions, or re-doing the trenches, are likely to read this, I would like to thank each and every person concerned.

I had a really good time looking around each site and I was impresssed with the amount of effort that had been put into producing each one.

The new layout at Talbot House was particularly interesting; but I have always found the place inspiring.

Even the drive into Kemmel to learn the code for the padlock on the gate at Bayerwald proved far less irksome than some would have you believe. The fact that the town had a 'sweet fair' on at the time simply added a bit of fun to the visit.

I was accompanied for two days by an Australian couple whom my wife and I met at Varlet Farm. It was their first visit and it made for a really good weekend acting as an unofficial, unpaid, battlefield guide.

Seriously folks if you haven't seen these sites then make the effort; they are well worth the time.

Garth

nice to hear a positive note too!

that "sweet fair" was something else its quite amazing how many people turn out for things like that here in Belgium, I love this place !

Garth - my husband, myself and my baby son were at Varlet Farm Friday night - was that when you were there?

Talbot House was excellent and a credit to the curators - it was full of English school children coach parties - they did seem respectful.

We went to Zonnebeke too - also excellent. I found the trench area very good (I was actually very scared in it - I didn't realise before then that I don't like the dark!) but it gave me a very good idea (or rather a very slight idea - if you see what I mean) as to the terrible conditions the soldiers endured.

Kate

Kate

Not guilty :D We didn't arrive till Saturday but the Aussies we met would have been there on Friday.

I agree with you about Zonnebeke tho' we had a less pleasing experience with school children. Those that hurtled past us saw very little of what I felt was an excellent exhibition.

Garth

Nice to hear you like it.

There is a lot of work in it; so it is nice to hear that.