Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stray pages found in service records

CarylW

Has anyone ever started a thread where members can contribute details found on stray pages in service records? I've come across a page now and then in service records that obviously doesn't belong in that record.

Just the odd page with a different name to the person whose record it is in. Anyone researching that particular soldier would not be aware of it's existence and it may be the only document of service that has survived.

Edit: Replies indicate there isn't an existing thread, so please post details of any stray pages found in this thread.

Caryl

Caryl,

I don't think there is such a thread. I think it is an excellent idea, like you I often come across stray pages which will never be found other than by accident.

John

The only other thread that is running, I believe, is Casualty Lists found in 'Other'. Go for it!

That's a brilliant idea Caryl and one of the reasons I am a member of the Forum. My grandfather's Service Records are missing. ASC-Arthur William Hanstock-M2/183692.

Peridot

One page I found was inbetween service records for Charles Alfred Rix 429089 - 4262 Norfolk Reg.and 87354 Labour Corps Charles Edgar Rix

Can also be found going back one image at the start of Charles Edgar Rix service record

Not much, just one sheet with the following details:

Labour Corps No. 87355 Cover for documents G A Rowley Army Form W 3091

Caryl

Good idea.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71192&st=0&p=642704&fromsearch=1entry642704

Since that time I have seen dozens, if not hundreds. I have made a note on my data sheets, but from my first posting I got the impression that nobody else was interested. Perhaps you will now see many being posted.

Good luck.

Kevin

Not a misplaced document, but one that refers to another man. The paper can be found in Pte. 9336 RWF James Bayley's service papers.

The other man is Pte, 1021, J.H. Jones, 5th Bn. RWF. The paper states that Pte. Jones committed suicide, in the ablution shed, on October 28th 1916. The death occured at Park Hall Camp.

Neil

The following Service Record is available on Ancestry -

Name: Hugh Tiernan

Regimental Number: 3155

Regiment Name: The Connaught Rangers

Number of Images: 42

The first 10 pages are indeed Service Records of Hugh Tiernan 3155 (and 4429) Connaught Rangers. The rest of the pages are from the service record of 205792 Driver John Tiernan, 886th Battery RFA. The pages mainly involve details of his Court Martial for Desertion and "Losing by neglect his clothing and regimental necessaries."

John

Hi Caryl

I am not sure if it was on forum or the Long Long Trail but I think Chris Baker started somethink like this ?

Annette

Annette,

I recall over a year ago Chirs Baker mentioned doing this, but i don't think anything came of it.

Nei

Now that this is up and running lets keep it going. I can see it becoming a very valuable resource in future.

Well done Caryl!

John

The Service Record for Augustine Hamilton-Paulley 469/620205 contains:

Punishment Records of 612283 Joseph E. Brown, enlisted 09-04-15

The Service Record for Albert Davis 522/620224 contains:

Medical notes for Leonard Smith, born Nottingham, ASC T/2 SR/02512 (667 Corps)

(Scottish National Red Cross Hospital, Glasgow "Sprained Left Ankle" 09-11-17 to 01-01-18)

The Service Record of Frederick Bernard Sheldon 640/620323 contains sheets from:

926335 Arthur Bertram Wells D/82nd Bde RFA

26828 Cpl Albert Lewis ASC

The Service Record of Edward Major Groves 658/620341 contains sheets from:

Thomas Fletcher Barrow SR/02563, 27th L of C. Supply Co. RASC

Good luck, and I hope this attempt at collating information lasts longer than a couple of others. If it does take off, the entries are going to need to be sorted out so they aren't a mish-mash. The UK hospitals thread is impressively large but it's almost impossible to abstract details from it of a particular hospital.

Moonraker

Thought of that Moonraker and may organise the names of those found in a similar way to Bernards method in the War Diary Look up thread.

Once we reach the end of a page I'll copy and paste the names into the first post and then if it carries on will have an updating post now and then quoting the post # so that anyone interested can see the details of where they were found

Thanks everyone who has posted

In the middle of a 59 page, badly burnt at the top, service record of 8511 Acting sgt. James Charles Bashford Cheshire Regt. 10th Bn. KIA 19th July 1917 (Prior to Great War in regular army since 1907, 2nd Cheshire Regt. India. While there admitted to hospital with Malaria) there are 4 pages (image 440, 441, 442, 443), that appear to belong to someone else who died of dysentery in 1912 at the section hospital Jubbalpore India, 10th April 1912 a private in the Cheshire Regiment. There is a rather gruesome description of his PM

On one of the following pages In faint handwriting next to the 'next of kin' is a first name Thomas.....153 Conway street Birkenhead, which is an address not associated with James Bashford whose own family lived in London, apart from his wife who lived in Birkenhead but not known to be at that address

A search of the 1911 Census for that address in Birkenhead reveals a BARKER, Thomas Head Married M 61 1850 Railway Labourer Derby Peters Parish and BARKER, Mary Ann Wife Married F 61 1850 Wife Sussex Cumnor RA

A search of the GRO Army Death Overseas Indices on Findmypast for Barker 1912 brings up Benjamin Barker age 23 died 1912 Jubbalpore page 232

So without jumping to conclusions, the odd pages found could belong to a Benjamin Barker Cheshire Regt, from Birkenhead who died in 1912 in India. I'll leave it up to anyone who my be researching him to find out more and prove or disprove. I have the images for those who don't have access to Ancestry

Caryl

Also found this partial casualty list towards the end of the service record of Harry Barlow 49431 10th Bn. Cheshire Regiment KIA 17/02/17

No connection that I can see - Harry's attestation wasn't approved until 1916 and he wasn't in France until later that year! (Already posted this somewhere and Diane added it to her casualty database)

Obviously slipped in by mistake, but might be of interest to anyone researching any of the men named

List No. H. 1244 (Contd.) Army Service Corps (Contd.)

T2/016838. Dvr. Coulson. S. 372 Coy. A.S.C. Influenza Slt. Adm. G.H. Boulogne. 4th Sept. 1915

047580 Pte. Lines. C.M. 318 Coy. MT. A.S.C. V.D.H. Chron. To Eng. ex 11 G.H. Boulogne 4th Sept:15

SS/747 Pte. Logan. G. 14 Supply Dept. A.S.C. Impulsive Insanity Do. (Edit: Ditto, same as above?)

14378 Lab. Chubb. T. 17 Lab. Coy. Do. Diarrhoea Slt. to C.C. ex 11 G.H. Boulogne 4th Sept. 1915

048515 Dr. Saunders F.H. A.S.C.M.T. "B" Sect. G.H. Qrs. L. of C. Rheumatism Slt. Adm. 13 S.H. Boulogne 2nd. Sept 1915

Caryl

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a random sheet in my Grandfather's records which doesn't belong there. It's a record of the Promotion of 15 men.

I don't subscribe to ancestry so I can't look them up but I believe they would all have been with the Engineers at Sandwich since my GF was transferred there shortly before the dates shown. I don't know the significance of the fourth column ("No. 1" etc.) and the sixth column (**) is hard to read and could be "es". I can't guarantee the spelling of some of the names either.

6. PROMOTIONS

150699 A/Cpl Ramsey No. 1. Appointed A/Sergt ** from 10.4.17

126282 A/2/Cpl Dunkarley " Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

126207 A/L/Cpl Excoll No. 2. Appointed A/2/Cpl " " 17.4.17

169018 A/2/Cpl Scoffield No. 3. Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

174817 A/2/Cpl Haso No. 4. Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

151689 Spr Wade " Appointed A/L/Cpl " " 18.4.17

172908 A/2/Cpl Overton No. 5. Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

174810 A/2/Cpl Foulds " Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

150495 A/2/Cpl Jago No. 6. Appointed A/Corpl " " 17.4.17

173133 A/L/Cpl Rowe No. 7. Appointed A/2/Cpl " " 18.4.17

213753 Spr Morton No. 8. Appointed A/L/Cpl " " 17.4.17

126031 A/L/Cpl Lewis No. 9. Appointed A/2/Cpl " " 17.4.17

173155 Spr Thomas " Appointed A/ /Cpl " " 17.4.17

201059 A/L/Cpl Sterling No. 10 Appointed A/ /Cpl " " 17.4.17

150947 Spr Endacott No. 11 Appointed A/ /Cpl " " 17.4.17

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone. At the same time, If anyone has any information about these men, especially their unit and what it did, I'd be very interested.

Thanks in advance,

Sorry about the poor column layout, it looked fine in the original.

William Traill

Born Colinton , Enlisted Juniper Green SDITGW gives KIA

Killed accidentally by his own riflegrenade which failed to launch from the rifle and exploded still attached – occurred at Fosseaux Bombing range.

His pension file gives statements from his whole platoon of 13th Royal Scots in January 1918.

Aye

Malcolm

• 1 month later...

In Ancestry Service Records - 9508 Frank Keith, ASC, number of images 3, is in fact a one page Attestation of Frank Parkinson, ASC, and what appears to be number 9508.

John

• 2 months later...

Just in the off chance that someone may looking for records for Pte John McGowan (3864)325874 of The 9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders KIA-22/07/1917 You will find them in with the records of Pte James Sim 2699 2nd Royal Scots D.O.D-28/07/1915.

Yes I know I have too much time on my hands.

Gary.

So just because a service record cannot be located online, the service record(or part ot the record) of other individuals could still be seen.Excellent news!

That gives me hope that the service record of Pte. Hugh HIGNEY may still be in existence! Hooray!! :thumbsup:

The following Service Record is available on Ancestry -

Name: Hugh Tiernan

Regimental Number: 3155

Regiment Name: The Connaught Rangers

Number of Images: 42

The first 10 pages are indeed Service Records of Hugh Tiernan 3155 (and 4429) Connaught Rangers. The rest of the pages are from the service record of 205792 Driver John Tiernan, 886th Battery RFA. The pages mainly involve details of his Court Martial for Desertion and "Losing by neglect his clothing and regimental necessaries."

John

Whilst Ive been searching the ancestry files of the burnt and unburnt records, I've found numerous instances where the NEW SOLDIER page has not been inserted, most records seem to start at the first page a mans name appears on, also going back from the first page can reveal umpteen records belonging to the man your after, I even came across one record where 5 different mens papers were in one file in the space of 11 papers.

I always report the fault to ancestry.

Retlaw

Retlaw

I have seen such instances in the past too but have not reported them,mainly because I have no idea where precisely I should do that. I would be interested to hear if any of the items you have reported have been re-indexed. Now THAT would encourage me to report them.

Caryl

I commend your idea. Is there a mechanism which can be pursued that puts the onus on Ancestry UK to make the amendments within the Military Records rather than making a supplementary list here ? I am happy to report any future findings to you but the amount of work you are volunteering for should not be underestimated.

Sotonmate

Retlaw

I have seen such instances in the past too but have not reported them,mainly because I have no idea where precisely I should do that. I would be interested to hear if any of the items you have reported have been re-indexed. Now THAT would encourage me to report them.

Caryl

I commend your idea. Is there a mechanism which can be pursued that puts the onus on Ancestry UK to make the amendments within the Military Records rather than making a supplementary list here ? I am happy to report any future findings to you but the amount of work you are volunteering for should not be underestimated.

Sotonmate

When you click on a mans name, a page opens which gives you a choice to view original record.

On the left is a list of things you can do, add alternative information, report image problem.

click on one of those and submit your information.

Retlaw.

Retlaw

Thanks for that,I should have noticed ! I will give it a try and see what happens.

Sotonmate