Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lesley Smith VAD

CGM

I have a copy of Lesley Smith's book FOUR YEARS OUT OF LIFE which was published in 1931.

The information I've gleaned from her book is that she was 23 in 1914, living in Scotland and enjoying a life of tennis parties, garden parties, weddings and dances. In the October of that year, when she heard about the death in action of several boys from her social circle, she decided she must help the war effort and went to work as a probationer in a UK hospital. She was called up by the War Office on 8th November 1915.

Her first posting was about one hour's drive by ambulance from Boulogne harbour and described as 129. After about three and a half years of living through everything nursing in France meant she was demobilised in March 1919.

She is called Nurse Kay, in her book.

The book finishes "Well, Kay, I suppose you're going to settle down at home now and buy clothes and do the flowers for mother?"

I did not answer for a moment, but as I knew of no alternative, I could only shrug and say: "I suppose so."

I've tried to find out something of her background and her life after the war but haven't been successful. I wonder if anyone can help.

Regards

CGM

I have copies of the two IWM sheets about VADs:

No. 40: Guidance on tracing VAD personnel

No. 361: Recommended reading list (which includes this book)

and I will be following up the advice I've found, but I suspect it won't include any home or family background.

Regards

CGM

The only thing I can add, which might be some tiny help with tracing a 'Smith' is that she had a middle name, and was Lesley Nora Smith. The information comes from the BRCS Register of Overseas Volunteers.

Sue

Thank you very much Sue. Yes, Smith is a difficult name to research, isn't it.

Because her book was published in 1931 I wondered if Smith could even have been her married surname, but would the BRCS register have been written at the time she was serving?

CGM

Yes, it was first published in 1918, with some reprints after that, but I feel sure that would be her maiden name. The married women are prefaced with 'Mrs.' which she doesn't have.

Sue

Thank you very much Sue. I have managed a big step forward, because of your help!

Lesley dedicated the book to her sister Lorna Rea and knowing that Smith was the family surname has lead me to confirming exactly who her (married) sister was.

Lorna Rea was Mrs. Philip Russel Rea and an author herself. I have confirmed the connection because Lesley produced her own woodcut illustrations for her book and in 1932 Lorna Rea published THE HAPPY PRISONER which was illustrated with wood engravings by Lesley N. Smith.

Now I have a family to research.

Thank you again,

CGM

I have found some more about Lesley's sister Lorna, well about her husband, HERE

CGM

Edited to add there are portraits of Lorna at the National Portrait Gallery.

Now I must return to researching Lesley, as she is my real interest.

• 7 years later...
On 7/14/2010 at 20:04, CGM said:

I have a copy of Lesley Smith's book FOUR YEARS OUT OF LIFE which was published in 1931.

The information I've gleaned from her book is that she was 23 in 1914, living in Scotland and enjoying a life of tennis parties, garden parties, weddings and dances. In the October of that year, when she heard about the death in action of several boys from her social circle, she decided she must help the war effort and went to work as a probationer in a UK hospital. She was called up by the War Office on 8th November 1915.

Her first posting was about one hour's drive by ambulance from Boulogne harbour and described as 129. After about three and a half years of living through everything nursing in France meant she was demobilised in March 1919.

She is called Nurse Kay, in her book.

The book finishes "Well, Kay, I suppose you're going to settle down at home now and buy clothes and do the flowers for mother?"

I did not answer for a moment, but as I knew of no alternative, I could only shrug and say: "I suppose so."

I've tried to find out something of her background and her life after the war but haven't been successful. I wonder if anyone can help.

Regards

CGM

I’m doing some research on Lesley Smith, and is there any way I could get more information from her book? I’m reall interested