Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portadown War Memorial - Royal Irish Fusiliers

Nickmetcalfe

All,

I need the help of the forum. In my research into the 9th Irish Fusiliers I have managed to identify one non-commemoration (now on the Thiepval Memorial Addenda Panel) and I think there might be two others. I have tried all the usual suspects but I have been unable to confirm their dates of death or cause. Both men are commemorated on the Portadown War memorial in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. Here's what I have on each:

CORKIN Lance Corporal Samuel Joseph 23876. From Jervis St, Portadown, County Armagh. Enlisted 24 January 1916. B Company. Wounded near the River Douve in the right leg by an explosive bullet 11 August 1916. Returned home October 1916. Discharged 14 November 1916. Silver War Badge (number not known). Subsequently died. Commemorated on Portadown War Memorial.

PENTLAND Private Richard John 14615. Born 1889. A linen weaver from Portadown, County Armagh. Married Sarah Jane Allen 28 October 1910. Signed the Ulster Covenant 28 September 1912. B Company. Wounded in the right arm at Hamel 1 July 1916. Wounded at the Battle of Langemarck 16 August 1917 when shot in the chest. Discharged 24 July 1918, aged 28. Silver War Badge, number 379057. 1914-15 Star. Subsequently died. Commemorated on Portadown War Memorial.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Nick

Nick

Richard Pentland is buried in Seagoe Cemetery in what appears to be the Pentland family plot. Date of death on the family headstone for Richard is given as 30th March 1923. In 1911 census on daughter Mary Jane is recorded. He had three sons, Alec, Billy and Richard. According to the family headstone Alec died on 13th March 1923, Billy died on 5th Jan 1933 and Richard (Junior) on 13th March 1992, predeceased by his wife Edna who died on 10th Oct 1990. The only way to confirm the actual cause of death for Richard would be by obtaining a copy of his death certificate from the GRO in Chichester Street, Belfast, and I think this can be done on-line. As he is buried in Seagoe cemetery across the road from Seagoe parish church he could have been a member.

Can't give you anything more than you already have on Samuel Corkin.

Neither of the two are listed on Seagoe War Memorial, which take the form of church pillars at the entrance gates to the church drive.

Hope some of this is some use to you, regards, Tommy.

With a death in 1923 Pentland's after the CWGC cut-off of 31 August 1921.

Tommy,

Many thanks for the detailed reply - it's great to get a date of death. It would seem, therefore, that the community was persuaded to include him on the town war memorial even though his death was after the cutoff for official recognition. The Seagoe Memorial was dedicated on 19 June 1921, so it makes sense that he was not included there. I had hoped to avoid paying GRO for the death certificate! Thanks again.

David - thanks.

Nick

Nick

It is my experience from researching names on many of my local memorilas that the "official cut off date for recognition" used by CWGC meant little or nothing to those tasked with compiling a list of names for inclusion. It also depended on any criteria (if indeed any) that was agreed, the date the list was compiled, the date the memorial was actually being erected, did the family members want their loved ones name on a memorial, some mothers never accepted the loss, etc, etc. I have one soldier who died from natural causes before he left Ireland but was included on the war memorial as a mark of respect. I also have on name recorded whose owner actually survived the war and on occasion used to take his young son to see his dads name amongst those listed as "The Fallen."

If you have an interest in 9th RIF you might want to have a look at another name on Portadown War Memorial , Thomas H Best, Montague Street, as according to James Kane's excellent book, Portadown Heroes, he was also 9 RIF, wounded on 1st July and could well also be a possible non-commemorated?

Good luck with your research, regards, Tommy.

Tommy,

Thanks for the pointer on Thomas Best. The only Thomas Best that I have a record of (who was from Portadown and wounded on 1 July) was discharged to Class Z Reserve 25 February 1919, which implies fitness for further duty. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with. I know what you mean about memorials! Having said that, with nearly 3,500 men in my database I've been very impressed with the general accuracy of the pen and paper driven bureaucracy of the British Isles in the early 20thC.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Nick

All,

Now that the VNC seems to be back (well done to whoever sorted that out), I thought I'd bump this thread and ask again for the forum's help. See the first post. Thanks...

Nick

• 9 years later...

Samuel Joseph Corkin apparently died on 20 May 1924 which would rule him out as a non-com:

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.8c5dc7cb652e37fe819030c37e3c8170.jpg

Couldn't find anything on Thomas H Best.