Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George William Moxon

I would be interested to find out about the circumstances under which Serjeant George William Moxon, 420352, 10th Battn London Regiment was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre. I have a family connection to him on my mother's side. The story in the family is that he was awarded it for rescuing a wounded Belgian officer from no man's land. I don't know where or when this happened. I know that he was killed in action on 13th March 1918 probably by a sniper. I was also told that his brother Tom had to bury the body. Tom later married one of my mother's elder sisters - hence the family connection.

Is it possible to find out more?

Thanks,

Ray Hooper

Ray,

I made some enquiries some time ago regarding a man I knew who was awarded the Belgian C. de. G. I wrote to the following adress, kindly given to me by one of our Belgian friends on the forum. Did not get very far as they wrote back saying they could give me the details if I gave them the date of the award, which is what I wanted to know.

"Armed Forces Defence Staff,

Personel Division,

Central Military Registration Office,

t.a.v. J-P Deneubourg,

Quartier Reine Elisabeth,

Rue d' Evere, 1140 Brussels.

Best of luck, Cliff.

• 14 years later...

Hi Ray,

George William Moxon was my Great Uncle, my grandmother's brother and I would be interested to know any information you have on him.

On clearing out my parents' house I came across his death penny and citation and the Belgian Croix de Guerre medal.

Kind regards,

Mike Fryer

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Unless Ray Hooper has signed on with a different user name, I suspect it will be difficult to get his attention. His last post seems to have been around 2009.

Here is a note of some info on Moxon from genealogy sites, excluding the CWGC and SDGW references to his death :

George William Moxon

Sgt 420352 London Regt  Belgian Croix de Guerre 1st Class  LondonGazette 12/7/18  p8181

Sgt 420352 London Regt   wounded CasList published 6/11/17 (suggests actual wounding about 4 weeks earlier)

Sgt 420352  10 LondR     1(a) France  5/2/17-13/3/18      ( this ties in with landing in France of the 2/10th Battalion)

Sgt 420352  10 lond Rgt  Effects- kia, War Grat 20-00-00 (gives enlistment Aug 1914),  Benef Father- Thomas

So clearly someone who signed up (or was already signed up) under an earlier service number at the start of the war but didn't go abroad until 1917. The fact that he was wounded  in Oct 1917 may have some connection to him earning the CdG.

Next step would be to see if there is any mention in the War Diary for the Battalion or even at Brigade level.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

The CWGC Grave Registration Report confirms he was 2/10th Bn when he died. Also killed that day was Sgt Knell of the same Bn.   Both were aged 23.

The War Diary for the unit is here on Ancestry.

This extract, dated 12th,may be Moxon and Knell are the 2 OR deaths?

1402348470_MoxonGWHackneyWarDiaryextract.JPG.dfeaba5be6516e98b0e3c39475fc98ff.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962