Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

X14 Trench Mortar Battery RGA

Woodsc

Hi

Can any please give any information regarding the X14 Trench Mortar Battery RGA ~ the soldier (Bombr Henry Price 56592) I am trying to research served in this battery in 1916 ~ He won the MM sometime before 27th October 1916 when it was documented in the London Gazette

I need educating as to where the battery was located during this time ~ related information as to which division it served under etc ~ I am trying to locate at the National Archive the relevant war diaries to see if there is any reference to his MM being award but I'm struggling

Hope you can help

Colin

Colin, the title answers itself I believe. X14 was a medium battery of the 14th division

according to LLT Delville Wood and Flers Courcelette were the main 14th div actions in this period of 1916

Colin, the title answers itself I believe. X14 was a medium battery of the 14th division

according to LLT Delville Wood and Flers Courcelette were the main 14th div actions in this period of 1916

Hi Jonathan

You beat me to it ~ I too have just looked the LLT where it makes reference to medium trench mortar batteries within divisions and states 'most Divisions had three Medium Batteries, designated X, Y and Z' and yes it looks like my guy won his MM during the battle of the Somme in one of the battles you have listed (probably the latter) ???

Thanks for your reply ~ I'll have another go at the war diaries now

Colin

Hello Colin

One small point: medium TM batteries were units of the RFA, not the RGA. Heavy TM batteries were RGA and the one with 14 Div was V.14. It is still possible that an RGA man might have been attached to a medium battery - there was no separate "Trench Mortar Corps" - and in any event X.14, Y.14 and Z.14 medium batts and V.14 heavy batt were all in 14 Div and likely to have been involved in the same actions in 1916.

Ron

Hello Colin

One small point: medium TM batteries were units of the RFA, not the RGA. Heavy TM batteries were RGA and the one with 14 Div was V.14. It is still possible that an RGA man might have been attached to a medium battery - there was no separate "Trench Mortar Corps" - and in any event X.14, Y.14 and Z.14 medium batts and V.14 heavy batt were all in 14 Div and likely to have been involved in the same actions in 1916.

Ron

Hi Ron

The only information I'm working on relates to a plaque on a clock which was presented to the soldier ~ reads as follows

Presented to

Bom H Price

56592. X14 Trench Mortar Battery RGA

By the Public of Wallsend

on being awarded the the Mil Med

I am currently trying to identify what the local newspaper was in Wallsend in 1916 as there may be some reference to the award and possibly a photograph which would be great

Thanks for your reply

Colin

Colin,

Do you have his records? It certainly isn't clear when he was awarded the MM, but he joined X.14 TMB on the 10-3-1916 until he was sent to the RGA base on the 25-7-1916. He left for home for munition work on the 28-7-1916. It is not clear when or if he returned to service. He was certainly living at home on the 9-8-1916.

The diary you need, I think, is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

Many, many RGA gunners served with the medium trench mortar batteries, even if they came under the command of the RFA.

Kevin

Colin,

Do you have his records? It certainly isn't clear when he was awarded the MM, but he joined X.14 TMB on the 10-3-1916 until he was sent to the RGA base on the 25-7-1916. He left for home for munition work on the 28-7-1916. It is not clear when or if he returned to service. He was certainly living at home on the 9-8-1916.

The diary you need, I think, is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

Many, many RGA gunners served with the medium trench batteries, even if they came under the command of the RFA.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply ~ I have a copy of his Report of Enlistment but I am unable to see/read the information you have referenced ~ the copy I have is not very ligible in areas ~ I can just see where he is posted 10/03/1916 all information below is blurred ~ its interesting he is still at home ~ presume the best option is to try and get a copy of the war diaries for 1916 and see if there any refeerences relating to the MM

Do you know if you can request a specific period of the war diary and can the NA send by e mail ???

Colin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply ~ I have a copy of his Report of Enlistment but I am unable to see/read the information you have referenced ~ the copy I have is not very ligible in areas ~ I can just see where he is posted 10/03/1916 all information below is blurred ~ its interesting he is still at home ~ presume the best option is to try and get a copy of the war diaries for 1916 and see if there any refeerences relating to the MM

Do you know if you can request a specific period of the war diary and can the NA send by e mail ???

Colin

Hi Kevin

Just an after thought ~ we are looking at the same service records ~ my man is 37 years old and has a wife Mary Ellen according to my Report of Enlistment

Colin

Colin,

If you down loaded his records from Ancestry you will find that they take you to about midway in his records; you have to go forwards and backwards to see them all. Unusually there doesn't appear to be any mention of his MM, except the receipt of delivery. Some of the other papers relate to where he was working.

I believe you can ask for a quotation from the NA, but may be expensive depending on how many pages that need copying. I would obviously be looking at the months March to July first.

Kevin

Colin,

If you down loaded his records from Ancestry you will find that they take you to about midway in his records; you have to go forwards and backwards to see them all. Unusually there doesn't appear to be any mention of his MM, except the receipt of delivery. Some of the other papers relate to where he was working.

I believe you can ask for a quotation from the NA, but may be expensive depending on how many pages that need copying. I would obviously be looking at the months March to July first.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the information/guidance ~ I obviously don't have all his service records

Colin