Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards

I am trying to follow the movments of my grandfathers reg. the 4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards. The 4th ('C' Company) were involved in the 1st shot fired by the B.E.F. at Mons. Whether by my grandfathers company I do not know. Any Info --books, web-sites etc.

Cheers!

Well, this website wouldn't be a bad place to start. Click on the Long, Long Trail link (top left of this page). Navigate your way to the regiment, by clicking on "Tommies" then "The Cavalry" then "Dragoon Guards". You can then trace where they were in the organisational structure, and the actions in which they were involved.

Guest MaryFM

Hi

If your look on Amazon.co.uk website you will find 3 books on The Royal Irish Dragoon Guards or keep an eye out on Ebay.co.uk.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Mary

Try Brereton's History of the 4th/7th Royal Draggon Guards which covers the FFW

Thanks folks. Have the 'order of battle' from this site Chris but after first engagement at Mons no more mention is made. Going over in November again so try to visit some of the places near Albert.

Never gave Amazon a thought Mary brain not working all the time. Could be what Im after.

Thanks again folks.

Cheers!

Guest MaryFM

Hi again

You could also try Naval & Military-Press.co.uk I have bought books off them but sometimes their link seems to have gremlins and it tells me the file cannot be found but eventually it will come back.

I have bought most of my books off Amazon's marketplace and have had some really good prices, what I do is look on Ebay then if I find a book I check with Amazon or Naval & Military for their prices and see which is the better deal.

Good luck with your hunting!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Naval and Military press do an excellent reprint of a potted history of the 4th Dragoon Guards originally printed in 1925 entitled "Record of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards in the Great War 1914-1918" The author is Rev Harrold Gibb. He served with the regiment as a Lieutenant in 1914-15 . The book is 73 pages long and contains such useful things as biographical notes for officers and a casualty list. It can ordered on line at :

www.naval-military-press.com or email them at order.dept@naval-military-press.com

failing that give them a call on 01825 749494

Hope this helps

David

Hello to all, I have been an avid reader of this forum for some time and this is my first post.

ref 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards,

I have in my possesion the three Vols of The Great War, I Was There, Edited By Sir John Hammerton, In Vol 1 there is a story by Sgt E Thomas of the RI Dragoon Guards who claims to have fired the first shot, his story was published in the 1930s and was accepted as true.

Do we know different today?

• 1 month later...
Guest katiepops

Rodwynn, I'm also looking for information about the 4th Dragoon Guards. My Great Uncle (Frank Carr) was in the regiment during WW1.

Kate

Hi Kate

Naval & Military press have the book by Lt. Rev. Harold Gibb called Record of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards in the Great War 1914-1918, alternatively Amazon.co.uk also have it but if you buy from their private sellers which is listed beside their price for the book you may get it sooner and cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Mary

• 1 year later...
Hello to all, I have been an avid reader of this forum for some time and this is my first post.

ref 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards,

I have in my possesion the three Vols of The Great War, I Was There, Edited By Sir John Hammerton, In Vol 1 there is a story by Sgt E Thomas of the RI Dragoon Guards who claims to have fired the first shot, his story was published in the 1930s and was accepted as true.

Do we know different today?

No, this appears to be correct. If you read the book "Tickled to Death to Go" it is the story of a soldier from the same regiment and squadron as E. Thomas and he desrcribes the action as he held the led horses while this encounter took place.