Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air service mechanics of world war I

donna g

My Great Uncle was in World War i. He was in the 9th Company 3rd Air Service Mechanics Regiment, AEF. He served overseas from June, 1918 to July 1919. What I am trying to find is an article or book that talks about the Air Mechanics. There is a lot about the men who flew the planes but can find nothing on those that serviced these early machines. If any one has any advice or actual books to read, would appreciate the help.

I am new to forum. But several persons in this forum helped me in the past to locate the Military History of this Great Uncle. So I want to thank those who helped before. dng

My Great Uncle was in World War i. He was in the 9th Company 3rd Air Service Mechanics Regiment, AEF. He served overseas from June, 1918 to July 1919. What I am trying to find is an article or book that talks about the Air Mechanics. There is a lot about the men who flew the planes but can find nothing on those that serviced these early machines. If any one has any advice or actual books to read, would appreciate the help.

I am new to forum. But several persons in this forum helped me in the past to locate the Military History of this Great Uncle. So I want to thank those who helped before. dng

A good one I found was "From the Ground Up - A History of RAF Ground Crew" by F J Adkin. The ISBN number is 0 906393 21 3

Starlight

Hi DNG - welcome

There are about 30 pages covering aspects of this (p162-198) in Toumlin, H.A. 1927 Air Service American Expeditionary Force 1918. This was reprinted in limited numbers by Battery Press (Nashville, 2004 ISBN 0-89839-331-0)

for a broader overview - Thayer, Lucien H. "America's First Eagles. The Official History of the the US Air Service AEF 1917-18 (1983) ISBN 0-912138-24-6 has some detail (mostly supply issues but touching on maintenance)

and most detailed - but you will have to hunt is the summary of the Gorrell files published in 4 volumes edited by Mauer Mauer as "The US Air Service in WWI" (US Govt Printing Office 1978) has all sorts of material but you really have to search through it... Lots of it is made up of reports written in 1919/20 and there are undoubtedly some dealing with maintainance etc

I do not know of any "first had accounts" of mechanics if that is what you are looking for but a good number of pilot accounts spend a lot of time praising their mechanics and ground crew in my limited experience

Hope this helps a bit.

Do you know where he served? this might allow you to fill in a few blanks.

Chris

Keep in mind that the division between "air and "ground" crew was not rigid in WWI.

Keep in mind that the division between "air and "ground" crew was not rigid in WWI.

This is very true. However I think it might have been more rigid in US Service than RAF, there was a separate Dept within the USAS organization (hence spearate reports etc). That being said, in a USAS squadron I have looked at Crew Chief's always flew in the second seat when squadrons were transferring from station to station (Observers rode in lorries!) and frequently flew with them on test flights. A pilot I have some letters from wryly remarked he quite liked this as it ensured the crew chief kept on his toes...because he knew those toes would also be in the a/c! (This was siad jokingly - the pilot had a high degree of respect for his mechanics)

Chris

A good one I found was "From the Ground Up - A History of RAF Ground Crew" by F J Adkin. The ISBN number is 0 906393 21 3

Starlight

A liitle more information about this book. Though the author writes about ground crews from the age of Balloons right up until WW2, more than 100 pages deal with the activities of the various trades (fitter, rigger, armourer, sailmaker, carpenter, wireless mechanic et al) during the Great War. He has also included many quotes from ground crew who served in WW1 as well as many fascinating photos. A book well worth buying to give you a real feel as to what went on on the ground to keep the aircraft in the air.

This might be going off on something of a tangent, as it's about the AFC in Palestine, rather one of the larger services on the Western Front, but a good read about the activities of ground crew is One Airman's War - Aircraft Mechanic Joe Bull's Personal Diaries 1916-1919, edited by Mark Lax, ISBN 1 875593 16 0.

Gareth

Thanks to all for books. I will try to find them. What does number mean after book? I usually try my library first. If they don't have a book they see who in my area does and try to get it on loan. I have gotten several hard to find books that way.

I have some details on my Great Uncle. Know he went over to France but need to find out more. Also know he was gassed. My Mom told me that and said that his health was never good after that. He owned a moving business for years. I was told he serviced his own trucks. He also was a vegetable farmer for many years.

Thanks again for information. dng

I think ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number.

• 2 months later...

DNG,

You might want to post an inquiry over at www.theaerodrome.com . Very knowledgeable people there, and many in the U.S.A.

The forgotten ones; the story of the ground crews by Philip Joubert de la Ferte covers First World War ground crew.

MM

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got copy of pay voucher and letter from National Personnel Records Center on my Great Uncle, Matthew Cornetta. He was at Mitchell Field, Long Island, New York. It shows he was with 463rd Aero Squadron,A.S.A.

The letter further stated his other records were destroyed in the fire of 1973. The only award they said they knew he should have was the World War I Victory Medal (Bronze). I googled this medal and there seem to be ones with different ribbons. Just wondered if any one on forum knows about medal and what ribbons mean. Thanks.

I finally got copy of pay voucher and letter from National Personnel Records Center on my Great Uncle, Matthew Cornetta. He was at Mitchell Field, Long Island, New York. It shows he was with 463rd Aero Squadron,A.S.A.

The letter further stated his other records were destroyed in the fire of 1973. The only award they said they knew he should have was the World War I Victory Medal (Bronze). I googled this medal and there seem to be ones with different ribbons. Just wondered if any one on forum knows about medal and what ribbons mean. Thanks.

The ribbons should all be the same for the WWI victory medal. It is a double rainbow ribbon. A version of this medal was issued by all the victorious Allied powers and although there are variations on a theme in the design of the medal itself, the ribbon was essentially the same. Where the US version differed from all the other nations is that the US issued a large number of "clasps" denoting different theatres of operations /battles.

If you were interested in replacing your Great Uncle's medal they are very widely available on eBay (for example)- both new/unissued recently minted examples and original. Unlike British Victory Medals US medals are un-named so that does not present a problem.

Chris

• 7 years later...

My great uncle was also in the 3rd Regiment Air Service Mechanics.  I have a few pictures.  My great uncle was Clinton Waldemar Anderson, from Michigan and served in this

unit as well.  Thanks for all the great info on books!

Aaron

2121811601_Clingandganginfrontoftent.jpg.ee106d8c192c8e3ab3b73dc3aefb6115.jpgCling.jpg.ddb4eea3449023d57af3e72734b5e3c4.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 03/07/2010 at 06:55, donna g said:

Hello Donna,

Please see my attached story about an Australian 2nd air mechanic from Melbourne who served in England during the Great War.

I hope it is of help.

With regards,

Rod Martin

2nd Air Mechanic James Charles Outhred.pdf

Edited by Rodney Martin
mistyping