Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Caltrop?

hadfield

Hi all,

Again thanks for the thoughts and interest on this, but I don't seem to be any closer to a definitive answer regarding the said item. I don't believe it is a 'fantasy' item, the method of construction, design, material etc would suggest otherwise. Therefore it was made for, I believe, some kind of non-permament, defensive role, those spikes do mean business! But what role, what war? I do enjoy the debate that can ensue with devices etc. such as this one, but not the frustration when a definitve answer proves illusive!

Thanks again,

Brimstone.

Hello, Brimstone -

A number of similar examples of these pieces were on display at the Vauquois craters several years ago. They obviously had been unearthed by members of the Society of Vauquois while digging out the filled-in trenches and tunnels in the French positions on the south side of the hill. I assume that they were French anti-personnel devices to be thrown into unoccupied trenches and tunnels to impede the movement of enemy troops raiding during the night; pieces that could be removed with little trouble during the day when the trenches and tunnels were reoccupied by French forces. This is just a guess on my part and I could easily be wrong, but a number of these "caltrops" (or whatever) definitely were on that site. Perhaps some French members of the GWF that also are members of the Society of Vauquois can verify or refute my assumption.

By the way, I consider the Butte de Vauqois to be one of the most interesting parts of the Western Front that I have visited, and I strongly recommend it to anyone visiting the Argonne/Verdun battlefields. Once you have seen those mine craters that mark the site where an entire village was blown off the face of the earth, you will never forget them!

Regards, Torrey

I have no doubt that caltrops of the type in question have been unearthed on WW1 battlefields, but even so I would have to question whether they were designed for the purpose of blocking trenches, or were appropriated as something that could have an alternative use. Looking at the size I cannot imagine that the logistics involved in transporting and deploying the large size would have been practical. Caltrops as I understand it were deployed in large quantities in a theme similar to anti-personnel mines of later conflicts, namely to divert enemy 'cavalry' forces into a killing zone of choice, or to break up a charge. Although they could be used as a booby-trap device and probably were, the limited damage inflicted on infantry by them although 'nasty' would not have a significant impact on a battle, besides the area of conflict was loaded with shards of metal and wire equally nasty. I even considered that the large caltrops could have been used in stream beds at possible mounted crossing points, but I always return to the same point that another poster already pointed out that barbed wire was more likely to be used. Caltrops of the large size must be quite rare, whereas smaller versions are still reasonably common, that suggests to me that their use was very limited. It may have been an idea that 'bigger was better' and that like a lot of other Great War developments did not last the distance.

Hopefully someone will find a photograph or patent drawing that will bring us to an answer.

khaki

Not sure how used in WW1 but in medieval times caltrops were typically used to obstruct choke points for cavalry, these could include bridges and their approaches and a favourite spot was fords (but ordinary caltrops were used)

A typical method for blocking trenches (especially where the enemy was occupying part of the same trench system and a bomb stop was needed) was made by nailing a number of lengths of wood together to form what in WW2 became known as a Czech Hedgehog and then looping barbed wire around it. This made a form of giant caltrop that could be easily and quickly rolled into a trench in an emergency but would be difficult to get out.

WW1 equivalent of the Vietnam pit with a stake - these were fitted with a pole to which a bayonet was fixed.

post-9885-079635200 1278715631.jpg

• 9 years later...

Just stumbled onto this caltrop site to which I have already posted, it occurred to me that the most bizarre weapons I have seen  came out of India,  Perhaps a caltrop of such size would have been used in old India to break up charges by military elephants?

khaki

41 minutes ago, Khaki said:

Just stumbled onto this caltrop site to which I have already posted, it occurred to me that the most bizarre weapons I have seen  came out of India,  Perhaps a caltrop of such size would have been used in old India to break up charges by military elephants?

khaki

It certainly looks elephantine. 

I have two designs, the first is the same as the one posted by Cnock:#12,(British), the other sort is more solid and slightly smaller (German, I’m told!). 

226E441D-27B3-48A9-882B-52F8A06FFEA2.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Hello GWF1967

I would think that the drilled type in front is designed to be nailed to wooden sheets for fast dispersal on soft country land  against horse , I believe you are correct, German manufacture. there exists a GW image of such boards made ready for use. The other model I am not so sure, maybe later war where there was more vehicular use with inflatable tires.

khaki

The large caltrops are without doubt French WW1. I have one from the Argonne, and the Romagne 14-18 museum has many on display.  I talked with Jean Paul de Vries at the museum and he said he always wears steel soled work boots when in the forests due to the numbers still lying about.  The flat ones mentioned up thread were designed to be manufactured from 3 strips held together centrally with a rivet. They were flat for transit and when deployed were to be bent into shape.  

Re post 31

The caltrop with the hole is German and around 25-30 were taken aloft threaded onto a piece of stiff wire. The wire rods were up ended and dropped over the side, the Gunner retaining the wire. I've seen a whole line of them rusted together. Neat and safe way of carrying them. 

12 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Re post 31

The caltrop with the hole is German and around 25-30 were taken aloft threaded onto a piece of stiff wire. The wire rods were up ended and dropped over the side, the Gunner retaining the wire. I've seen a whole line of them rusted together. Neat and safe way of carrying them. 

Many thanks G.B; 

The chap I bought them from had quite a few. He was sure they were German,  though I’m pretty sure that was all he knew about them.