Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Devonshire Regiment in Salonika

Guest Warburton

Guest Warburton

This is a bit of a long shot i feel but does anyone out there have the 10th Devonshire Regiment War Diary.

If so could they see if it perhaps makes mention of 2nd Lieutenant J.S. Kirby. He was KIA 10/2/1917 in Salonika, he is commemorated on the Dorian Memorial in Greece.

Thankyou for looking

warburton

Warburton

Although I don't have the whole war diary to hand I do have copies of the reports relating to the 10th Devons trench raid on Petit Couronne during the night of 10-11 February 1917, along with a couple of 1st hand accounts. This is one of the actions covered in my forthcoming book on the British Salonika Force.

Petit Couronne was the key hilltop position in the Bulgarian front line at Doiran. The raid undertaken by the Devons was a battalion size attack aimed at destroying machine gun and trench mortar positions and any large dugouts that could be located. Although well established on the hill by 2230 hrs, the battalion could make little headway towards their main objectives. Suffering numerous casualties, low on ammunition and with increasing numbers of enemy infantry arriving on Petit Couronne the Devons retired in the early hours of 11 February, taking 100 wounded with them. It is very probable that Lt Kirby was one of those killed during the action whose body was not recovered. On the night of 24-25 April 1917, the 10th Devons again attacked Petit Couronne, this time as part of 79th Brigade assault, part of the 1st Battle of Doiran.

If you'd like copies of the information I have regarding the raid please let me have your postal address.

ALAN

Guest Warburton

Hi Alan - hope you got the message I sent to you ?

Thanks for the above information , its very useful - I look forward to receiving more shortly.

Warburton

• 12 years later...

Hi guys, 

i am trying to find out as much information as possible about my great grandad corporal  John Glenister (13210). He was part of the 10th Devonshire battalion. He died on the 24th April 1917. I plan to take my dad (his grandson) over for his 70th birthday next year on 100 year anniversary of John's passing. I have no idea where to look or what to do. Any info or advice is most welcome. 

Thanks

Ben